Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:
So if you find Spike Jones (old times), or similar music funny, you will find this really funny. I still laugh the whole way through!

"Sleigh Rough"

Link

I kept waiting for a Vanagon to appear.

I heard a few stumbles, so there is that. Laughing

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

If you have AAA towing service, read on-line about their terrible reputation and the worst customer service ever.
Be careful as they will lie to you and leave you stranded. There are 22 pages of complaints on the national BBB.
They are friendly on the phone and make you feel comfortable. I spent over 2 hours on the phone with them, they finally just got nasty and said there was nothing they could do for me and told me to call a tow service and pay for it myself.
I was in Death Valley and have a bad head gasket on my Subie powered van. I wanted to tow it home and not have it fixed by an unfamiliar mechanic. They took me half way and left me at a AAA preferred shop, which tried to tell me my Intercooler was bad. I don't have an intercooler.
I started this ordeal at 6:30 in the morning and it arrived at my destination 140 miles at 11:00 at Night.
I had to hire a private tow truck for half of the trip. The first driver a AAA sub tried to get cash out of me to and ntold me I could just submit the bill for
Re imbursement.
Don't put your confidence in these people if you are far from home. Ask lots of questions of the operators and the drivers before they load your car on a their truck.
This is the Wild Wild West for these guys.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

Stacy, did you end up using Miller's Towing?

If so, was the tow financed? Wink

No place to break down! We've spent about 600 days in Death Valley, so know the towing options all too well. Blew an oil pan on Racetrack Valley road once... (rental car).

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

Back in the day I had them tow me through Denver.
Used my tie rods to pull the van onto the flatbed. Stopped to pickup crystal meth on the way to a second pickup so he could max out the $$ made.
Bent the tie rod.

Two years ago I was towed and they broke my reservoir by routing the tow strap around it on the way to the frame. Last week they decided not to tow my wife because she was 60 miles from the nearest provider out in the middle of the Navajo res. Can be a real roll of the dice.

At the same time I piggy backed a tow from SLO on the west coast of Cal to Phoenix by using various memebers 200 mile tows and just waititng over night before calling in the next leg of the run. Very Happy what can I say I was young and resourceful and not really concerned about others.

Im a bit more aware these days. You get what you pay for. Keep an eye on things.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

It's downright depressing what's increasingly become of our workforce.

You don't even necessarily "get what you pay for." More like, "hope to" and then feel dumb for thinking positively.

Do your job well every time people, regardless of short-term gain.

— Colin Chapman
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

We used "Two Star" tow. Who would name their company that? They towed to me Pahrump, I ended up using a REPO guy to tow it to Vegas for $250.00.
These guys are clowns.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

I must have really good luck with AAA, although I've never had a long-distance car problem *knock on wood*; all my breakdowns
have been local. Every AAA guy who has arrived to tow or check/replace a battery has been very nice, and competent. Last summer my Cabriolet died on me en route to emissions testing and wouldn't start.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

AAA guy arrived within 15 minutes, loaded the car up, took me 5 miles home while chatting about classic cars, and even helped push the car into my garage so I could work on her out of the scorching desert sun.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

In town and local is a no brainer. The local guys have a lot of competition to be polite and do the right thing. Out in the sticks, no one wants to take the jobs at discounted rates and only the low lifes will sign on with AAA.
I've used numeous times locally and they have generally been OK. I feel they showed their true colors this time.

Stayc
Samba member # 14980
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

Sounds like "Two Stars" was overrated by at least one star.

Bastards. Rolling Eyes

Edit: For a change, I've had good luck with AAA, too, even when remote. I'll take those lucky stars away from Two Stars, leaving them as the zeros they are.

— Colin Chapman
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

I have been eyeing the unused relay slots of my fuse panel area lately. I hope to find a thread on "fun things to do with the open spots for relays" or similar. Any suggestions? Maybe it is in the stickies and I have not found it yet. I recall, years ago, running across some projects that made use of these, but those memories have faded.

-bobby
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

I forgot about the chitchat thread!

This is a perfect place to ask this question:

I'm considering buying an '85 Porsche 928S. It's not in perfect condition but it's also not horrible. It's not really collectible at this point, being a 928-S, but I've always wanted one and it looks like it might be fun to dig into.

Any opinions for or against?

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:

I'm considering buying an '85 Porsche 928S. It's not in perfect condition but it's also not horrible. It's not really collectible at this point, being a 928-S, but I've always wanted one and it looks like it might be fun to dig into.

Is it an auto?
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

jberger wrote:

Is it an auto?

Yep. I'd prefer a 5-speed but this is what's in front of me.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
jberger wrote:

Is it an auto?

Yep. I'd prefer a 5-speed but this is what's in front of me.

Fres...no
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

A best friend had a '77 or '78.

We took it on a 4,000-mile road trip in 1993. It was not an S, yet we hit 163 with it and still had 700 revs left. I think it was a four rather than a 5-speed but not sure. I recall it being difficult to heel-and-toe with so an Auto may not be so bad compared to other cars (I typically hate Autos for the control loss from proper stick downshifting, but...).

I fell in love with that car and almost bought a nice, red S for about $10K. I believe maintainable can be pricy, though you're clearly a competent wrench.

They are great cars and, I thought when looking, a real bargain -- likely for being as shunned in the Porsche community as 912s and 914s were.

The steering and turn-in are quite heavy at first, and braking as well, then those becomes attributes of real stability. The faster you go, the more stable and desirable those characteristics get. We went from Bishop to Denver -- 1,040 miles IIRC -- in just over twelve hours. I say this as there was never a moment at high speed where the car spooked or surprised us, the stability and balance was really encouraging... BUT, obviously, we took our time to realize that and we're both seasoned racers.

If it's clean, and you can -- just for fun -- buy it.

— Colin Chapman
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

I've always thought the 928S was a pinnacle of achievement. I'd pref one over a 911 at this point in my life, too. I usually follow any I see to chat up the driver, if they stop somewhere before loosing me.

-bobby
michaelbteam Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

Noticing the AAA topic in this thread: I've always had good service with AAA rescue services, from towing, to locksmith [lockout], to gas delivery [learning that my gas gauge was accurate, the hard way.]
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:

I always loved the 928 looks.
The sound.
That rear end.
The engine is amazing.
Unfortunately it has 50 miles of electronics.
Instead of being like the vanagon with just the back of the Bentley devoted to the system, you have, I believe, 5 separate manuals just for that, or maybe it just seemed like it to me.
I had a neighbor who had 6 or 7 928s parked out front and in his back yard (sound familiar ? Laughing )
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

levi wrote:
joetiger wrote:

I always loved the 928 looks.
The sound.
That rear end.
The engine is amazing.
Unfortunately it has 50 miles of electronics.
Instead of being like the vanagon with just the back of the Bentley devoted to the system, you have, I believe, 5 separate manuals just for that, or maybe it just seemed like it to me.
I had a neighbor who had 6 or 7 928s parked out front and in his back yard (sound familiar ? Laughing )

It's interesting reading the 928 forums, they're discussions and support seems remarkably similar to ours. A lot of the electrical wonkiness seems to go back to deteriorated grounds (there are at least eight ground clusters all around the car.) The fuse panel is pretty intimidating, though. Very large.

Replacing fuel lines is a big deal. Go figure. Timing belt, auto trans weirdness, alignment issues are also on the list.

I'm going to go and drive a couple. Because this purchase would be totally, absolutely unnecessary, I feel like I have time on my side to think about it and maybe find one that works. I love them for all of the same reasons listed here.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

Welp, here goes nuthin'....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rough around the edges, mechanically sound, got it for next-to-nothing. Should be a fun project.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 26

Jump to: