Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hagerty article
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Hagerty article Reply with quote

I just tripped across this article, thought I’d share...
https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2...lian-shape

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Hagerty article Reply with quote

Awesome article, thanks for sharing. I laughed at the commercial where the Ghia couldn't get through the paper sheet! Remembering some of those old VW ads when I was a kid.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Hagerty article Reply with quote

$57k for a best in world lowlight convertible? I don't think so...

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Hagerty article Reply with quote

Hagerty.com wrote:
All-things air-cooled (well, mainly Porsches) came back into style in a big way in 2014–15, and although Karmann Ghias don’t have Porsche performance, they’re made with similar ingredients and, of course, there are those good looks. We recorded a massive 80-percent spike in condition #2 values in 2015, right in the middle of Porsche-mania. That surge predated recent growth for Beetles and even growth for the Porsche 914. Karmann Ghia prices have been steadier since then, however, with just 4-percent growth since 2015. Most of that growth has been for convertibles in top condition, and currently coupes are worth about 28-percent less than their soft-top siblings. And now that things have settled down, the Karmann Ghia currently carries a Hagerty Vehicle Rating of 56.

[The HVR, based on a scale of 0–100, measures how a collector vehicle is performing compared to the overall market. A score below 50 means a car is lagging behind the market, 50 means it is keeping pace, and a score above 50 indicates a hot market—the higher, the hotter.]

A rating of 56 is a big rebound from the Karmann Ghia’s previous rating of 37, but it still puts it in roughly the middle of the market. The metrics that make up the rating (Hagerty Price Guide values, insurance and quoting activity, private and auction sales) point to things staying where they are.

And where is that? Values range from $6100 for a condition #4 (fair) later coupe to $57,600 for a best-in-the-world 1958–63 convertible, while driver-quality examples can be had from the low to upper teens, depending on year and body style.

All very interesting, and all "Good News". Smile

...now if buyers could just begin to believe that hype, perhaps guys like iowegian could collect an actual sale price that's much closer to what these cars should be worth considering their rare combination of elegant classic style and semi-coachbuilt construction.

For me, the author loses a bit of credibility when they fail to note the distinction between the value of a lowlight Karmann Ghia Ccabriolet vs. the later models and just clump together the 1958 to 1963 model years.
Then again, they probably know more than I do so perhaps that lowlight price premium that previously existed is fading away as the supply of available clean Karmann Ghia Cabriolets begins to dwindle.
52brezelfenster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Hagerty article Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing, that was a good read. Will be interesting to see what this one does @ Mecum Monterey this week:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0819-393053/1966-volkswagen-karmann-ghia/

Dustin
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hagerty article Reply with quote

52brezelfenster wrote:
Thanks for sharing, that was a good read. Will be interesting to see what this one does @ Mecum Monterey this week:

Dustin
Obviously the "Dual Exhaust" mentioned in the Highlights section of the vehicle listing will help command a premium price. Very Happy

Sea Blue is a very lovely color, though, and hopefully that will help catch the eye of someone with deep pockets.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Hagerty article Reply with quote

Wiggy wrote:

retrowagen wrote:
Highest I've heard of yet is $85k for a beautiful Cabriolet; $60k or so for a Coupe (the highly unoriginal but still attractive Coupe with Judson that Wayne Carini flipped).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Hagerty article Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
Wiggy wrote:

retrowagen wrote:
Highest I've heard of yet is $85k for a beautiful Cabriolet; $60k or so for a Coupe (the highly unoriginal but still attractive Coupe with Judson that Wayne Carini flipped).

There have been a few traded at the 75 to 85k level. I wouldn’t sell my 58 for that low of a price, that’s for sure.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Hagerty article Reply with quote

Wiggy wrote:

There have been a few traded at the 75 to 85k level. I wouldn’t sell my 58 for that low of a price, that’s for sure.

Agreed.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Hagerty article Reply with quote

They claim to use a lot of data to arrive at their price estimations. Of ourse they aren't going to know about insider trades or cash deals and the few outlier big public sales are going to be averaged in with all the low ball sales.
Good news is our cars continue to go up in value.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Hagerty article Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
They claim to use a lot of data to arrive at their price estimations. Of ourse they aren't going to know about insider trades or cash deals and the few outlier big public sales are going to be averaged in with all the low ball sales.
Good news is our cars continue to go up in value.

I have no idea how Hagerty comes up with their prices, but I do know that they
are willing to insure my Ghia for WAY more than it is selling for. Crying or Very sad
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Hagerty article Reply with quote

Hey as long as you're willing to pay the premium they'll insure it for whatever you want Very Happy
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Hagerty article Reply with quote

Fools and their money are soon parted.

bnc
52brezelfenster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Hagerty article Reply with quote

Saw this one go over the block TV last night. Not sure if it has an ownership history back to a samba member(s) but if so, really nice job on the preservation to those folks involved. Beautiful original interior, tidy engine bay, great stance. It showed really well. Almost got to 30k but it wasn't enough to cut it loose.

Will make someone a great cruiser once it finds a new home.

KGCoupe wrote:
52brezelfenster wrote:

Dustin
Obviously the "Dual Exhaust" mentioned in the Highlights section of the vehicle listing will help command a premium price. Very Happy

Sea Blue is a very lovely color, though, and hopefully that will help catch the eye of someone with deep pockets.
jason_hamilton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hagerty article Reply with quote

BringATrailer is a nice way to monitor the market as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Hagerty article Reply with quote

Once upon a time, I restored this car......almost had the opportunity to buy it back. Sold at the art gallery sale in LA, CA. So other then the knowledgable few here no one knew of the sales price. Let alone the restoration cost put into that car by a retired dentist who's father previously owned a VW dealership in the 50's/60's.

I've been looking for an original lowlight hardtop metal sunroof car as of late.....those that have been presented to me are well north of $35k for cars that require complete restorations. Lots of speculation in the Ghia market without substantiated sales to back up the ridiculous asking price for projects.

There have been several "finished" restoration or cleaned up older restored hardtop lowlights for sale for months on end priced between $25K-35K or more with no takers. Just my observations.

Definitely agree 55-59 need to be separated from 60-63, just as 64-67 and 68-70, etc, etc. should be defined a different class of Ghia.

Active 23 Window Samba Collector/Restorer,since 1986

Last edited by Douglas Denlinger on Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Hagerty article Reply with quote

Douglas Denlinger wrote:

Once upon a time, I restored this car......almost had the opportunity to buy it back. Sold at the art gallery sale in LA, CA. So other then the knowledgable few here no one knew of the sales price. Let alone the restoration cost put into that car by a retired dentist who's father previously owned a VW dealership in the 50's/60's.

I've been looking for an original lowlight hardtop metal sunroof car as of late.....those that have been presented to me are well north of $35k for complete restorations, lots of speculation in the Ghia market without substantiated sales to back up the ridiculous asking price for projects.

There have been several "finished" restoration or cleaned up older restored hardtop lowlights for sale for months on end priced between $25K-35K or more with no takers. Just my observations.

Definitely agree 55-59 need to be separated from 60-63, just as 64-67 and 68-70, etc, etc. should be defined a different class of Ghia.

You can't restore a lowlight correctly for $25k.
No wonder there are very few professionally done restorations on Ghias.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Hagerty article Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Douglas Denlinger wrote:

I've been looking for an original lowlight hardtop metal sunroof car as of late.....those that have been presented to me are well north of $35k for complete restorations, lots of speculation in the Ghia market without substantiated sales to back up the ridiculous asking price for projects.

Hence the "finished" in quotations..... Very Happy

Active 23 Window Samba Collector/Restorer,since 1986
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Hagerty article Reply with quote

Douglas Denlinger wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
Douglas Denlinger wrote:

It's my impression that the number of surviving "original lowlight hardtop metal sunroof" Karmann Ghias can probably be counted on one hand.

I'm by no means an expert on that subject, though, but even if I'm off by a factor of 10X that still means what you are looking for is rare and would (or at least theoretically, should) carry an associated premium in value.

... but then you already knew that. Smile
To me, though, that would be the "ultimate" Karmann Ghia to find/own.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Hagerty article Reply with quote

Douglas Denlinger wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
Douglas Denlinger wrote:

Yeah, I just looked at the ones up for sale, not a single one is done correctly. Not even sure if that makes a difference in price...are there even any serious collectors into lowlight Ghias who even know what is correct and are willing to pay?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: