Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New build, cylinders 3/4 not responding
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonkaJim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject: New build, cylinders 3/4 not responding Reply with quote

OK, I got the new engine in the Ghia to idle and even drove it around the block a couple of times, but, when I went to tune the dual carbs, I discovered that cylinders 3/4 weren't responding to any speed or mixture adjustments. Cylinders 1/2 responded appropriately. Also, I'd get an immediate response from 1/2 when opening the throttle, but nothing on 3/4 unless I really opened it up... but then it would backfire up through the carb (almost got hit by a flying synchronizer; had to glue it back together). I swapped the carbs and the issue was till with 3/4, so it's not the carbs. Also, I've set the timing (It's not perfect since only 2-ish cylinders, but close), checked compression (120 PSI all around), adjusted the valves several times and confirmed spark to each cylinder. So, by process of elimination, I'm thinking there's something wrong with the valves... especially with the backfiring through the carburetor.

Tonight, I'm going to pull the rocker on that side and see what I find. Any recommendations on how to diagnose this issue?

Engine is a professional rebuild, but I don't know any specs; carbs are dual EMPI 40 HPMX; distributor is a vintage Bosch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: New build, cylinders 3/4 not responding Reply with quote

Did you swap the 3 and 4 wires?

I suspect you have the wires on wrong. 1-4-3-2 clockwise.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TonkaJim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: New build, cylinders 3/4 not responding Reply with quote

Glenn - I thought the same thing, but I've confirmed the firing order several times.

j
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: New build, cylinders 3/4 not responding Reply with quote

If you have decent compression all around I double its a valve problem... Remember cam only has 4 lobes so if its a cam problem the opposing cylinder(s) will have same problem...

Vacuum leak on 3/4 side intake? ... Usually back fire through crab indicates lean condition...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: New build, cylinders 3/4 not responding Reply with quote

Check for plugged idle jets.

Also, make sure UNEQUIVOCALLY that the carburetors are synchronized properly. Make sure the progression ports on one side are not exposed at idle.

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-L3 Heads 35x32 valves 52cc chambers
-0.040" deck for about 9.1:1 Compression
-Engle W110 cam
-CB Super Stock 1.1:1 Rockers
-Stock Heat Exchangers w/ Tri-Mil Muffler
-Dual Weber IDF 40s w/ 26mm venturis
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TonkaJim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: New build, cylinders 3/4 not responding Reply with quote

Dale - Good point about the cam. I'll check for intake leakage.

j
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: New build, cylinders 3/4 not responding Reply with quote

TonkaJim wrote:
OK, I got the new engine in the Ghia to idle and even drove it around the block a couple of times, but, when I went to tune the dual carbs, I discovered that cylinders 3/4 weren't responding to any speed or mixture adjustments. Cylinders 1/2 responded appropriately. Also, I'd get an immediate response from 1/2 when opening the throttle, but nothing on 3/4 unless I really opened it up... but then it would backfire up through the carb (almost got hit by a flying synchronizer; had to glue it back together). I swapped the carbs and the issue was till with 3/4, so it's not the carbs. Also, I've set the timing (It's not perfect since only 2-ish cylinders, but close), checked compression (120 PSI all around), adjusted the valves several times and confirmed spark to each cylinder. So, by process of elimination, I'm thinking there's something wrong with the valves... especially with the backfiring through the carburetor.

Tonight, I'm going to pull the rocker on that side and see what I find. Any recommendations on how to diagnose this issue?

Engine is a professional rebuild, but I don't know any specs; carbs are dual EMPI 40 HPMX; distributor is a vintage Bosch.

Take the mixture screws completely out to make sure the seats didn't blow out of the carb body.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
TonkaJim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: New build, cylinders 3/4 not responding Reply with quote

Paul,

I've cleaned the carbs several times and verified the jets are clean. I also swapped the carbs and still have the same problem on the same side. I discovered this problem as I was sync'ing the carbs. I can adjust the idle speed screw to sync the air flow, but it does nothing to the engine speed.

j
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: New build, cylinders 3/4 not responding Reply with quote

My money is on a vacuum leak at base or not synced.
TonkaJim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: New build, cylinders 3/4 not responding Reply with quote

[/quote]Take the mixture screws completely out to make sure the seats didn't blow out of the carb body.[/quote]

Roy, I swapped the carbs and the problem is still with the 3/4 cylinders, so doesn't seem to be a carb issue.

j
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: New build, cylinders 3/4 not responding Reply with quote

TonkaJim wrote:
Take the mixture screws completely out to make sure the seats didn't blow out of the carb body.[/quote]

Roy, I swapped the carbs and the problem is still with the 3/4 cylinders, so doesn't seem to be a carb issue.

j[/quote]

Ok cool. So yeah, it has to be some kind of vacuum leak. Did you do a leakdown test?

Have you measured the exhaust temp to confirm that it's not running on that side? If not, use a simple laser heat gun and measure the temp on each exhaust flange(for consistency) They should all be within 10-25 degrees of each other.

www.mofoco.com

TonkaJim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: New build, cylinders 3/4 not responding Reply with quote

Roy - Thanks. I'm going to do a leak test tonight. And, per your suggestion, i'm going to bring home the thermal imaging camera from work and take some pics!!

j
Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: New build, cylinders 3/4 not responding Reply with quote

TonkaJim wrote:
Paul,

I've cleaned the carbs several times and verified the jets are clean. I also swapped the carbs and still have the same problem on the same side. I discovered this problem as I was sync'ing the carbs. I can adjust the idle speed screw to sync the air flow, but it does nothing to the engine speed.

j

Sorry, I missed that part! Yeah, at this point you are probably looking for a vacuum leak on that side.

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-L3 Heads 35x32 valves 52cc chambers
-0.040" deck for about 9.1:1 Compression
-Engle W110 cam
-CB Super Stock 1.1:1 Rockers
-Stock Heat Exchangers w/ Tri-Mil Muffler
-Dual Weber IDF 40s w/ 26mm venturis
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: New build, cylinders 3/4 not responding Reply with quote

On thing that stays the same side when you swap carburettors over is the fuel supply. Maybe the problem is a blocked fuel fitting.

Or maybe its pinched tinware under the manifold letting in air.

Also treble check spark plug lead order...the big backfires sort of seem familiar.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New build, cylinders 3/4 not responding Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:
On thing that stays the same side when you swap carburettors over is the fuel supply. Maybe the problem is a blocked fuel fitting.

Or maybe its pinched tinware under the manifold letting in air.

Also treble check spark plug lead order...the big backfires sort of seem familiar.

Good call on the fuel supply possibility

www.mofoco.com

TonkaJim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New build, cylinders 3/4 not responding Reply with quote

Mike - thanks. I know I i have fuel, but but I'll double check to make sure it's not blocked and even for both carbs. I have a pressure gauge on the 1/2 carburetor. I'll move it over to the 3/4 to see how it reads.

j
stanthedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New build, cylinders 3/4 not responding Reply with quote

as miked also pointed out. make sure the tin isn't in the way. I had to deal with that myself. on mine, it was mostly on the 3-4 side. felt tight but wasn't.
TonkaJim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New build, cylinders 3/4 not responding Reply with quote

Stan - Ah ha ... by that you mean that the tin could be preventing the intake manifold from seating completely on the head? I'll take a look. thanks!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New build, cylinders 3/4 not responding Reply with quote

TonkaJim wrote:
Stan - Ah ha ... by that you mean that the tin could be preventing the intake manifold from seating completely on the head? I'll take a look. thanks!

Yes....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New build, cylinders 3/4 not responding Reply with quote

Do the spray trick!
While it’s running, spray some carb cleaner or WD-40 around the intake manifolds. If the leak is that bad you’ll notice a change right away.
You’ll have a mess to clean up of course

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: