Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

Well, the seats will help keep the motivation going. Very Happy Sometimes life has a way of interrupting things too. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

Garage is finally back to being somewhat clean with most of the integra gone and the remains stuffed into storage for now. I'm currently working on getting the brakes on the 68 Beetle tuned up so we can drive it for the rest of summer/Fall before doing an overhaul of old maintenance items. Due to the goofy way they attached the remote brake fluid reservoir, there's about 20 leak points from the master cylinder and reservoir. so far all soft lines have been replaced and both front wheel cylinders but the elbow grommet at the master cylinder is now leaking so a new master cylinder is on it's way. This winter i will be converting to a standard reservoir mounted directly to the master cylinder and deal with the slightly less convenient brake bleeding.

That then opens up the door to start working on the fastback again. I cleaned all the dust of the fastback and all the crap i had piled around it so i can continue trimming and spot welding the factory sheet metal back in. Pictures are where things are at now, I recently picked up a very nice set of white seats for the back seat which means I technically have everything i need to get the car running with an air cooled engine. Still shooting for running and driving in this coming spring with body work and such after that.

Also made a trade with a local type 3 buddy to get a complete type3 pan (fire damage) to see if that pan is good as is or would at the minimum be usable for parts. Picking that up on Sunday.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

Absoluteyeti wrote:
Garage is finally back to being somewhat clean with most of the integra gone and the remains stuffed into storage for now. I'm currently working on getting the brakes on the 68 Beetle tuned up so we can drive it for the rest of summer/Fall before doing an overhaul of old maintenance items. Due to the goofy way they attached the remote brake fluid reservoir, there's about 20 leak points from the master cylinder and reservoir. so far all soft lines have been replaced and both front wheel cylinders but the elbow grommet at the master cylinder is now leaking so a new master cylinder is on it's way. This winter i will be converting to a standard reservoir mounted directly to the master cylinder and deal with the slightly less convenient brake bleeding.

That then opens up the door to start working on the fastback again. I cleaned all the dust of the fastback and all the crap i had piled around it so i can continue trimming and spot welding the factory sheet metal back in. Pictures are where things are at now, I recently picked up a very nice set of white seats for the back seat which means I technically have everything i need to get the car running with an air cooled engine. Still shooting for running and driving in this coming spring with body work and such after that.

Also made a trade with a local type 3 buddy to get a complete type3 pan (fire damage) to see if that pan is good as is or would at the minimum be usable for parts. Picking that up on Sunday.

I wish I could get my garage that organized. It would be nice, but I've got so much junk in there scattered about. I also know that if I clean out a bay, my son will be wanting to put his Honda Civic there, and I won't be able to get anything done. He's been slowly working on fixing rust on the rear quarters of it, but also went to Vegas last week for his and wife's vacation. I probably wouldn't mind so much, if he came by regularly to work on it, but he's so hit and miss that I'm amazed anything is getting done on it. Crying or Very sad He's also got his topless type 3 in my tent (portable garage) that he's been working on (rusty front fenders, and building a CF roof).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

Floor pan is getting delivered later this week. pan was solid except it was missing the lower front horns for a Type 1 front beam conversion (something I think i'll entertain for this pan since i already have a spare beam) I also found a set of passible early rear fenders that i started to clean up from prior fire damage. one of the fenders had a fabled dealership vent flip on it. once they're cleaned up i'll rust convert prime them and throw a layer of paint to protect the body for now. Chassis swap will come in about 2 weeks and finally get this thing on 4 wheels.

Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

New pan arrived yesterday around noon, Left it in the sun until i was done for work and was happily surprised that most of the gooey Dynamat was able to be slowly scrapped and peeled off to reveal near perfect floor pans. Going to work on this so more on Wednesday if it's not raining and prep it for Soda blasting and paint.

I've also started thinking about the subaru engine swap some more as the chassis gets closer to being ready for media blasting and rust repair. I think if clearance allows I will try to fit A/C and heat into the car but want to be cognitive of where i run the lines so they aren't damaged from everyday driving or miles long to maintain a stock look. The option I've found so far are sold as "hot rod mini kits" and can be tucked away behind the dash of larger cars and possibly with some careful fabrication the front trunk of the fastback. Just thinking out loud for now.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

I'd look at what's missing of the lower beam mount tabs, and see about adding them. The type 3 beam rides so much better than a type 1 beam in these cars, plus it's easily adjustable.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

Ended up trading some parts with the guy that gave me the Pan the other day to get the custom Type 1 conversion narrowed beam with Type 3 spindles that goes with the pan. Originally I had thought the framehead had just the lower tabs cut off but realized after cleaning a bunch of rust and melted seals and sound deadner the frame head had also been narrowed. However it really did clean up nicely.

oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

Very cool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

Not much of an update but I ended up submitting a paypal dispute against subiesquared (aka littlebuggie here) due to non-communication/non-delivery of the engine hanger i bought from him. Based on the dimensions I've already drawn up in CAD, I'm having the engine hanger locally made once I get my money back. Disappointing to say the least.

Otherwise, I've been working on shaving the trim holes on the front fenders that a previous owner booger welded shut. If I decide to go with trim again some day i'll buy new fenders. Also been working on scrapping and sanding the temporary pan to prep for paint and prepping the rear trunk area for the repaired floor that was cut out. Pictures later as i have time away from work.
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

Looks like the next time I should have time to work on the fastback isn't until the week of Christmas and the new year due to a crappy work schedule eating up 11-12 hours of my day throughout the week. Temperatures dropped into the 20's this week as well so i'm on the hunt for a nature gas garage heater to tap into my house natural gas and build a false wall around the garage door to fully seal the garage from the outside world until spring.

I'll take some pictures of the construction once I decide if the Beetle is staying in my garage or going into storage all winter.
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

well i'm due for an quick update, after dealing with the guys that never shipped the engine hanger for the engine swap I took a break from sourcing parts and worked on minor bodywork (pounding out some small dents and straightening a twisted door)

Over the weekend the local pick your own parts yard had a special 30% off everything so my wife and I spent a few hours collecting a EJ22 engine from a impreza they had.

Also picked up a SCT contour sander to see if that makes stripping the chassis down a bit easier now that Aircraft paint stripper isn't available locally anymore. Scaled out the timeline for getting it running so I can take care of a few house projects and taking the beetle on a few weekend trips.
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

Well I figured I'd update my thread en lieu of being stuck at home for about 4 days now. Not a ton of work has been going on with the fastback because I'm out of welding supplies and the stores are all closed until further notice. I did start working on degreasing the engine to see what extent of a rebuild is immediately needed to test fire it. I believe I should be able to (with verification of a bore scope) put it back together lightly and start it up once i source the proper ECU for it.

Body wise I ended up trimming too much off the body side for the center tunnel support piece and need to fabricate some additional supports to keep everything ridged and nice looking. I also have some sheet metal i'm picking up this weekend for around the engine cover in the trunk where someone cut out all the metal and put some kind of x brace in.

Otherwise I've been working more on the Beetle to get it ready for car show season which looks like might not happen this year. New body seals, fixing poor wiring for the radio and horn button and going to lower it a little bit front and back.

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

You didn't take the wiring harness & proper ICU from the Impreza!

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

ECU was already gone and the wiring harness was destroyed beyond the engine. I still have the engine harness but I'll probably either source a universal harness for the body and then create a custom or trimmed down harness for the engine to body harness.

I've had to do this a few times with other projects like my RX-7 to Lexus 2JZ swap I did years back.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

Nice to see you making some progress, even if it's limited. Wink
Your underhood Bug shot reminded me of my old 76 Bug. Laughing
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

Spent a little time cutting up the remaining patch panels from a burnt out Squareback I've nicknamed "Christine the Squareback". I believe now i have 100% of the patch panels i need to finish the body!

Squareback donor pan

What i had left of my rear trunk pan
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

Waiting on my spot weld drill bits and reproduction dash from Retrovan to arrive by snailmail and I should be able to start making leaps and bounds. Being confined to the house I'm working towards installing 220v in the garage to borrow my dad's welding equipment and getting everything Tacked and ready to be media blasted. With literally everything cancelled except work this summer, I Should be able to get the body work close enough to primer and paint this year. There's now a bit of a deadline on some of the work with something else more important in the works now.

I'll get some more pictures of things if interest is there.
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

I'll post some pictures later when i find a computer.

Updates on the 71 fastback:
- diy soda blasted the shell and did an okay job. It cleaned off the black primer, interior glue and dirt.
- found a nice set of finished porsche D90 wheels
- started tearing down and templating the seat upholstery

Updates on the 68 beetle
- new tires, body seals, master cylinder and gutted the after market radio

Updates on the new 1970 fastback (automatic, FI converted to carb)
- bought a runner from a buddy with a nicer New Mexican body to reshell the OutlaVw project. Thought is the 71 will get a RLR tube chassis kit now with and engine around 300 hp and the 70 will get a new interior and the subaru swap eventually.
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

Finally got photos to upload successfully

Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

Small update, we just welcomed our new son into the world about a month ago so i've been off work. I recieved a free donor 99 impreza to use as a base for the 71 fastback which has started getting a tube chassis for awd and better suspension options. 70 fastback is getting a new interior and limebug's revolution air ride when i get around to it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: