Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Instrument cluster dust cover / foil cover Part No. 251957085B
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:00 am    Post subject: Instrument cluster dust cover / foil cover Part No. 251957085B Reply with quote

No idea why I cannot seem to find information on this... I know how to use the search engine/feature. Seems like there are no photos or information. I need to replace two of these.

Maybe I'm not searching it by the correct name? I call this 'Instrument cluster dust cover' and it rests above the dashboard instruments under the plastic cover.

UPDATED TITLE OF THREAD to help others in their solo quest for militant adherence to stock Vanagon dedication...

Arrow Anyone know the part number and where to get new ones?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Wasted youth on Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:30 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument cluster dust cover - Help with info! Reply with quote

Part #251957085B

Names:
Mask film for instrument housing
Foil for instrument housing
Drip cover for instrument housing
Abdeckfolie Fuer Instrumentengehaeuse

It's NLA; thus, you may have to source a used one.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument cluster dust cover - Help with info! Reply with quote

Seems to me like it was there because many owners may spill some brake fluid when topping up -- nasty stuff to have splashed about. I still have mine but set it aside when working with brake fluid (so I can see the reservoir) and instead just be very careful and always 'Know where your towel is'.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument cluster dust cover - Help with info! Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
...Abdeckfolie Fuer Instrumentengehaeuse...

Really? Sometimes I just love the language of Goethe.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument cluster dust cover - Help with info! Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Part #251957085B

Names:
Mask film for instrument housing
Foil for instrument housing
Drip cover for instrument housing
Abdeckfolie Fuer Instrumentengehaeuse

It's NLA; thus, you may have to source a used one.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument cluster dust cover - Help with info! Reply with quote

Mine is long gone…any reason you couldn't roll your own with some cling film, if you are worried about sloshing brake fluid over your wiring?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument cluster dust cover - Help with info! Reply with quote

Whenever I plan to play with brake fluid, I wrap everything in a 50 cm radius in rags. I typically roll a rag around the brake reservoir, so any dripping will be caught and absorbed by the fabric.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument cluster dust cover / foil cover Reply with quote

I never considered it an apron for brake fluid games. Just figured it was a dust cover. As I searched it out with fresh information given by kamzcab86, I keep seeing it referenced as 'foil' and 'foil cover'

Here is the diagram... Item 8

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument cluster dust cover / foil cover Part No. 251957085B Reply with quote

Item 8 is the plastic guard which you show in your original photo. I've given you two sources for this item.

Craig
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument cluster dust cover / foil cover Part No. 251957085B Reply with quote

cmayna wrote:
Item 8 is the plastic guard which you show in your original photo. I've given you two sources for this item.

Yes! Thank you for your replies! Cool The point of adding this information is to help other people in the future in their quest. In this thread, I added the part number given by kamzcab86, which led me to the diagram... information that I did not have before and quickly clears up the search.

The Samba search engine is pretty good, so it seems logical to add useful information here.
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument cluster dust cover / foil cover Part No. 251957085B Reply with quote

Just a few days ago, I saw someone post these for sale in the Samba classified section. I believe they were listed as "plastic dust covers." If I find them, I'll come back with a link.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument cluster dust cover / foil cover Part No. 251957085B Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
Just a few days ago, I saw someone post these for sale in the Samba classified section. I believe they were listed as "plastic dust covers." If I find them, I'll come back with a link.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1998290 Smile
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument cluster dust cover / foil cover Part No. 251957085B Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a current source for this "foil", "dust cover" item?

Part no. 251957085B

There's one here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2221319

I was hoping to get one that's new or in better shape than the one in the ad.

None found at GoWesty, Van-Café, or VanAgain.

Bus Depot lists one as "special order" with no photo, so I'm less than confident they can actually supply it.

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument cluster dust cover / foil cover Part No. 251957085B Reply with quote

SyncroHead wrote:
...I was hoping to get one that's new or in better shape than the one in the ad...

That one doesn't appear to be torn, just dirty. I would think some Simple Green and a toothbrush (maybe your wife's) would do wonders with it.
Brower001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument cluster dust cover / foil cover Part No. 251957085B Reply with quote

Hi- I’m new to the forum; I’m looking for this dust cover too. I have a little machine shop where I make specialty stuff and I can see from videos and photos of this item that it would be fairly easy for me to reproduce with my vacuum former. Would anyone be willing to lend me theirs so I can make a master to pull the forms from? If they work out we could make lots of them.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument cluster dust cover / foil cover Part No. 251957085B Reply with quote

Brower001 wrote:
Hi- I’m new to the forum; I’m looking for this dust cover too. I have a little machine shop where I make specialty stuff and I can see from videos and photos of this item that it would be fairly easy for me to reproduce with my vacuum former. Would anyone be willing to lend me theirs so I can make a master to pull the forms from? If they work out we could make lots of them.
If you have no takers, try getting one from a Salvage yard Vanagon, then it's yours to play around with. Getting reproduction versions new would be sweet... Cool Cool Cool
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Brower001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument cluster dust cover / foil cover Part No. 251957085B Reply with quote

yes- I live in a dense city, so all the salvage yards are on my computer! But yeah, in theory even a damaged one could work for me since I'll be making a new tool from it; I can patch it up as long as its geometry is intact. I'll put whatever results I come up with here.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: