Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VanWonder North Vancouver. Manual Transaxle Rebuild?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: VanWonder North Vancouver. Manual Transaxle Rebuild? Reply with quote

Hi folks.

Searched here and in buyer feedback, no obvious direct hits.

For those who've had their Vanagon manual transaxle rebuilt by VanWonder in North Vancouver:

how has it held up over the long term?

I've nothing but good dealings with this shop but am looking for user feedback on tranny rebuilds by them.

Feel free to private email me if you want.

Neil.

edited.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: VanWonder North Vancouver. Manual Transaxle Rebuild? Reply with quote

I don’t think they do the rebuild themselves, but ship it out to a local builder. The only shop I know that does Vanagon rebuilds in the area is Bert’s on Kingsway. I suspect they ship it to them. I don’t think Bert’s does a whole lot of these and probably don’t do any upgrades.

I would look at AA Transaxle in WA. It’s only a couple hours away. But you need to do the r&r.
calfredson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: VanWonder North Vancouver. Manual Transaxle Rebuild? Reply with quote

I do NOT recommend having your transaxle rebuilt at Bert's. I have had my (Syncro) transaxle fail twice in as many years after having it rebuilt there. I would have Van Wonder drop the transaxle and ship it to AA or German Transaxle to be rebuilt.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: VanWonder North Vancouver. Manual Transaxle Rebuild? Reply with quote

Ok. Thanks for the replies on that.

Berts was another name I recall.

I may be working on old info. At one point, I think John at VanWonder was rebuilding transaxles but that may've been some years ago.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
redriverhill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: VanWonder North Vancouver. Manual Transaxle Rebuild? Reply with quote

Hi Neil,
I have spoken with John at Van Wonder many times though I have never had any work done by him but I know other reputable shops are using him for rebuilt engines. he seems like quite a good guy. I took my syncro trans down to Gary Zink in Washington it was by far the most affordable and I have been happy with the results I have 50,000 km on the tranny.

River Hill
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: VanWonder North Vancouver. Manual Transaxle Rebuild? Reply with quote

I spoke with Adria Imports on Broadway about my 4 speed diesel and he indicated he rebuilt transmissions on site. I have not gone any further but maybe someone else here has.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: