Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ethanol-free Gas
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Ethanol-free Gas Reply with quote

A while back I found a local source for ethanol-free gas. The downsides are two-fold. They only fill gas cans M-F and the price is a premium at $4.70/gal. I’ve been doing it but it’s an expensive inconvenience.
Today I went to Buc-ees (my favorite gas-station-and-everything-store - it’s a Texas thing) to get my favorite BBQ rub, Meat Church “The Gospel”, and I see they’ve added a second row of gas pumps. O Happy Day!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You bet I filled up!
1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blatzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-free Gas Reply with quote

yeah bud ee!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-free Gas Reply with quote

while it's nice to have the option, I have never had an issue with ethanol, and i'm on the coast line.

I have had equipment stored for up to 2 years without use, and never had any issues. no stabilizers etc. other than being robbed 3-4 mpg I don't see a need to solely use it unless you're chasing numbers (mpg or hp)

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-free Gas Reply with quote

ethanol gas permeates older type fuel lines so you can always smell it. When I went to Gates Barricade that stopped because it is designed for ethanol. My lawn tools like the hedger, leaf blower, small rototiller, etc all have carb problems in a year if I don't run them dry every time I use them. Add gas, use, drain, run until stops. Once I started doing that my carb issues went away. Lawn mower has a honda engine and it doesn't seem affected.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-free Gas Reply with quote

You are paying 90 cents more per gallon for the a 5% mpg performance bump as the choice next to it, but if it makes you happy, be happy.
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-free Gas Reply with quote

To each there own. Some people will only drink Bud Light. Good for them! There is no good reason to dilute gasoline with ethanol except another federal government boondoggle. I choose to not participate when I have a choice.
1966 Beetle
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-free Gas Reply with quote

Double post deleted
1966 Beetle

Last edited by SevenOaks on Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-free Gas Reply with quote

as a comment on the logic - when we are traveling cross country (Sable or Acura) and can get ethanol free gas we usually see a 12% - 18% bump in mileage. In my math $279.9 \ $329.9 is a 15% difference if we are comparing equal octane ratings. We had a Shell near here that was selling 92 Octane ethanol free for awhile a few years back and it gave better mileage than the ethanol gas. But it was always a pain to get in or out of the station so we stopped going there.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-free Gas Reply with quote

SevenOaks wrote:
Double post deleted
You can go into edit and delete the entire post by checking the “delete this post” box. Bottom box in edit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-free Gas Reply with quote

Bucees is know for having ethanol free gas. I'm surprised they have a separate pump for it. A lot of the time they just let everyone know it's ethanol free. I've only seen these on the outskirts of Houston as I heard the EPA forces Houston to have ethanol in their gas.

Which Bucees did you find this at?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-free Gas Reply with quote

This is on I-45 in Texas City.
1966 Beetle
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-free Gas Reply with quote

Link

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-free Gas Reply with quote

Damn Notchboy. You managed to sneak in another “Shaka” Laughing Laughing Cool
🤙

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
ronzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-free Gas Reply with quote

SevenOaks I was there Friday, Bucees TX City. I’m just north of Ellington Field, Space Center blvd.

Hoping to get our motor back from Kermit @ Karparts in a few weeks.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-free Gas Reply with quote

About 18% drop wit her E85

3% drop with E10, almost in the measurement noise for most people

If you “ see “ more change than this something other than the gas is changing

It’s a basic fuel value calculation.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-free Gas Reply with quote

Despite everything I've done (lower float, triple-check the needle valve, installed a phenolic spacer under the carb) in my Thing, I've noticed that when I fill up with ethanol gas, after parking the engine bay will heat soak a bit, and cause the a little bit of gas in the carb to expand and spill over and flood the engine a little bit and also get into the crankcase.

If it sits long enough to evaporate that gas or for a short enough time to not heat soak there is no problem (with starting, at least). Just in that interim period.

So I've experimented with ethanol-free gas and have noticed that the problem is significantly reduced.

Haven't noticed a big difference in my mower, though based on everything I've ever heard about water absorption and my distaste for dicking with small engines, I use ethanol-free in it.

In fuel-injected vehicles, I don't ever worry about it.

Perhaps the gas companies in Skills' area have some kind of additive already that reduces some of the issues? Or he runs enough gas through his weed eater that it isn't in there long enough to cause a problem. I only get out the weed eater every so often.

I think a lot of the problems with small engines and ethanol is that they tend to sit for long periods of time for many folks.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-free Gas Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

Link

Great clip

Dont forget to add dry gas to remove the water from the recovered gas.

You can use either the methanol version or the 1-Hydroxyethane version for even better performance and gas mileage used by NASCAR

Serious part of post - don't use your hand to mix gasoline/other fluids - thats nasty crap in there on your body. Stopper it (vent it after every 5 seconds of shaking) or use a gas resistant piece of material
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-free Gas Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Link

Great clip
Serious part of post - don't use your hand to mix gasoline/other fluids - thats nasty crap in there on your body. Stopper it (vent it after every 5 seconds of shaking) or use a gas resistant piece of material

Right! That guy in the blue plaid is only 29 Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-free Gas Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Don't forget to add dry gas to remove the water from the recovered gas.

But isn't "dry gas" just alcohol?
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-free Gas Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
About 18% drop wit her E85

3% drop with E10, almost in the measurement noise for most people

If you “ see “ more change than this something other than the gas is changing

It’s a basic fuel value calculation.

what is not in the calculation is there is no standard for how much water can be in that ethanol when it is mixed with the gasoline. Because ethanol will hold water in suspension, water can be added by an unscrupulous person to cut the fuel. That additional water cuts the mileage significantly because it doesn't burn. As long as it isn't to the point of saturation you will never know it. We've run into it several times at one specific station. Both our cars will suffer bad mileage at the same time from that station. I no longer buy gasoline there, and I let the company that owns it know that it was going on.

Last edited by SGKent on Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:44 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: