Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 15 Window resurrection
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I was planning to weld my old coupler and throw it in the bus as a spare. Will space them apart so everything stays in adjustment when swapped though.

Nice quick fix with the vice grips. I will remember that for when mine fails in an inconvenient spot. Smile
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Could your popping out of gear be because the linkage is out of adjustment now and not going all the way in gear?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:

Oh, and to go with the coupler coming apart, this started happening on the way to the show:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Coffee, wallet, snacks, bungee cord for shifter and lots of tylenol; the essential vw bus travel kit.

It's funny cause it's true! Laughing
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

[quote="Who.Me?"]
Burlyhammer wrote:

I had a less than thrilling backup coupler that was original to the bus just in case

Burlyhammer wrote:
None of the vendors had a shift rod coupler, so we will need to get a new one. I am not wanting to order another one from WW, so I will see what else is available. Does anyone have a recommendation?

If you want a bomb-proof coupler, cut your original one in half (the top one in your picture above) and clean the rubber out of it. Weld the two halves together to make a solid coupler. That's what a previous owner did with mine. I took it out and replaced it with a repro coupler that separated before I even got the truck out of the garage. I put the welded one back on...

Some recommend drilling the coupler and adding bolts to hold the halves together if the rubber fails. I'm not sure what benefit the rubber actually gives though. It can't flex much, so I doubt it reduces wear on the hockey stick bush. The only reason I can think it's there is to reduce vibration in the gear stick, but I don't have any noticeable vibration with the welded one.

If you do weld your original one, make sure you line it up correctly.

Not sure if I've posted in your thread before. Awesome work!

That looks like a great idea. When I was scavenging for a replacement, I crawled under my double cab, and found that someone a long time ago had drilled and bolted that coupler together. I think I will try to weld my spare together and see how it goes. If there is too much vibration, I will try one of the urethane couplers.
Thanks Andy!
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Could your popping out of gear be because the linkage is out of adjustment now and not going all the way in gear?

I am hoping this is the cause of the problem. I did not try to adjust it anymore when I swapped out the coupler since my replacement coupler seemed iffy.

sgellis wrote:
I was planning to weld my old coupler and throw it in the bus as a spare. Will space them apart so everything stays in adjustment when swapped though.

Nice quick fix with the vice grips. I will remember that for when mine fails in an inconvenient spot. Smile

I am going to try to run mine with the coupler welded. I think I have a few big washers I can use to space the halves. I am going to start carrying a spare, too. I probably could have gotten a little fancier with my vice grip repair, but it got me home! Very Happy
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I found 2 3/4 washers that combined were the same thickness as the rubber between the two coupler halves:

I used the hockey stick from a Beetle transaxle to align the pieces and welded it up:

After painting the coupler, I went to remove the temporary coupler and noticed the nosecone mount looked strange, so:

When we were driving back from the VVA show on Sunday, it felt like we had a bad mount. I was hoping it was just the wonky coupler. Oh well...
I am going to try to get a few other odds and ends done while the motor is out. I will check the bell housing mounts too while the motor is out. Hopefully this repair will cure the transaxle from popping out of 4th. We will see.
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Was that a new WW mount? I bought one last year and was going to replace my ancient one when I do my frame horn repair but if this is going to happen then no way.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

orangebug60guy wrote:
Was that a new WW mount? I bought one last year and was going to replace my ancient one when I do my frame horn repair but if this is going to happen then no way.

This mount was not a WW one. It was the OG VW mount which looked good. I am sure this failure caused my shift rod coupler to fail. Chain reaction...
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Did it look cracked when it was installed? Just curious...
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
western auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
edgood1 wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:

Oh, and to go with the coupler coming apart, this started happening on the way to the show:

Coffee, wallet, snacks, bungee cord for shifter and lots of tylenol; the essential vw bus travel kit.

It's funny cause it's true! Laughing
too funny, I found a 60 kombi a while back with a u notched piece of flat strap that swiveled off parcel tray to hold shifter back
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Did it look cracked when it was installed? Just curious...

It looked good when I installed it. The metal part wasn’t rusty and the rubber was not deformed at all.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

We've been down all week, then the mailman brought us this:

We got the trans nosecone mount in, and I also replaced the trans cradle mounts. They were looking a bit stressed from the angle they were sitting when the nosecone mount let go. The ones I replaced were the same vintage as the nosecone mount, so I didn't want to take any chances!
Since I had the rear bumper off, I decided to start repairs. The original bumper matches the bus, but is very rotten. I had to use a small block of wood to keep it wedged into place when bolted to the bus. I have another deluxe bumper from the bus hanging on my shop wall, but there are a few broken bolts in it, and it's painted black. I'm hoping to get it finished this weekend.

Every part on both of these bumpers are rusty, bent or broken. No problem... Rolling Eyes

I got a text on Friday from SGELLIS While on their trip, their bus developed an oil leak in New Hampshire. They was able to make it up to Greenbush, and get the motor fixed. It was awesome to see this bus in person after following Stan's build thread. He did a fantastic job. What a beautiful bus and a couple of really nice people.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Ok, that's pretty cool that you guys were able to link up like that Cool Laughing

Gotta love that VW community. Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Was great fun. 2 hours to fix the oil leak but 1 of them was spent chatting. Haha

Can't thank you enough for the use of your garage, good food, camping space and even bus parts I have been looking for.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Was great fun. 2 hours to fix the oil leak but 1 of them was spent chatting. Haha

Can't thank you enough for the use of your garage, good food, camping space and even bus parts I have been looking for.

No problem! I'm glad you were able to get it fixed back on the road. Safe travels, and we will see you next time!
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I drove the bus up and down the road to make sure there were no issues with the mount or coupler, and it did jump out of 4th. I will continue with the bungee for now, and get the transaxle fixed this winter. While I had the rear bumper off, I replaced it with the bumper from the bus on my shop wall. It took a lot of banging, hammering, clamping, heating, welding, etc. but it is now back together, and back on the bus. I'm liking it!

I think I will start on the cargo doors next:
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I am planning on taking the bus to Trenton, NJ this weekend for the rescheduled Dubs in the Shrubs show, so I decided to upgrade the phone charging setup. Up until now we have been using a booster pack.

I am not sure where I got the receptacle from, but I have always wanted to use it.
I plan to repair/replace the cargo doors this winter, but need them to rattle a little less for now, so I am making a "temporary" repair to them. I just tacked the new metal in, and added some foam to help with things. Hopefully this will hold up going down the road:

Also, I was playing with some fog lights. These are Ford lights that I got with a box of other lights. I think they may end up on this bus. We'll see.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I’m taking the bus on a road trip hopefully going through 7 states and two countries. I drove the bus to work Friday and headed to MA 298 miles down
I’m taking a page out of SGELLIS thread for route mileage Wink

Urban camping

I met up with a friend and now we’re heading to NJ to the Trenton Dubs in the Shrubs show.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

We hit the road yesterday and aside from traffic had no issues. The bus does not like the long Connecticut hills. 300 miles through 4 states:

I’ve never been to this show before. So far so good:

I got to see the Acme Cleaners bus last night. I can’t wait to see it in the daylight:
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Continuing our adventure, we left the Dubs in the Shrubs show and headed to the Great Swamp in NJ to meet part of our group and prepare to head north. We camped at a friends house Sunday night and left for Woodstock NY for the first leg of the Canadaball Run 2019

Woodstock serious camping:

This little bird flew in the bus while I was sitting in the back seat reading:

After leaving Woodstock we had some minor mechanical issues, but NYs finest stopped to help us out with traffic on our way to Saratoga Springs NY:

The rain found us Wednesday morning:

On the way to Burlington VT

Ferry to VT

Arrived. After awhile the sun did come out and turn in to a beautiful evening beside Lake Champlain

We have 11 VWs and 23ish people in the group. We’ve covered about 350 miles so far. My total is up to 950 miles with a few days to go.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Jump to:
Page 80 of 86

Jump to: