Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

That looks AWESOME Jeffrey! What type of exhaust is that, Vintage Speed? What size 1 5/8" or 1 1/2" ? I like the high performance look underneath, yet stock looking pipes out the back. Great job.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

You’re going to have issues with those valve covers when you start driving the car. You don’t have enough clearance when the engine starts torquing upon acceleration.

The “2276” detracts from the look of the engine.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
OK so I've started stuffing the engine in:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK - so up until you posted ^^^that^^^ photo, I was thinking you'd painted you're engine tin orange.

Judging from that one new photo, though, it looks as though the lighting has been conspiring to trick my eyes and that engine is nothing but pure gold. Smile
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
That looks AWESOME Jeffrey! What type of exhaust is that, Vintage Speed? What size 1 5/8" or 1 1/2" ? I like the high performance look underneath, yet stock looking pipes out the back. Great job.
Jeff

It is Vintage Speed 1 5/8". I think they call it the 740 Merged Comp version. Because of the wonders of the information age, I can offer you this link: https://store.vintagespeed.com.tw/48MM-HEADER-150M...p132807809

I'm still anxious to get my bumpers back. It's been a long story but I sent them out over a year ago, they had a fire and had to relocate/rebuild, so now hopefully I'm only a couple of months away.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
You’re going to have issues with those valve covers when you start driving the car. You don’t have enough clearance when the engine starts torquing upon acceleration.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm definitely keeping an eye on the valve cover issue. I'm hoping the Kaefer Bar will help stabilize the way the engine wants to twist. It's definitely a bummer. Might require more work or different valve covers.

I went back and forth with the "2276".

I decided since it's kind of a cartoon car from the 90's I would keep that theme so I painted the tins and various engine parts to roughly match the scheme of the car. I've since realized I could have hydro dipped all the tins easily. Even with my own artwork! Maybe next time.

I know the 2276 is cheese ball but for now it's meant to be.
Besides, they were only $4.00 at the Everything's a Dollar Store in Panama City Beach.

Last edited by jeffrey8164 on Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:

OK - so up until you posted ^^^that^^^ photo, I was thinking you'd painted you're engine tin orange.

Judging from that one new photo, though, it looks as though the lighting has been conspiring to trick my eyes and that engine is nothing but pure gold. Smile

No. Not pure gold I'm afraid.
Copper.
However, Orange is an interesting (&&^%$%#@
What am I thinking?

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

Damnital! I know your right.
I'll have to pull the engine out and the seal and properly trim the lip and paint the bareness.
Then I can put it all back in again.
Ostensibly, when it's all done, I will have fun as well as peace of mind.
And it'll look better!

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

Ok so I fixed it.
Took a bunch of pictures and went to load them on my laptop to resize and post.
LAPTOP DEAD!!!
Hard drive not spinning.
Sh*$y day all around.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

Alright, so the engine is bac in and the carbs are on...again.

Then I had to craft a mounting solution for the Bluetooth PLX gauge stuff.

I'm going to wrap it with something soft and bury it in the fenderwell.

Once that is finalized, I'm ready to start it.

sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

The work looks nice and neat. I'm wondering why I don't see an external antenna. They must be inside the red modules.

Bluetooth is a radio signal with a link range typically less than 10 m (33 ft). so its weak. Are you sure that enough level will escape through the metal box?

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

Thanks.
If you look at the middle photo in the upper right between the black wires and the grey wire you can see the Bluetooth chip in a clear heat shrink.
I put a hole with a grommet in the end cap so it can stick out of the box.
It's Bluetooth 3.0 or so it says on the chip so I should have 100ft range and in theory should work from inside the box but I work with a lot of Bluetooth devices in my line of work and don't trust it so that's why I'm letting it dangle outside the box.
I guess dangle isn't quite the correct term as it will be secured with a dab of hot glue.

sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

Ah! I can see that in both photos. Cool. Maybe that PCB should get its own plastic box to protect it from the vapours and gasses in the engine. Its a harsh place for electronics. I'm keen to see how this goes.
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

I made all the connections, closed up the box, wrapped it in bubble wrap and stuffed it in the rear fender behind the battery.

Finalized the electrical, put in a new battery, checked the fuel lines one more time, pulled the spark plugs and filled it with oil.

Now it's resting until I get some gas.

I still need to take inventory of all my jets and order what I think I might need.

And I'm still waiting for my bumpers! Almost a year now, but they did have a fire.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

Here's something silly I threw together

Link

KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

It's puzzling to me why if you're such a fast worker, your whole refresh process has been taking so long?

Wink Fun video - Thanks for sharing.
(It almost makes me think that even I could do something like that someday. Shocked)
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

Yeah I was kinda pissed that he had so much time to do everything so quickly, and that he had someone shooting video at various angles. And the arrogance of laying in a music bed while tolling away so quickly is just inexcusable!!

I hate being jealous, especially regarding the space he has in his garage, unlike me that has to work around not touching any of my wife's plants, god forbid if any get damaged, which of course never happens....

Awesome Video Jeffrey.

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

Thanks guys.
It’s taking so long cause I’m “Lazy”

I’m still working up the courage to start it.
It’s either win or fail.

KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
Thanks guys.
It’s taking so long cause I’m “Lazy”

I’m still working up the courage to start it.
It’s either win or fail.

Either way will be fun for us to watch a video of.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
Thanks guys.
It’s taking so long cause I’m “Lazy”.
"Fireball" would have been better suited for the speed at which you moved Cool

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iboughtrustandbondo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

Agree with the 2276 emblem. Looks pretty though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 13

Jump to: