Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is this rust too far gone?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this rust too far gone? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Okay, here were what my heater channels used to look like so that’s what I based it off of.

Quote:
I also like to drive my cars, not sit and look at them in various states of disassembly. I’ve never seen the appeal of that.

I definitely have to agree with that. Mine was a safety thing where when you sat in it the floor pans would bend down. I didn’t originally want to do all of it but it snowballed from a battery tray. I definitely miss driving my bug but it should be done in a few months.
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this rust too far gone? Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
I definitely miss driving my bug but it should be done in a few months.

How many times have you said that over the last few years? Laughing Laughing
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this rust too far gone? Reply with quote

Yes...
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this rust too far gone? Reply with quote

I thought it a bit. But also I’ve driven the chassis over the last two years since it’s done. Also, I’ve driven it a bit last fall and this summer with the body on around the block, but I couldn’t actually really drive it anywhere since it was just test driving the chassis with a body shell on... I live in the country so I can go on a few test drives Laughing Still, I would love to take it on long trips rather than 1 mile. I couldn’t drive it very far before because of charging issues, now it’s 12v. It was also my first beetle and didn’t know what to look for for rust, it was also hidden with fiberglass floor pans and bondo. I’ve learned a lot, I definitely wouldn’t do that much rust repair again unless it was an oval, split, or split bus.
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldmanmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this rust too far gone? Reply with quote

My 2 cents...i learned the hard way. Shell out the money and buy the best body you can buy. Don't think you can save $ buying a beater body and cutting , welding new metal in. Your time is $ too. If you can't decide now its to rusty your admitting its beyond your workable level. Theres the rust you can see and there's the rust you discover, a lot more than you want.
Look for somebodys project that has most of the body work done that they've put up for sale. Classifieds full of them.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Is this rust too far gone? Reply with quote

That is some scary stuff, it looks like it might be a northern car.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: