Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1991 Multivan TDI build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
macjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

wow. good catch on the mounting bar. good that you didn't put any miles on that without repair/replacement.
btw, I kept an eye out for your van earlier this summer when I brought my family to the island and stayed at the Menemsha Inn for a few days. Didn't see it, unfortunately, but I have no idea where on the island you are. . .
Bike as primary transportation
newt3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

didn't know if someone told you already those dics for the link on your pic are in the wrong position!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

if you drive them in wrong postion the link will break

here you see them correctly:

part no4
Scottgb2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

So I just bought my first Westy this past June and just wanted to let everyone in this discussion thread know how much I have learned from reading through all the build/modification projects. Needless to say my van learning curve is nearly vertical at the moment! Shocked

My 84 has a Boxeer TDI installed by the previous owner in Maine. The drive from Maine down to Northern Virginia went flawlessly. That diesel just purred along and climbed up and over every hill along the way. No problem doing 70 mph. Funny though, not really interested in driving fast in the Westy, happy to roll along back roads at 50 rather than interstates any day...

Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading more about all the projects and travels posted by ya' all and hopefully contributing some useful (and fun) information to the group in the months ahead.

Cheers!
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

macjack wrote:
wow. good catch on the mounting bar. good that you didn't put any miles on that without repair/replacement.
btw, I kept an eye out for your van earlier this summer when I brought my family to the island and stayed at the Menemsha Inn for a few days. Didn't see it, unfortunately, but I have no idea where on the island you are. . .

Oh dang, would have loved to bumped into a fellow samba member/Vanagon owner. We spend a lot of time in Menemsha, sometimes pulling full saturdays or Sunday’s parked at the beach. We must have been at Squibnocket. If you ever come back, send me a pm and I’d love to say high in person. Hope you had a great stay at the inn. We live up in Aquinnah, so up island is our stomping grounds.

Nick
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

newt3 wrote:
didn't know if someone told you already those dics for the link on your pic are in the wrong position!

if you drive them in wrong postion the link will break

here you see them correctly:

part no4

Thanks for pointing it out. Those were the original drop links if I remember correctly that have since been replaced with Burleys links that use a urethane lower bushing and different scenario. I certainly didn’t notice, so thanks a lot for the info. One would assume the cup would face down but looks like that isn’t the case.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Scottgb2 wrote:
So I just bought my first Westy this past June and just wanted to let everyone in this discussion thread know how much I have learned from reading through all the build/modification projects. Needless to say my van learning curve is nearly vertical at the moment! Shocked

My 84 has a Boxeer TDI installed by the previous owner in Maine. The drive from Maine down to Northern Virginia went flawlessly. That diesel just purred along and climbed up and over every hill along the way. No problem doing 70 mph. Funny though, not really interested in driving fast in the Westy, happy to roll along back roads at 50 rather than interstates any day...

Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading more about all the projects and travels posted by ya' all and hopefully contributing some useful (and fun) information to the group in the months ahead.

Cheers!

Welcome to the club! Great looking van and Ive heard those boxeer tdis are a blast. I’m glad your trip went well. I tend to agree with you on the not driving fast in a Westy though I’ll admit it’s irresistible sometimes.

This is a pretty amazing site with so much info from many people who know these vans inside and out (I am admittedly not one of those people.) I have learned a lot from this thread from the many positive contributions from others and especially the mechanical help from the people at Foreign Auto and Supply and some of my local mechanics. My contributions to my own van have been limited to “cake decorating” and a few mechanical forays (an emphasis on “few.”)

Thanks for following along and I wish you lots of fun and joy with your future van projects and travels!

Nick
macjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Multiman mv wrote:
macjack wrote:

Oh dang, would have loved to bumped into a fellow samba member/Vanagon owner. We spend a lot of time in Menemsha, sometimes pulling full saturdays or Sunday’s parked at the beach. We must have been at Squibnocket. If you ever come back, send me a pm and I’d love to say high in person. Hope you had a great stay at the inn. We live up in Aquinnah, so up island is our stomping grounds.

Nick

Thanks, Nick. I certainly will pm you next time. We went mid week, and our beach time was at Lucy Vincent. Glorious place you live in! Back in 1989 I stocked the dairy case at the Edgartown A&P and lived on Chappy. Good memories! Sounds like Squibnocket got hit badly a few years ago and was re-opened last year?
I enjoy reading your attentive care to your TDI vanagon, having been tweaking mine since I first had it converted to an ALH in 2005. You made a good choice! Would love to say hi and swap notes. . .
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I finally replaced the serpentine belt yesterday. I was looking for a 16mm bolt on the tensioner like earlier versions but the version i have has a square knob on the top of the tensioner that makes for easy release of the tension from above the pulley without having to remove anything in front to gain access. Pretty simple. I just used a socket and a 1/2” extension bit to gain enough leverage to loosen the tension. The proper size open ended wrench probably would have worked even better. As you can see, the belt was fairly compromised. It probably would have lasted a bit longer but, it wasn’t something i wanted to take my chances on.

We were supposed to go to Vermont last weekend for a few days but because of the incident, I ended up delaying the trip. I had the temporary engine mount in place but really didn’t want to travel far, all loaded down with gear with a welded engine mount and a chafed serpentine belt. The new mount arrived after our ferry reservation so we ended up bailing on the trip. We are going to reschedule for sometime in September or early October instead.

Notice the wear from the belt kissing the carrier bar beneath. With the new engine mount in place, there is at least an inch and a quarter space between the belt and the bar. When the mount cracked, the engine dropped significantly. I’m lucky it didn’t drop further. One can only imagine the damage that could have occurred. With the new mount in place, the engine is back in its original position with plenty of clearance.

Tensioner release

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

How did the trim shine work out on the pop top? Still holding up? I spilt some alcohol on my white pop top while removing tree sap from camping
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
How did the trim shine work out on the pop top? Still holding up? I spilt some alcohol on my white pop top while removing tree sap from camping

Ill tell you that it works really well for restoring the deep blue color that an orly blue pop top is painted, but it definitely doesn’t last too long. If we get a big rainstorm, the pop top will start to fade out but then i just spray it again with trim shine and it looks new again. The process of spraying it takes only about five minutes so its a quick, easy, but non permanent way to restore the paint. Ive often wondered if trim shine would do the same with a white top? I’m considering a windows out paint job in the future and ill tackle the top at that point as well. Overall my paint looks really good but i do have the very beginning stages of rust behind window seals and i dont want it to get any worse.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Have you tried Penetrol? I know that when boat gel coats get dull, this is a technique the yards use. A season is all you get, but with wax on top, a couple.

Wow--A glass out paint job. That is my ultimate dream, but........... The engine swap, a rebuilt tranny, wheels and tires and I'll have in these alone way more than twice what I paid for the girl. And first there are some rust issues that need to be dealt with in any case. DS wheel surround seam. I've had these in the past and can speak from experience that in mid New Hampshire as a daily driver, 4 years from now this seam will need serious removal and rewelding, so I want to get that first. The other spots on the metal are just dirt. Not rust. Paint fine there.
Then there are two bad windows. The DS rear fixed where I took a dental pick and removed most of the rust from under the rubber and then epoxied and Rustoleumed. Holding, but obviously the gasket is compromised and water is probably still accumulating there, but behind the rubber and isn't visible.
Not too worried as in the next 6 months this fixed window will become an electric up and down conversion from a spare PS front window and regulator I have.

This photo below is the real bad one. Rear hatch. Need to pull the glass, reweld the bad area and use new gasket material. NOW! How this all fits in with paint is unknown. Front under windshield glass tin is badly sandblasted from 28 years of road crud being thrown up from cars in front. .
Sigh--Your Pippin looks so crisp and perfect in your posted photos, but I'm sure you worry about a few spots here and there. The main thing is to keep using and enjoying them. Have fun on your September jaunt.

Duncan
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

So the van started acting up yesterday. A lack of power and if I accelerated quickly, I could hear a shrill whistling sound which almost sounded like a really loud turbo spooling up. I figure it was some sort of boost leak and went looking around the engine bay trying to find the culprit. I couldn’t find it on the first look. I ended up going back in for a second look and discovered that the hose clamp on the lower pipe coming off the intercooler had completely slipped off. Notice the spray pattern of oil residue coming from the lower hose location. It must have happened when the engine mount broke and the engine hinged downward on the passenger side. It must have loosened that connection and pulled at it. Finally it just slipped off due to the oil in the area. I retightened the fitting and the van is running as it should. Plenty of power, no noise and quick acceleration. I love an easy fix that even a guy that is mechanically challenged like myself can find and rectify.

macjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Great work diagnosing and fixing that hose! Your hypothesis about the broken mount leading to a loosened connection makes perfect sense. Glad it’s back to its turbo diesel glory.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

macjack wrote:
Great work diagnosing and fixing that hose! Your hypothesis about the broken mount leading to a loosened connection makes perfect sense. Glad it’s back to its turbo diesel glory.

Thanks. Thats really about the upper limit of my mechanical abilities (tightening a hose clamp!)

The engine dropped probably 2 inches now that I’ve had time to take a better look at things. The intercooler being firmly mounted on the back, passenger side of the engine compartment just couldn’t take the lowering of the engine and the hose pulled off of the lower intercooler tube. I went around the entire plumbing system and made sure all connections are tight.
ALstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Hello, I tried reading through your thread after the search function... How was the trans regeared? Are you running a 4.13 ring and pinion with stock gears? Or did you just regear 3 and 4 with a 4.57?
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

ALstew wrote:
Hello, I tried reading through your thread after the search function... How was the trans regeared? Are you running a 4.13 ring and pinion with stock gears? Or did you just regear 3 and 4 with a 4.57?

Sorry, I think I forgot to post this important info. I know very little about regearing a trans so I went with what FAS had recommended and what they did for most of their tdi’s. For the 4 speed manual trans rebuild/regear we went with a new ring and pinion (4.14) new 3rd and 4th (1.18 hd, .77 hd) and while they were in there I had them add a limited slip differential. I believe the .77 4th gear gave me a 9.4% rpm reduction and the bigger tires also added to the equation. My guess is another 9% reduction in rpms over stock. I’m sure someone can confirm or correct me on this but this is what I came up with for a calculation.

I’ve been super happy with how it has performed and it puts me right at around 3000 rpms at 65 mph. It is amazingly quiet and that is definitely something I appreciate. I’ve read many threads about trans rebuilds that are noisy from the get go. I believe that Fas has given me a really stout trans that seems to be going strong.

Last edited by Multiman mv on Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:45 am; edited 4 times in total
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

You have done some great upgrades which all of us have followed and I'm sure many are using your advice.
By any chance are you watching: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=722193 ?
I/we'd love to hear what your are doing about prevention and suppression. Not counting the obvious fuel lines and so on.
I'm concerned and need to add something besides the pitiful 2 3/4 pound Kidde.

Duncan
ALstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Multiman mv wrote:
ALstew wrote:

Sorry, I think I forgot to post this info. I know very little about regearing a trans so I went with what FAS had recommended and what they did for most of their tdi’s. For the 4 speed manual trans rebuild/regear we went with a new ring and pinion (4.14) new 3rd and 4th (1.18 hd, .77 hd) and while they were in there I had them add a limited slip differential.

I’ve been super happy with how it has performed and it puts me right at around 3000 rpms at 65 mph. It is amazingly quiet and that is definitely something I appreciate. I’ve read many threads about trans rebuilds that are noisy from the get go. I believe that Fas has given me a really stout trans that seems to be going strong.

Great Thank you!! This is what the trans shop recommended as well, they also said I could run larger tires and keep my 4.57 and HD gears... and I forgot to ask what size tire you are running?
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

ALstew wrote:
Multiman mv wrote:
ALstew wrote:

Sorry, I think I forgot to post this info. I know very little about regearing a trans so I went with what FAS had recommended and what they did for most of their tdi’s. For the 4 speed manual trans rebuild/regear we went with a new ring and pinion (4.14) new 3rd and 4th (1.18 hd, .77 hd) and while they were in there I had them add a limited slip differential.

Great Thank you!! This is what the trans shop recommended as well, they also said I could run larger tires and keep my 4.57 and HD gears... and I forgot to ask what size tire you are running?

So my tire size was also taken into consideration when figuring how to re-gear my trans. I am running 215/70-16s.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
You have done some great upgrades which all of us have followed and I'm sure many are using your advice.
By any chance are you watching: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=722193 ?
I/we'd love to hear what your are doing about prevention and suppression. Not counting the obvious fuel lines and so on.
I'm concerned and need to add something besides the pitiful 2 3/4 pound Kidde.

Duncan

Yes i have been following that thread and the video is horrifying. It’s amazing how quickly things went front what appeared to be “possibly containable” to totally out of control in a matter of seconds. An engine fire has been something that has scared me from day one. It was one of the issues that drove me to going with a tdi.

Before i committed to a tdi i purchased a blaze cut but never mounted it to the underside of my engine hatch. I held off on mounting it because i wanted to see about engine clearance on the tdi before mounting it. Today, i have the blaze cut in the cabinet along with two fire extinguishers on board, one in the rear cabinet and another under the rear facing jump seat. All of the vanagon fire videos and photos left a lasting impression on me, to the point where we never leave our kids strapped in the car seat unattended for more than a few seconds. I see parents do this a lot where they leave their kids strapped in their car seats and they enter a store for 10 or 15 minutes and it boggles my mind. Imagine if kids were in car seats in the vanagon fire video? I believe the fire started in the video just prior to the van being shutoff but didn’t become apparent until after many seconds had passed. Typically an owner would have walked away after the van was parked and might not have been nearby when the flames were visible. A scary video for sure.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 36 of 50

Jump to: