Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 Westfalia: how to remove sink cabinet
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bokuglen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: 1974 Westfalia: how to remove sink cabinet Reply with quote

I need to remove the sink cabinet from my 1974 VW Westfalia bus. How do i remove the sink cabinet? I can see bolts holding it in place (behind the driver's seat , etc. ) but I don't see how to work around the plumbing. Does it disconnect from the cabinet somehow? I did some searching and could not find sink removal instructions for my year.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Daisy71Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia: how to remove sink cabinet Reply with quote

I did it on my 71 and it was pretty easy. I replaced the flooring and needed it out of the way. It took 15 minutes and other than disconnecting a few fasteners and lines nothing was an issue. It weights a lot for it's size so 2 people helped make it easy. Put a queen bed in so it's in storage. Really opened up the space.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia: how to remove sink cabinet Reply with quote

The 74 sink is attached to the bulkhead and the floor in a few places (L brackets), maybe the upper wall too (can't recall), the plumbing stays in the cabinet, you have to tilt it away from the wall to clear the vent tube and then lift straight up to get the drains out of the floor (remove screwed on seal plate underneath first). Before you start make sure you have blankets on the floor in the bus and a soft place to put it once it's out, the lower edges of the laminate are super brittle and crack easily if you put it down on something mean and slide it sideways.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
bokuglen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia: how to remove sink cabinet Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, guys !
Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia: how to remove sink cabinet Reply with quote

I'll drop this question here since it is somewhat relevant--I have removed my sink and ice box cab's from my '74 since they are largely useless to me. bokuglen, will you be putting yours back in? If not, what are your intentions for the space(s)? I will likely just replace with stained paneling, although I'd like to go with a jump seat behind the driver's seat at some point and a more streamline and "thinner" cab behind the passenger seat.
'85 Vanagon Westy - George In the Stable 2020-?/'74 Weekender - Ophelia In the Stable 2007- ?/'69 Beetle Convertible - SOLD 2017-2020/'67 Beetle - September SOLD 2013-2016 Sad /'67 SO42 Westy - Sage SOLD 1996-2001 Sad Sad/'69 Transporter - Baby Blue SOLD 1995-1995/'72 Westy - Nelly - SOLD 1990-1995--STOP FRACKING
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: