Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Found a Zenith Blue EMPI GTV 1967 today
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lmrguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Found a Zenith Blue EMPI GTV 1967 today Reply with quote

No issues no rust, California car. looks like it will be my Daily Driver once the heat goes away. My first post here
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a Zenith Blue EMPI GTV 1967 today Reply with quote

Interesting car. Is that vinal on a hardtop?
lmrguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a Zenith Blue EMPI GTV 1967 today Reply with quote

Yes the original owner put vinal on it, however it was very well done. The pin striping isn't done by EMPI either. I should mention it was 130 degrees inside the bug when I drove it home. I'm waiting for more moderate weather to get out and drive it
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a Zenith Blue EMPI GTV 1967 today Reply with quote

Other than the badge, what vintage EMPI parts are on it?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lmrguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a Zenith Blue EMPI GTV 1967 today Reply with quote

The EMPI parts are all the chrome inside and around the car, wood steering wheel and dash knobs, shifter, lighter, rear speakers, factory seat belts which have an unusual latching system, engine parts are unknown yet I'm probably missing something, however I just picked it up.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a Zenith Blue EMPI GTV 1967 today Reply with quote

lmrguy wrote:
Yes the original owner put vinal on it... I should mention it was 130 degrees inside the bug when I drove it home.

Nice looking car...good score!

Just want to mention that vinyl roofs can trap moisture and cause the metal underneath to rust (maybe not a big worry if you're in SoCal). And as you've already found out, they can also make the interior unbearably hot when the car sits out in the sun.

Best of luck with your new ride Cool
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Found a Zenith Blue EMPI GTV 1967 today Reply with quote

Not seeing much my regular ‘67 deluxe vert doesn’t have and mines not a GTV. A GTV would’ve had an EMPI GT steering wheel and that looks like a Speedwell wheel. Obviously can’t tell without seeing the rest of it but do you have documentation that it’s a GTV?

For what it’s worth, mine had all the chrome you see on your exterior, an Empi coach steering wheel, optional lighter, etc. but it was all stuff added at the dealer. Very common back in the day.

I’m guessing the seat belts you’re talking about are the ‘67 only lobster claw seat belts. They’re made by Klippan and several Marques uses them including Alfa and BMW. They’re referred to as spaghetti belts in the BMW world.
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Found a Zenith Blue EMPI GTV 1967 today Reply with quote

Btw, we want to see the interior!!!
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

Not seeing much my regular ‘67 deluxe vert doesn’t have and mines not a GTV. A GTV would’ve had an EMPI GT steering wheel and that looks like a Speedwell wheel. Obviously can’t tell without seeing the rest of it but do you have documentation that it’s a GTV?

For what it’s worth, mine had all the chrome you see on your exterior, an Empi coach steering wheel, optional lighter, etc. but it was all stuff added at the dealer. Very common back in the day.

I’m guessing the seat belts you’re talking about are the ‘67 only lobster claw seat belts. They’re made by Klippan and several Marques uses them including Alfa and BMW. They’re referred to as spaghetti belts in the BMW world.
lmrguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Found a Zenith Blue EMPI GTV 1967 today Reply with quote

Jos.Hall wrote:

Interesting comment on my car. It's probably just a lot of aftermarket parts added to my 67 at the dealer, the EMPI badges are likely put on later. It had me going for a while.
Saw that you were very near me, do vintage VW owners ever have a meet in the Temecula area? It would be fun to see other bugs and the owners.
Never seen anything like the lobster claw belts, they do have the VW logo stamped on them and they work well.
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Found a Zenith Blue EMPI GTV 1967 today Reply with quote

Im by no means a GTV expert, but I question the authenticity of the above car.

For reference, another 67..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Found a Zenith Blue EMPI GTV 1967 today Reply with quote

lmrguy wrote:

Interesting comment on my car. It's probably just a lot of aftermarket parts added to my 67 at the dealer, the EMPI badges are likely put on later. It had me going for a while.
Saw that you were very near me, do vintage VW owners ever have a meet in the Temecula area? It would be fun to see other bugs and the owners.
Never seen anything like the lobster claw belts, they do have the VW logo stamped on them and they work well.

It’s still a cool car and definitely the best year. There’s a group called Herrcooled inland empire that meets every other Friday night at yellow basket on Winchester. Possibly tonight. I haven’t been in a long time but there’s some cool cars there and nice folks. Probably 20 or so cars at least. There are a lot of shows in this area and I hit most of the swap meets.

If you need help or just want to let someone gawk at your ride Smile let me know. I don’t know everything but I know my parts and it looks like yours could have some cool stuff on it.

Jos
lmrguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Found a Zenith Blue EMPI GTV 1967 today Reply with quote

Great news Jos Thanks for the heads up on the local club. I'm going to check it out. Maybe tonight at Yellow Basket if it's happening.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a Zenith Blue EMPI GTV 1967 today Reply with quote

Does anyone know for sure if the Meetup is for sure? If someone does and can confirm the time, I might be able to make it as well.
lmrguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a Zenith Blue EMPI GTV 1967 today Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Does anyone know for sure if the Meetup is for sure? If someone does and can confirm the time, I might be able to make it as well.

It's the classic car weekend in Temecula, I checked and the meet up is at the car show in old town. Gonna be a lot of people there, I think it's an annual event.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a Zenith Blue EMPI GTV 1967 today Reply with quote

lmrguy wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

It's the classic car weekend in Temecula, I checked and the meet up is at the car show in old town. Gonna be a lot of people there, I think it's an annual event.

Crap. I should have checked the interwebs. I didn't see this until now, I took my kids swimming. I'll have to try to hit up the next one.

Sorry, didn't mean to detail your thread.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a Zenith Blue EMPI GTV 1967 today Reply with quote

Somewhere, and I thought it was on this site, there are shots of vinyl top options for beetles. Yes, it was a legit fad and very timely for the age of this car. I don't recall an Empi catalog showing them..?

But I've been to a show recently and a neat old VW mechanics shop today- I'm blurring all of my "okay, remember, he's got this..." Smile

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Found a Zenith Blue EMPI GTV 1967 today Reply with quote

stale air wrote:
Im by no means a GTV expert, but I question the authenticity of the above car.

I'm guessing if it were an original GTV that emblem on the driver's side wouldn't be so crooked.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
TyeDyeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Found a Zenith Blue EMPI GTV 1967 today Reply with quote

Anybody claiming Empi GTV needs paperwork, parts thrown on a bug mean nothing
irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a Zenith Blue EMPI GTV 1967 today Reply with quote

Spectacular car, lots of very cool vintage stuff, great find and purchase, congrats.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: