Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

autostick top end speed
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

Here is a scan I took of the autostick section of my Haynes manual, it's a good read if you have time. It might provide some insight for some of the questions being posited here. I notice it doesn't give an ATF pressure rating at the pump but it does give one for the TC. (Also, this manual is specifically for 1300 and 1500cc engines so it will only give the specs for the earlier type autostick-- for example note the higher final drive ratio of 4.375:1.)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
JonRich55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

Haven't seen the Hynes version of this in years. Thanks for Posting!

I wonder if your top end has suffered by going to a 1600 with a SP and the smaller 1500 carb. The 34-3 came out with the 1600 DP to be able to supply the added fuel for the slightly larger engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

JonRich55 wrote:
Haven't seen the Hynes version of this in years. Thanks for Posting!

I wonder if your top end has suffered by going to a 1600 with a SP and the smaller 1500 carb. The 34-3 came out with the 1600 DP to be able to supply the added fuel for the slightly larger engine.

The 30 PICT 3 I am using now was used on the 1600cc single port. (The single ports used the single piece intake manifold with the smaller neck opening.) It is the correct carb for my engine.

The 30-1 and 30-2 were originally used with the 1500cc.

The 34 PICT-3 came out in 71 with the change to the dual port engine and 3-piece intake manifold with the larger neck.

From glutamodo's excellent research:

1600 SP engine
JonRich55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

I stand corrected. I forget that the 1600 did come out as a SP with the smaller carb.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

Also that Haynes manual I have I believe I got it for Christmas of 1986. Back then Haynes divided their Type 1 manuals into different ones based on the engine and other general similarities, so this one I own only really covers the 1300 and 1500 models (although I use it for my 1600 since it's still a single port like those engines.) They must have had at least 5 or 6 different manuals for the Type 1 back then... too bad somewhere along the line they combined them all into one manual that I can't believe didn't leave out some stuff.

I do find it interesting that the autostick section of this one still includes the wiring diagram for both early and late model autosticks though.

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

I have a feeling most of my troubles regarding top speed can be boiled down to a power output issue-- like a loose cylinder head, a smoke black spark plug, etc... which is mainly the reason I decided to just go ahead and tear into the engine.

1600 SP engine
JonRich55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

I do remember the Hynes being broken down by engines, always thought that was an interesting way to do it.

My first VW repair book was the Clymer version....I think I still have it somewhere. Those were the days...when everyone carried parts for them on the shelf.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

JonRich55 wrote:
I do remember the Hynes being broken down by engines, always thought that was an interesting way to do it.

My first VW repair book was the Clymer version....I think I still have it somewhere. Those were the days...when everyone carried parts for them on the shelf.

I went through the huge stack of receipts my dad left in the glove box not too long ago-- he bought this car new in 69 I found receipts from places like Western Auto, Otasco (Oklahoma Tire & Auto Supply Co.) Stinger Sam etc... places I hadn't heard of in years.
The coolest thing I came across in recent years is long story short about 7-8 years ago I temporarily stayed in a tiny town called Decatur Arkansas for a couple weeks. Right down the street was an actual general store, I went in there and over in the corner they had an auto parts section, they still had brand new VDO gauges for the VW aircooleds, Bosch distributors, Solex carbs etc. I was floored. Walmart put them out of business when they decided to try an experimental type store in small towns, it failed and they pulled out of those towns a couple years later but not before driving that general store and lots of other mom and pop businesses away. leaving the residents of those towns with nothing. Capitalist greed at its finest

1600 SP engine
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
The coolest thing I came across in recent years is long story short about 7-8 years ago I temporarily stayed in a tiny town called Decatur Arkansas for a couple weeks. Right down the street was an actual general store, I went in there and over in the corner they had an auto parts section, they still had brand new VDO gauges for the VW aircooleds, Bosch distributors, Solex carbs etc.

Heaven in Arkansas.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
sb001 wrote:
The coolest thing I came across in recent years is long story short about 7-8 years ago I temporarily stayed in a tiny town called Decatur Arkansas for a couple weeks. Right down the street was an actual general store, I went in there and over in the corner they had an auto parts section, they still had brand new VDO gauges for the VW aircooleds, Bosch distributors, Solex carbs etc.

Heaven in Arkansas.

Well at least there's still Way Out Salvage just a couple hours away....

1600 SP engine
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:

Are those recent pictures? I thought he shipped all the busses out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
sb001 wrote:

Are those recent pictures? I thought he shipped all the busses out.

Did he?? I had no idea. No those were taken a few years ago.

1600 SP engine
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

I spoke to him a while back. He said he shipped them all over. It may have been the aircooled earlier models only.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
Wow. Next you might be telling me that Mofoco has neutral safety switches for less than $100! I just broke mine putting it back in. Threads pooped right off. Ugh.

Well I got my replacement transmission pan gaskets in from Mofoco today (ordered 2 of them for that price) and they are most definitely the wrong ones. The link I posted above shows they have the correct VW part number for the autostick transmission pan, but these are way too big, and cork material. I suppose maybe they are for a full on automatic like in a Type 3, but not sure. Hopefully I can get it straightened out with Mofoco Monday.

Edit: Yep I'm pretty sure this is what they sent me:

https://www.evwparts.com/vwparts/003321371.html

1600 SP engine
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

Bummer. If you are deft with a razor knife, the gasket paper at AutoZone seems to match perfectly the material and thickness of the $17 gasket I ordered from evwparts. Use a hole punch to cut the bolt holes.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

Let me know how it goes. I have autostick transmission gaskets. Mine are black in color.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

So...
I called Mofoco this morning... I informed them they sent me the wrong gasket and that I was pretty sure this was a gasket for a full automatic...

Here is my drain pan:

Here's the picture they show on their website with the correct part number, looks like the correct gasket to me:

https://www.mofoco.com/item/001_301_139A_Automatic_Transmission_Pan_Gasket/3549

Here's what they sent me in comparison to my drain pan:

When I asked if I could exchange them for the correct gasket the guy on the phone tried to tell me this was the correct gasket for a "Super Beetle AND a Type 3 automatic" and it's the only gasket he's ever carried. I had to actually remind him that they never put a full automatic in a Type 1... Rolling Eyes I sent him an email back with these photos showing the issue.

Guess I'll be looking for the correct gasket somwhere else, no way I'm paying a ridiculous $17 for it from evwparts though. I see bugcity carries a cheap version for about $7, maybe I'll give them a shot.

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

Update on the pan gasket: Heimlich (Marcel @ vwnos.com) contacted me and informed me he has the correct autostick pan gaskets:

https://www.vwnos.com/001-301-139-a

Only $4.95 and his shipping is also cheaper than anyone else's I have found. For that price I ordered 3 of them. I posted this over in my 69 refresh thread as well.

1600 SP engine
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

Very good to know. Thanks for sharing.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
Very good to know. Thanks for sharing.

Tom he also mentioned that these gaskets are apparently Goetz, which is high quality West German. If so that is a steal price for these.

1600 SP engine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: