Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beetle Convertible Doors ID Help
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Beetle Convertible Doors ID Help Reply with quote

I bought these doors in a parts lot, from a 70's Bug. Question is... I am not sure if they are from a regular beetle... or super. Is the super and regular beetle doors interchangeable? If not... what is the difference and how can I tell?

36" Wide. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible Doors ID Help Reply with quote

Doors are the same.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible Doors ID Help Reply with quote

judging by vent window pivots these doors are 72 or earlier.. bug or flat sheild super....they should also have the bracket that the strap behind the arm rest slides onto...there is a point in time where the location of the chrome strip moved higher on the door but i dont remember exactly when that was maybe soeone else can chime in...curved shield supers used a different vent window assembly
Murmsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible Doors ID Help Reply with quote

They look the same as the doors on my 70 vert. I’ll send some pictures tonight.

S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Murmsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible Doors ID Help Reply with quote

Doors are 27.5x37

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Murmsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible Doors ID Help Reply with quote

Measured again. 37in from just under the top hinge to under the handle

S
Nessy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible Doors ID Help Reply with quote

volksworld wrote:
judging by vent window pivots these doors are 72 or earlier.. bug or flat sheild super...

I do not believe that those doors are correct for a 1971 or 1972 model (i.e flat screen super ) Karmann Beetle because of the locking knob arrangement .
The locking knob on the pictured (red) doors is a black plastic item on the top edge of the door .
The locking mechanism on my 1972 1302LS cabrio is a small chrome lever right next to the internal door release lever.
My doors have the bump in the door pressing to accommodate the up-down locking knob arrangement but no hole.
So I’d say those doors are 68-70 model year doors .
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible Doors ID Help Reply with quote

Nessy wrote:
The locking knob on the pictured (red) doors is a black plastic item on the top edge of the door.

The locking mechanism on my 1972 1302LS cabrio is a small chrome lever right next to the internal door release lever.

My 1971 Super Convertible also has the small chrome lever right next to the internal door release lever.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
74Shovel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible Doors ID Help Reply with quote

I have a ‘78 convertible, and I just took my phone out to compare the photos to my doors. The most obvious difference I see is the top of the vent window frame is longer on your doors than mine by at least an inch.

It would be nice to see a shot of the hinge edge of the door to see if there are any differences there.

I really love posts like this because it helps educate people about the subtle differences between the cars through the years. I’m always surfing Craigslist looking for good OEM parts to stock pile in anticipation of the dark day when my bug is damaged in a traffic accident. While I still don’t know what year doors will fit my bug, I now know there are differences I should look for before I do buy.

'78 Super Convertible
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible Doors ID Help Reply with quote

Your pics look like my ‘70. My 1970 does not have the small chrome lever. I think they only used that for a few years. My 1974 did not have it either.

If I am understanding this parts list correctly, convertible doors were interchangeable 1968 - 1970. Window winder handles differed but looks like the doors were the same.

http://oacdp.org/type1part/8085.png
Murmsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible Doors ID Help Reply with quote

My 70 doors are an inch wider that the ops doors. Maybe we measured at a diff place.
Also I think the op wanted to know if there are differences between std beetle door and super beetle doors.
S
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible Doors ID Help Reply with quote

The super beetle was introduced in the 1971 model year. You could still get a standard beetle but all convertibles from ‘71 on were supers. Based on the link to the parts list above, those doors would not be interchangeable with the super beetle. Again, this is assuming they are the 68-70 doors.
Nessy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible Doors ID Help Reply with quote

wayne1230cars wrote:
Your pics look like my ‘70. My 1970 does not have the small chrome lever. I think they only used that for a few years. My 1974 did not have it either.

Cusser wrote:

My 1971 Super Convertible also has the small chrome lever right next to the internal door release lever.

From talking to other Beetle cabrio owners, this strange locking arrangement was short -lived and appears to have lasted from the 1971 model (i.e flat screen super) until sometime in 1973, i.e the first of the curved screen supers.
Of course I stand to be corrected on this!
I have no idea why VW made this change and then went back to the earlier up-down locking knob arrangement?
I do remember when I restored my car 15 years ago noticing that this chrome door release lever / locking lever had a Type 4 part number so assumed VW had raided their parts bins when designing this change to the Beetle?
I also have to say that I rather prefer this odd locking mechanism from a security point of view , if you’re not familiar with the small locking lever it is not easy to see how to unlock the door from the outside when the roof is down!
It’s my belief that any convertible door 68-79 is interchangeable , although it may not be correct in the minor details like quarter light design and the locking arrangement etc.
daveswoodcraft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible Doors ID Help Reply with quote

These look identical to the doors on my 70 bug convertible

volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible Doors ID Help Reply with quote

yup you guys are right about the different locking mechanism....but for someone who doesnt care about the car remaining 100% original those doors will bolt on and work....i'm also pretty certain the late curved sheild super vent assemblies will bolt into those doors but i'm not prepared to swear to it
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: