Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 Link Pin shocks
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
narrowfarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:52 am    Post subject: 1966 Link Pin shocks Reply with quote

Hello I ordered shocks 9570 coil over shock for my Link pin front end and the appear about 2.5 inches to long. Eye to eye is about 17 inches while eye to eye on my regular shocks are 14.5 inch. 9570 Coil over shocks claim working length from 11 inches to 17 inches. They would have to be compressed about 2.5 inches to install, than I think my ride will be harsh.
Any ideas if these are the correct for the link pin car?
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 LINK PIN shocks Reply with quote

1966 is a ball joint front end as is most 1965s.....are you sure yours is a link pin/king pin front end?
narrowfarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 LINK PIN shocks Reply with quote

Yes I have a link pin setup on my 1966. How could I tell the age of the chassis?? My engine is a 1300cc. Maybe my chassis is older??
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 LINK PIN shocks Reply with quote

narrowfarm wrote:
Yes I have a link pin setup on my 1966. How could I tell the age of the chassis?? My engine is a 1300cc. Maybe my chassis is older??

something is wrong...wrecked front end, changed to earlier, doubt it. body changed at sometime to earlier pan, maybe. get the pan number under the rear seat and give it to me to check. also if you have access to a camera, take a couple of shots of the front end....link and king area. your engine 1300 is correct for a 1966. whatever was done, was by an owner....not VW
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 LINK PIN shocks Reply with quote

Gas charged shocks are firmer than oil filled.
Coil spring will be firmer.
Cheap empi chrome won't last 6 months.
What are you trying to accomplish?
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Link Pin shocks Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is this the same car the question was about? If so it looks like it’s king pin front suspension. I got the photo from your gallery
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raycer60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 LINK PIN shocks Reply with quote

wheel607 wrote:
1966 is a ball joint front end as is most 1965s.....are you sure yours is a link pin/king pin front end?

A few years back I also had a 1966 that came with LPK front end. After getting it home and having time to really look into it and questioning many other things, I sold it. That was my rookie mistake! Later I bought a 59 with matching numbers and is my current project.
Interested in finding out how yours has that front end.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: