Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best battery tray sheet metal?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lojoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Best battery tray sheet metal? Reply with quote

I'm going to have to cut out the battery tray area and weld in a new one.

I'm looking at this one from WCM. https://www.westcoastmetric.com/i-22963995-111-065.html

Any favorites for places to get the most accurate metal?

I have a '63, by the way.
lojoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Best battery tray sheet metal? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Most of the rust is fairly superficial except right around the hole. Still in process of cleaning up. Vertical metal is solid. I would really like to keep my battery strap hook and heater outlet!
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Best battery tray sheet metal? Reply with quote

I had a similar situation in a Ghia, but didn't have access to a welder. I cleaned the area thoroughly using POR-15 chemicals. Then I made an aluminum plate that fit over the hole and covered the entire area under the battery. Applied duct tape or aluminum tape to the underside of the original panel to seal it up.
Poured POR-15 over the original pan, laid the patch in place, then poured on some more POR-15. The next day, I gave it another POR-15 bath. Maybe a third coat, I can't recall.
Yes, it might be considered a "Hack Job", but hey-------it worked and 19 years later it has not failed and is undetectable even out in the open in the engine bay of the Ghia.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Best battery tray sheet metal? Reply with quote

lojoma wrote:

Not the steel real estate sign I used on my own 1970 back in 1988, after the real estate guy screwed me over about $500 worth on day of closing....it's still there...
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Best battery tray sheet metal? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
lojoma wrote:

Not the steel real estate sign I used on my own 1970 back in 1988, after the real estate guy screwed me over about $500 worth on day of closing....it's still there...

You win. Your hack job trumps my hack job. Laughing
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Best battery tray sheet metal? Reply with quote

WW sells one that is almost thicker than OG steel. maybe 18g or prob 20g but with the primer already on it, mine felt thicker.

I installed the rear battery section a while back when I rebuilt my chassis. Turned out great.

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/body_s...cfm?type=1
lojoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Best battery tray sheet metal? Reply with quote

Went ahead and used POR-15 on the section that is good.
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Best battery tray sheet metal? Reply with quote

If you are 'welder-challenged' ....make an 'overlay' patch out of some good sheet metal (old washer / dryer side panels work great) ....POR15 the area (underneath as well) ...pre-drill pop-rivet holes (every inch or so) with the panel held in place ...slather the patch area with PL construction adhesive (99 percent as good as the expensive panel-bonding adhesive that body shops use) ...pop rivet (use steel rivets) the panel in place ...fill the underside area with seam sealer ...do the same with the top to camoflage the patch ...paint. Not quite as redneck as an old street sign, or a license plate ...but a good secure patch, none the less. To prevent future damage, use a Red or Yellowtop battery, or put a thick plastic tray under your regular battery. You should be able to find an appropriately-sized Tupperware type container, and cut the sides down to about 1 inch high. Again, not a show-car solution, but a very workable one.
lojoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Best battery tray sheet metal? Reply with quote

I ordered the quarter section from Wolfsburg west. It SEEMED to be the most accurate in shape just looking at photos from other vendors.
lojoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Best battery tray sheet metal? Reply with quote

While I wait I thought I should check under the front, too. Little rust around the edges mostly. Will hit that next.
lojoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Best battery tray sheet metal? Reply with quote

I have not been able to work on her for a while, but I did get the battery tray from WW and I'm working on installing it. Here's about halfway done on the welding in the pic. I won't win any awards for my technique but I think it's solid at least. I have a lot of grinding to get them flattened out but, progress.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Best battery tray sheet metal? Reply with quote

I recommend a water proof seam sealer around the joint both top and bottom, a urethane seam sealer is good. This will prevent water ingress, and prevent rust from that. For future reference, a weld thru rust proof primer is desirable to protect inside the lap joint.

Bug On! With a Nice Pan!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
lojoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Best battery tray sheet metal? Reply with quote

This is a butt joint, not a lap joint, unless I'm missing what you mean. My understanding was to have the metal as clean as possible before welding.

Thanks!
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Best battery tray sheet metal? Reply with quote

When you are done, POR-15 or something similar and then a couple layers of something like Peel and Seal to protect it from future damage.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Best battery tray sheet metal? Reply with quote

lojoma wrote:
This is a butt joint, not a lap joint, unless I'm missing what you mean. My understanding was to have the metal as clean as possible before welding.

Thanks!

oh, my eyes is bad, thought it was a lap joint.

The weld thru primer is a paint, a rust resisting paint with high zinc content for galvanic protection. It can be welded over. it is very useful for areas that are lapped, or inaccessible after welding. It welds nicely.

A seam sealer is good to use here on both sides, as it seals seams, since it is flexible, it wont crack. Paint is not a substitute for seam sealer as paint is much more susceptible to cracking in this situation, and wont fill gaps well, if it does fill them it may later crack and open up the metal to rusting.

Good to see a weld job here rather than a short cut!

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
lojoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Best battery tray sheet metal? Reply with quote

Is there a specific seam sealer recommended? Thanks.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Best battery tray sheet metal? Reply with quote

We usually use 3m, but have had good results with some other brands..Just don't recall what they are.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Best battery tray sheet metal? Reply with quote

3M is a good product. SEM does too. You want a Urethane sealer, Not all aurobody sealers are waterproof. Some are cheaper, full of fillers such as clay that absorb water. They may be sold as suitable for trunks and interior, places that dont get wet. Do NOT use these. even inside where you dont expect water, they are simply a cheap product, your Bug deserves the best, get a Urethane, a water proof urethane. I usually put this over paint for double protection, then paint over the sealer for good looks.

I am not a fan or POR 15 cause top coats have issues with sticking to it, I dont know how sealers stick to POR 15, you may need to sand or use the tie coat they seal under the sealer, suggest you contact POR15 for advice on that.

Water proof Uerthanes can be had at auto body supply stores, or you may try urethane sealers sold at hardware stores, so long as water proof and paintable. dont use acrylic nor silicone sealers here

for tight seams a brushable sealer can be used, for bigger gaps the caulking gun type can be used.

Bug On!

riverart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Best battery tray sheet metal? Reply with quote

We just did this job last week. Your welds look better than mine - eesh! We used some sealer (Dynaflex)from Lowes and a caulking gun. It dried well and then I used Rustoleum rust treatment paint over that and finally used Frost King to help with the road noise.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Best battery tray sheet metal? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
am not a fan or POR 15 cause top coats have issues with sticking to it, I dont know how sealers stick to POR 15, you may need to sand or use the tie coat they seal under the sealer, suggest you contact POR15 for advice on that.
Bug On!

I seam sealed over the top of POR15 previously with Polyurethane seam sealer and it hasn't moved.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: