Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What should I do?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should I do?
1. Sell as-is
60%
 60%  [ 6 ]
2. Used Motor and sell for $11,000
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
3. New Motor and sell for $15,000
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Something entirely different
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 10

astock86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: What should I do? Reply with quote

I have a question for the forum. I need some guidance on what I should do.
I've got a 1983.5 Westy. It was for sale recently - although I just deactivated the listing. You'll see why.

It's in great shape. Super clean. All the camping stuff works. Odometer reads 103k, which is probably not true. Custom exhaust and rad custom wraparound bumper. Brand spanking new full transmission rebuild. I digress.

Recently on a trip, I started losing power. Just no guts when I tried to accelerate. I took to a shop in SLC, UT, and they told me that the compression in one or two of the cylinders is out of whack. They were unable to determine if they could fix the problem with motor in the car, or would need to remove it.

I would still like to sell this vehicle, but clearly, I have a major mechanical issue in the motor. They gave me 3 options:

1. Sell as-is and expect to get $6,000 - $7,000
2. Replace the motor with a used motor - cost = $3,500 sell price = $11,000
3. Replace the motor with a new motor + warranty - cost = $5,500 sell price = $15,000

I just want to see if this is inline or if these numbers are crazy. I'm open to other options. If you were me, what would you do?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: What should I do? Reply with quote

Whenever you get tired of a vehicle or project, it's time to wash your hands of it. It's not worth the emotional stress worrying about it over 5k.

Unless you are hard pressed for cash. Then do the engine swap yourself.
silversync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: What should I do? Reply with quote

Mine once had similar symptoms, low compression. Turned out to be a burnt exhaust valve. Do you know if the engine perhaps went through some overheating? Perhaps do a leakdown test and that might reveal some more info. I think a new head and installation should be possible for under $1,000.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: What should I do? Reply with quote

Was the shop unable to get consistent compression readings to determine if one or both cylinders are leaking? What were the readings? Is the leak(s) happening at one head or both heads? Was power loss sudden or were their other symptoms prior?

I'm no expert re: WBX engine mechanical issues. Just trying to narrow down if the engine indeed has a major issue. e.g. if compression test readings are intermittent, could there be a lifter and/or valve train issue?

IMO, the body would have to be in good shape rust wise to see $6-7K as is.

[edit if engine truly needs replacing or rebuild] If it were me, I'd find an engine that can be seen still running, check compression and oil pressure if convenient, look for obvious signs of issues, then if ok, put that in and sell the van. Try to find something original (nearly impossible I think) or one thats been rebuilt properly with paperwork to support that. Whatever it is, make sure exhaust is good. Make it more of a "bolt up" affair.

For me, to list van at a relatively high ask price with "new motor + warranty" which would likely mean an AVP rebuild or similar, should the engine fail too soon, does that come back on me? Or, is the engine warranty transferable?

Neil.

astock86 wrote:

Recently on a trip, I started losing power. Just no guts when I tried to accelerate. I took to a shop in SLC, UT, and they told me that the compression in one or two of the cylinders is out of whack. They were unable to determine if they could fix the problem with motor in the car, or would need to remove it.

I would still like to sell this vehicle, but clearly, I have a major mechanical issue in the motor. They gave me 3 options:

1. Sell as-is and expect to get $6,000 - $7,000
2. Replace the motor with a used motor - cost = $3,500 sell price = $11,000
3. Replace the motor with a new motor + warranty - cost = $5,500 sell price = $15,000

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
astock86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: What should I do? Reply with quote

This is good feedback. Thank you. The body is in great shape with very little rust. So I've got that going for me.

The power loss was somewhat sudden. I could hear a change in the motor as I was driving.

I'll follow up with the shop on compression readings.

Thanks!
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: What should I do? Reply with quote

repair it if you want to keep it...

otherwise sell it as is so the would be buyer will have more options for engine or even conversion...

good luck
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: What should I do? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Was the shop unable to get consistent compression readings to determine if one or both cylinders are leaking? What were the readings? Is the leak(s) happening at one head or both heads? Was power loss sudden or were their other symptoms prior?

this ^^^. you need more info and unless you are horribly paraphrasing the shop, you need a second opinion. have them do a compression test. it will give you 4 concrete numbers. have them do a leak down test. it will give you 4 squishy numbers but they may be able to ascertain where the compression is being lost by listening to the intake tract and the exhaust pipe. this is garage 101.

THEN you can make a more informed decision.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: What should I do? Reply with quote

I'd do another engine swap myself were it my van - it's crazy easy and there are SO many sources of information online, including Vanagon Nut's excellent documentation. Kennedy Engineering's adapter plates are the cat's meow, and certainly don't break the bank.

Plus you can get the adapter plates for a ridiculous range of engines - dig up a Ford Focus engine or an ABA or even a 4.3 Chevy at the wrecker for a couple hundred bucks and in a week you'd have an actual reliable engine in it.

Those horrible antiquated underpowered and unreliable WBX engines aren't worth the powder to blow 'em. 'Misplaced Emotional Attachment' is the only reason I can think of for running one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: What should I do? Reply with quote

astock86 wrote:

The power loss was somewhat sudden. I could hear a change in the motor as I was driving.

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Whenever you get tired of a vehicle or project, it's time to wash your hands of it. It's not worth the emotional stress worrying about it over 5k.

This is something to keep in mind.

Assuming the engine still runs.... some "bonuses"; IF it can be driven a short distance, from a buyers' POV, that's really useful; they can check engine, maybe save on tow charges. They can test drive van especially to check tranny function. The latter is a big deal IMO. (selling feature).

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I do? Reply with quote

In order to check out another option of seeing if the engine repair is worthwhile, I'd suggest contacting Hans Jorgensen.

He's in Salt Lake City, knows Vanagons well and goes by the name "hans J" here at The Samba.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=71604

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I do? Reply with quote

How much would you pay for a non running thirty year old car? Not a lot I would think. Find an decent engine that was pulled as part of an engine swap and install it, hopefully being able to do a test drive before the engine is pulled.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I do? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
How much would you pay for a non running thirty year old car? Not a lot I would think. Find an decent engine that was pulled as part of an engine swap and install it, hopefully being able to do a test drive before the engine is pulled.

Agreed. How desperate are you. You want it gone? Price accordingly. You want to maximize price then it need to be in good running shape. If in no rush have plenty of parking excetera slowly look for a cheap used engine.

Yet as buyer I would be weary of a just replaced used engine of unknown history, so in a way you be best sev d by putting in a quality rebuild. At that point will you recoup your investment?

So maybe find a buyer who wants to do engine transplant, then you are on step one. Price accordingly.

I would sleep on it. Get second opinion, hope for the best, maybe you just need to do an Italian tune-up.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I do? Reply with quote

Never condemn an engine on a compression test alone, if the comp test isn't good you must go on and do a leakdown test with the rocker sets removed. Minor valvetrain irregularities can cause unreliable comp tests, but a leakdown doesn't lie. And during leakdown, no valve is leaky until it is leaky after receiving a few sharp whacks with a plastic mallet on the spring retainer, which is why you must remove the rockers first.

Lots of engines have been condemned after comp tests when all that was wrong were simple things that can be cleared up with treatments as cheap as running a quart of ATF in a single tank of gas to clean intake valve stems, which are very prone to sticking in this engine type, especially when cheap gas is used, or a cup of ATF or MMO in the engine oil to clean the hydraulic lifters. Don't pull this engine or sell the van as-is without a rockers-off leakdown test first.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Make America Vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I do? Reply with quote

Ask yourself, 'why am I selling this?' My guess is you'd be upside down anyway, we all are, so sell as is and really highlight the positives of your van in your ad to maximize asking price. Going the other way, and fixing it, you might talk yourself into keeping it.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I do? Reply with quote

I wouldn't even consider selling it unless you're sorry you bought it.

Something had you buying it that's since changed.

What I hear most of the time is "tired of or can't afford fixing it," which I totally understand (but hope to not practice for a very long time).

It is a difficult if not impossible rig to improve upon for the same money.

— Colin Chapman
michaelbteam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I do? Reply with quote

Get a second opinion before jumping to conclusions?? In Salt Lake there are a few reputable shops I've used. Maybe you already went to Utah Imports, where Hans works. Bob at Concourse Auto is a highly skilled straight shooter. Metric Motors in Centerville specializes in engines.
And Morris Brothers specializes in German and one of them had a Syncro for years.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I do? Reply with quote

I’m always looking for non running vanagons, but I try to pay so that there is some meat on the bones once I get them running to sell on. I also have a used 2.1 WBX that I pulled out of my 90 listed for sale here. Buyer arranges freight.
astock86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: What should I do? Reply with quote

More info: cylinder's 1 and 3 are both reading with very low compression. Without the engine running, they are measuring less than 10 PSI. Running, and adding a little bit of oil to each cylinder (a way to test the cylinder rings), it bumps the compression readings up but they are still much lower than they should be. As you may know, cylinders 1 and 3 are on opposite sides of the engine, so it's not quite as simple as replacing one head gasket.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: What should I do? Reply with quote

astock86 wrote:
More info: cylinder's 1 and 3 are both reading with very low compression. Without the engine running, they are measuring less than 10 PSI. Running, and adding a little bit of oil to each cylinder (a way to test the cylinder rings), it bumps the compression readings up but they are still much lower than they should be. As you may know, cylinders 1 and 3 are on opposite sides of the engine, so it's not quite as simple as replacing one head gasket.
I'm so confused........ Please define the amount of compression increase you got from adding oil....like a bit, a fair amount...? you've got the gauge hooked up to a RUNNING ENGINE? Wait, what?????

YOU DON"T run the engine to test the compression.... You just crank the engine with the starter motor[ Spark and Fuel Systems disabled], say 7 or 8 revolutions, and see the reading generated by the NON-RUNNING ENGINE creating what ever pressure it can produce...Throttle Held Open, and hopefully the engine is a bit warm and not dead cold when you're testing it

Have you followed up on Tencent's advice, popped a valve cover off and looked at the valves of your low reading cyls to see if anything jumps out at you like a very different valve stem height between a cyl's valves.
Some Autoparts Stores can lend you the LeakDown Tester, you need compressed air to use them since you're trying to see where that Air might leak out from the Combustion Chamber , like past a valve.
Since you got 'some' increase with adding Oil, you've still got some Rings and the Cyl. Bore doing their job, and no hole in a Piston Top.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: