Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hot Rod Beetle Ute
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

I bought a universal power window kit for this a couple of years ago.Wasn't really keen on the fitting set up.The window crank has the splined drive on it which sticks out about 40mm.Recently thought I may be able to make an ally cover which would hold the tweeter speaker for the sound system and hide the window crank.Decided that's the go.Started to fit up the winder motor.Really works well and is very smooth and quick to operate.I had already fitted the one piece window regulator.I have found some door jamb spring loaded contacts to transfer the power across.Don't know yet,because nothing will work with the door open. I bought another temp gauge with a chrome bezel to match the VW gauges.Might see if I can get the cover off and paint the needle white.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

Bent the new panel on the corners to sit tight against the dash.Painted with the hammertone finish.Another job done.
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

Looks super nice.😀
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

Update us!😀
nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

I restored an Oval fuel tank for this-new 10mm supply and 8mm return and fuel guage sender for my 68 Speedo.Have now decided that it's too crowded under the hood with the air con etc, and the tank holds only about 8 gallons.Will make a new ally unit to hold maybe 15 gallons and fit it in the tray behind the cab.Cut the filler from a wreck I have.Will graft that into the driver's side of the tray.Painted the shifter cover to match all the other grey stuff.Have finished the installation of all the power window stuff to one door.Was going to make new door cards and cover with the left over stuff from the seats.Made a trial trim from aluminium and will paint it body colour.Will use some stainless body mouldings from a 1303 I have plenty off.
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

How much fuel pressure going back to tank? 😀
nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

I have never put a guage on it.It's all standard Subaru stuff.I have made it all with the fittings used for normal air line pressure to take 150 PSI.
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

Irrc that is a GM turbo hydro 180 and in Oz they use them behind v8s so there should be info around about beefing them up.

Earlier today I was looking at a t3 'ute' aka pick up. I will see if I can screen grab the pic. Super rusty unfortunately.

nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

I have finished fitting the one piece glass regulator and the power window motors to the doors.Thought I might try making some polycarbonate/stainless wind deflectors like the 40's era soft top cars had.I then had some reverse pattern decals done of the early 60's VW Service Logo man .Stuck them on and grit blasted .Really pleased with it.Decided to make the door panels from 1mm aluminium and paint them.Will be the same grey I painted the arm rests.Finished the small speaker enclosures that hide the power window cranks

nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

I went to check on this today.It's a half hour drive.He has a bit of heat shrinking left on the back panel,a bit on the bonnet and it's not long before it comes home.He was going to finish the back of the roof today and get it in primer.I had the aluminium door panels painted this week to match the dark grey in the seats.The dash is finished other than the 2 holes I need to cut for the air gauges.

vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

Very nice. Door panels look perfect. 👍👍👍👍👍
nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

Got a few more jobs done on it today. All welding is finished on the cab.Need to rub the etch primer,fix any small faults the hit it with 2pac primer.I fitted a mesh Aussie sunvisor I restored a long time ago.Needed to drill the holes,sand back the swarf and then prime it all.Should have it home in a couple of weeks.Then the fun begins - building the tray.I was going to fit the 2 air guages for the suspension in the dash by the glovebox,but decided today to fit my Bud Vase there.Will make a new ally console in front of the auto shifter for the guages and the 4 air bag switches.

vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

Looks factory. Very nice..
nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

Thanks. That’s was the plan and hoped when finished it would look factory.It has turned out pretty good.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

Roof looks clean!
It looks very similar to my Double Cab rear cab roof
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

I cut the rear roof section from a Bay window to graft in.Just couldn't get it to look OK.I had several attempts to roll material,but couldn't get it either.Had a brainwave-close the rollers up real tight at one end.Worked.So did 2 pieces and joined in the middle.My number one request-it had to have a drip gutter along the back.Box ticked.
nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Roof looks clean!

Where will I go to see pics of it?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

nbturbo wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Roof looks clean!

Where will I go to see pics of it?

I don't know if there are specific photos of the roof but there are a lot of random pics here in this search link:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...r=everettb

Now that I think about it, there is no lip on the rear of the cab - it's flat - but I was thinking more about the shape you created.

Not my Truck but here's the best photo I could find quickly of how the gutter ends and the rear of the roof line is simply flat
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=824495

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

Thanks for the pic.I found a couple of good shots of the back of the roof on your Bus.I only had VW Bus roofs to use as examples.I have a Splitty and Bay Window here to check on.The dual cabs pics are of standards roofs-correct.If I could have found a Splitty Dual Cab,I would never have started this project.It would have got the same treatment though-Suby engine,Bus auto trans,air bag suspension etc,etc.I am doing an auto trans conversion in a 63 Bus at the moment.IRS conversion done.Using all Type 3 suspension arms,but I used the Bus spring plates and torsion bars.Made a jig from a Type 3 spring plate.Just tak weld it to the bus one to drill the holes and cut the length with a 5inch.Fitted a 69 Bay front beam.Going to fit dropped spindles and put later disc brakes on.Will keep the rear drum brakes,but get some new drums with 5X112 pattern.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: