Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1982 Vanagon runs rough at idle, eventually stalls
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gkholcombe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: 1982 Vanagon runs rough at idle, eventually stalls Reply with quote

Hello, new to Vanagons and learned a lot via the forums, but recently my van has been running rough at idle. Changed the fuel relay about 3 months ago, changed the fuel filter recently, changed out the temp sensor today. Starts fine, but then starts to bog out, rev back up, and repeat. If I rev it then it will idle fine, but if I stop and start it, it will idle rough again. I was told it was the temp sensor so that’s why I changed that out. I took a video of it:

Link

About 27 secs. into the video you can really hear it.
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Vanagon runs rough at idle eventually stalls Reply with quote

Have you checked all of your vacuum lines for leaks very carefully, including the brake booster line?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gkholcombe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1982 Vanagon runs rough at idle eventually stalls Reply with quote

I have not. I dont know why I did it but I squeeze the hose coming off the crankcase breather and it idled fine let go, idling issues were back
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1982 Vanagon runs rough at idle eventually stalls Reply with quote

Sounds entirely like a vacuum leak in that hose to me, I'd pull it and take a good look for even small cracks. And if one hose is of the age where it's shot, they're probably all shaky and in need of inspection/replacement.

That wonky loping idle for me has usually been a vacuum issue.

Edit -HEY! Honolulu! Just saw that - I used to live on the Big Island! Aloha!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gkholcombe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1982 Vanagon runs rough at idle eventually stalls Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! Thinking about moving to the big island in a couple years! I have tried to find info on the hoses, nothing really in the Bentley then either from what I can see, would the easiest method be just remove and bring to auto zone or would I need to order online? Aloha-Geno
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1982 Vanagon runs rough at idle eventually stalls Reply with quote

You can usually find a match at the local auto store for vacuum hose - I used Gates 15/32 for the main brake booster to manifold line. I'd pull it and take it in to try to match, saves a ton of $$ on shipping and time. Good luck with it!
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Vanagon runs rough at idle eventually stalls Reply with quote

Sounds to me like you have too much crank case pressure. Have you performed a leak down test? Combustion gasses passing worn rings and charging the case will definitely cause the idle to fall then engine die.

J
Gkholcombe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Vanagon runs rough at idle eventually stalls Reply with quote

I have not. I replaced all the rubber vacuum hoses and problem still exists. Is that procedure in the Bentley? Thanks Geno
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Vanagon runs rough at idle eventually stalls Reply with quote

Gkholcombe wrote:
I have not. I replaced all the rubber vacuum hoses and problem still exists. Is that procedure in the Bentley? Thanks Geno

Open the oil fill cap while the engine is running. Put your palm over it for a moment and pull it off. Do you feel a puff of air expanding? Leave the cap off. Does the idle stay steady?

J
Gkholcombe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Vanagon runs rough at idle, eventually stalls Reply with quote

There’s a puff of air, and a gurgling sound, idle does not change. Posting another video in 5.
Gkholcombe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Vanagon runs rough at idle, eventually stalls Reply with quote

Here’s another clip:

Link
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Vanagon runs rough at idle, eventually stalls Reply with quote

Sorry.. I just watched your vids. Have the lifters ever been quiet?

J
Gkholcombe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Vanagon runs rough at idle, eventually stalls Reply with quote

They were a little quieter, I noticed a small oil leak so I think the seals on the lifters is bad or the covers so I’m told.
eugenev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Vanagon runs rough at idle, eventually stalls Reply with quote

I just went through similar problems with my van. Although you have a few additional items to check like vacuum from all hoses and checking other electronic switches. I would say check out your oxygen sensor circuit.

Look at the exhaust, what is it telling you? Is it running rich or starving? My oxygen sensor circuit was trash along with other issues but you might want to look into this. I’m not super familiar with digijet which I assume you have on your 82. And you can only hope that crazyvanman sees this and bestows his wisdom on this thread.
Gkholcombe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1982 Vanagon runs rough at idle, eventually stalls Reply with quote

I ordered a O2 sensor, should he that Friday, one of the two recommended mechanics on Oahu that I would go to is out until the 26th, so hopefully I can get it in for the compression/leak test. I did notice on a cold start it’s fine, Starts to act up after running for about 3 minutes and then after starting again warm it dies unless I give it some gas. I really appreciate all the help.
eugenev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1982 Vanagon runs rough at idle, eventually stalls Reply with quote

So it’s not just the O2 sensor, the circuit that controls it could be bad. This is why someone recommended the temp sensor. When the computer isn’t getting the correct reading or any it will stay in full rich mode. Giving too much gas for the motor temp (enter temp sensor).

My issue was a bad ground and signal wire but again, I’m running a digifant system. Do you know what efi system you are running? Maybe I missed it before. You could have the same issue and should look at what’s going on at the exhaust. Easy stuff to do over a leak down test.
Gkholcombe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Vanagon runs rough at idle, eventually stalls Reply with quote

I have the digijet system, that’s what the previous owner told me who owned it for 25 years. I’ll check all the connections and try and clean them up, i’m going to try the propane bottle method to look for vacuum leaks today or tomorrow, put hose clamps on the new hoses I installed. It happening after the engine warms up cue anything? Seems fine starting it cold. Could a bad wire for the temp sensor be causing the issue? I noticed a nick in it (wire on the van not the sensors wire). I figured 13 bucks for a O2 sensor I’d swap it out, don’t know when the last time it was changed.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Vanagon runs rough at idle, eventually stalls Reply with quote

If you have the resistors for the injectors, mounted on the firewall, you have L-Jetronic, not Digijet unless I’m thinking of the Bay Buses....I believe the L-jet has the Double Relay as well.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Gkholcombe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Vanagon runs rough at idle, eventually stalls Reply with quote

Does something look off here? I ask because if I hold the switch(roller) in it idles fine let go and it idles rough and stalls.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
pathao
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Vanagon runs rough at idle, eventually stalls Reply with quote

Gkholcombe wrote:

... Changed the fuel relay about 3 months ago,
... changed the fuel filter recently,

Gkholcombe wrote:

...because if I hold the switch(roller) in it idles fine

WOT switch. So when you activate it, it tells the CPU to go full blast on the fuel. Sound like what lee cat told you : air leaks.

Do you have readings of the fuel pressure ? Have you check the fuel-pump output/capacity ? color of the spark plugs ?

English is a second language to me
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: