Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 engine vs Upgraded Type 1
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine vs Upgraded Type 1 Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
People are funny things!

I was at a VW meet last summer and there was a fellow there that I was amused by. He had a very nice example of an original 356 that was virtually untouched even down to original paint - but it had a type 4 engine! Being a "Posche" guy among VWs he was pleasant enough but a little stand off-ish. Not very talkative.

I suspect he was caught between two worlds, didn't fit with the real Porsche guys but maybe didn't feel quite at home with the lowly VWs either! This dilemma has been faced by the 914 guys ever since they came out and the owners of the 924, 944, 928 series that came later were in the same boat as well.

By the way, how many 924 owners said they were driving an Audi? Or owners of the 1700cc Horizon/Omni cars said they had VW Rabbits? 3.5 liter Rover owners claim to be running GMs?

In my view if that is the car the engine came out of then that is the engine make because the manufacturer of the car chose that engine.

Its really Not hard. If you drive a 924 or a Omni, your driving a piece of shit and nobody cares who made the engine. If anyone asks, you tell them you don't own a car, you carpool or something.

I drove TWO 924's in high school. When people asked what I drove, I avoided saying anything cause even non-car guys knew they were Wanna-be Porsche's. If they probed deeper, I was honest and said a Porsche 924 with a VW/Audi engine. They are still piles of crap.

Trying to Pass off a 924 engine as Genuine Porsche manufactured quality is low class, similar to saying a type 4 is Porsche Manufactured. The only difference, is the Type 4 is something to be proud of, and should be proud! Where as the 924 Audi/vw engine not so much.

If you drive a 924S, you get a actual 944 PORSCHE engine.
If you drive 944 or 928, they both have Genuine PORSCHE engines. And guess what? They say PORSCHE all over them! Its obvious.

As said earlier, when a Porsche guy, Camaro guy, Mustang guy, etc gets spanked by a type 4, Tell them the truth that they got beat by a VW. VW Logo

VW made all those changes to the type 4, learning everything from the type 1, and for people to give credit to Porsche that didn't even manufacture it is demeaning to VW.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine vs Upgraded Type 1 Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
As said earlier, when a Porsche guy, Camaro guy, Mustang guy, etc gets spanked by a type 4, Tell them the truth that they got beat by a VW Bus.

Fixed for you.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine vs Upgraded Type 1 Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
jpaull wrote:
As said earlier, when a Porsche guy, Camaro guy, Mustang guy, etc gets spanked by a type 4, Tell them the truth that they got beat by a VW Bus.

Fixed for you.

Lol Very Happy
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine vs Upgraded Type 1 Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
jpaull wrote:

Fixed for you.

Yes even better! Nothing like being spanked by something powered by a VW bus engine!!!
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine vs Upgraded Type 1 Reply with quote

Then what the hell is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59j-a86YU9M

Race taxi
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine vs Upgraded Type 1 Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
Then what the hell is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59j-a86YU9M

Race taxi

It's a 993 Porsche Turbo.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine vs Upgraded Type 1 Reply with quote

There's just something very comical about seeing a bus go that fast.

H2OSB
Ebel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine vs Upgraded Type 1 Reply with quote

What engine did a 924 use? I’m just not familiar with them. If I ever finish getting divorced and finish my oxyboxer you can bet I’ll tell everyone it’s an engine from a vw bus.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine vs Upgraded Type 1 Reply with quote

Ebel wrote:
What engine did a 924 use?

The original 924 used a Audi inline 4.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine vs Upgraded Type 1 Reply with quote

Ooo, and I want to put an Audi 5cyl turbo in a 924. It bolts to the gearbox. It's just unfortunate I have an aversion to turbos. Crying or Very sad

H2OSB
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine vs Upgraded Type 1 Reply with quote

The 924 engine was out of an Audi 100 and had 95 hp then later 115 hp so it actually had better acceleration than the 914. The engine by the way had a reputation of being virtually indestructible.

When it first came out Road and Track did a comparison between the 924 and the RX7. The 924 came out ahead in everything accept acceleration.

They were a definite improvement over the 914 in driver comfort and a huge improvement in serviceability.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine vs Upgraded Type 1 Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
JPaull.....I frequently remove pictures from quoted posts...because I consider it a waste of space to keep reposting the same 3 pictures through a thread and having to fight through the crap just to read what you actually have to say.

And...respectfully you are incorrect.

Since about the mid 1960's...virtually all Porsche cars...not even looking at the 914...have used parts stamped VW, parts stamped Porsche and parts stamped a whole range of manufacturers. Its where the design was intended to be and was ONLY used that makes it what it is.

Same could be said for the Karmann ghia. VW...or Italian sports car? Yeah...we all know its a VW. Its body was designed by Ghia of Italy...for its intended use in the VW. The 914 design was actually "penned" by Gugelot Design of Germany. How come we dont call it a Gugelot?

VW and Porsche had joint development contract agreements going all the way back to day one at Porsche....Porsche doing engineering development for VW. VW needed the engineering and Porsche needed the work. VW needed to fufill its contract agreement for subbing out to Porsche and Porsche needed to replace the 912. However In reality the vast majority of "tech" in all Porsches of that time...partly...originally....jointly.... came from VW drawing boards.

Just spent half of last week flying between continents. How come We dont call the A-320, A-380 and other airliners a Rolls Royce?....it has Rolls Royce engines....right? Wink

The same Porsche philes that have been screaming blasphemy about the 914 since 1968....are paying prices that are pushing $30-40k for good examples...and early 911's routinely get spanked on the track by 914's...and the 914 spec of 2.0L 914 engine never came in any other car.

If you have one...its a Porche 914 engine. All of the others...1.7L and 1.8L...its just a VW type 4 engine that may also have fit in a 914. Ray

Its a Porsche 914's engine Manufactured by 100% VW.

If you want to say the car the engine resides in, determines what you call the engine, I see your rational. I just don't agree. Its demeaning to VW's TYPE 4 contribution on their own and giving false credit to Porsche. Did Porsche Make that engine? NO.

Its also something that people of low class do to boost their ego by saying their VW manufactured engine is manufactured by Porsche, trying to earn status to "rise above lowly VW" when its still made by VW, which is stupid. These are the kinds of people that would grind off the multiple vw logos all over their type 4 case, and put a Porsche emblem on it trying to suggest it was actually MANUFACTURED by Porsche.

As you mentioned, 914's value/performance is much better then Porsche 911's. So be proud of the Type 4 and it being made by VW instead of Porsche.

Hey...I drive a 412. To me...they are all VW engines. They ALL came from a 411...FIRST.

I just dont get rabidly hung up like you guys and FAR too many Porsche owners (who cannot even work on their own cars)...on whether a 2.0L unit specific only to a Porsche badged car...and never came in a VW car....is called Porsche or VW. I dont turn a hairy eye at that at all.

It still does not mean the VW the engine is residing in is a Porsche.

I get specific in what I care about. If some dude has a 1.7L in his bug....its A VW engine...always has been. Too many more important things to argue about. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine vs Upgraded Type 1 Reply with quote

More Type 4 goodness Very Happy Very Happy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG0ZdF5z4xQ

The current Australian Hill Climb record holder on many tracks in the over 3lt class (Unlimited). a type 4 turbo . VW engined bug . It does have Pauter Heads/rods so does that make it a Pauter not a VW Very Happy I'm guessing the crank does not have VW stamped on it either ,But the case will .

Another hill climb winner , 102x71 type 4 with a roots blower , stock crank ,and AMC casting VW heads , he even ran stock type 4 rods for years before one finally let go .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMiySjHeVSI
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine vs Upgraded Type 1 Reply with quote

Strange irony. I'm a Porsche owner as well. I specifically look for non-Porsche parts that will fit my car so I don't have to pay the Porsche tax. It usually involves getting Bosch fuel injection components from 80s Volvos and BMWs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine vs Upgraded Type 1 Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
Strange irony. I'm a Porsche owner as well. I specifically look for non-Porsche parts that will fit my car so I don't have to pay the Porsche tax. It usually involves getting Bosch fuel injection components from 80s Volvos and BMWs.

Laughing Which isall good...because Porsche didn't actually build any fuel injection parts themselves except for a few specialty housings and manifolds. Every single electronic part was Bosch, Hella, SWF etc.

Its hilarious the 914 guys searching and paying in gold for the elusive 914 2.0L "039" MPS sensor......when its the same part as the "E" series that came in the late 411 and 412's. Just need to flip the spacer ring to the other side of the diaphragm inside ...about 5 minutes...and readjust.

Same exact part in all respects. If you are building an exact restoration and need the Porsche numbered part...cool. If you just need an identical functioning part....you can get it from several other cars. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: