Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

62 Kombi restore and build
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NomadStudioBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: 62 Kombi restore and build Reply with quote

Hey all

I decided to start a new thread for my bus build. I've been into VW's most of my life, wanted a split bus since I was 20. After joining samba and researching buses since 2015 I finally bought my first one last year at 39.

So I'm about a year in on the long journey of getting the bus back on the road... delving into the archeology and of the history of it. It won't be a total restore and I'll be making some alterations, the main will be making it a swivel seat camper.

I've been making videos on youtube which I will post here as well as pics of the process. I've already learned so much in the last 4 years, but I still have a ton to learn.

I hope you enjoy my thread and I look forward to getting feedback and guidance on the way.

Cheers,
Jeremy

For starters here's the bus when I first found it

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by NomadStudioBus on Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:31 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NomadStudioBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: My 62 Kombi resto and build Reply with quote

The floor needed a total replacement. Both Rockers, all 4 outriggers, crossmembers, front cross brace... you get the picture

Here's the first video I made from buying it to floor removal:

Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: My 62 Kombi resto and build Reply with quote

Cool project bus, but PLEASE put the safety guard back on your angle grinder. This is what happened to a friend of mine just recently. Consider if this hits your throat. You will not post any more videos - EVER ! that said, good luck on the project and looking forward to further updates.

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
NomadStudioBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: My 62 Kombi resto and build Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
Cool project bus, but PLEASE put the safety guard back on your angle grinder

Thanks for the concern, and I'm glad you'll be following along! I typically do keep it on, however it prevented getting into many tight spots with it on. Also most of the time I was using a diamond wheel. But thank you I will keep it mind
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Kombi restore and build Reply with quote

That's some nasty East Coast rust there.
How bad are the frame rails?
You may want to weld in some bracing, or mount it to a frame cradle, to prevent the bus from collapsing when you cut out the rusty sections.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NomadStudioBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: 62 Kombi restore and build Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
That's some nasty East Coast rust there.
How bad are the frame rails?
You may want to weld in some bracing, or mount it to a frame cradle, to prevent the bus from collapsing when you cut out the rusty sections.

Yess, indeed it was. It's moved leaps and bounds from how it looks here. The frame rails are great, completely solid front to back, only a small amount of rot in the inside where the front crossbrace was, which I welded up. Otherwise only a little surface rust. Most of the crossmembers solid except for 12" on either side.
I've had the floor out since last october and all is well Very Happy
type2rescuemaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Kombi restore and build Reply with quote

Cool project! Did you get this bus from Nate Jung? I feel like I remember him posting a picture of it on Instagram awhile back
NomadStudioBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Kombi restore and build Reply with quote

type2rescuemaine wrote:
Cool project! Did you get this bus from Nate Jung? I feel like I remember him posting a picture of it on Instagram awhile back

Thanks! and yes I did. Nate is a great guy and I had a good experience buying the bus from him last summer. Actually, the pics I posted are from when it was at his place. I've done a lot on the bus since but I wanted to go back to show the progression
karl h
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Kombi restore and build Reply with quote

very nice project, looks a little like mine rustwise...
you are a brave man attempting a resto in such a tight space
86 Caravelle
04 new beetle vert
NomadStudioBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: 62 Kombi restore and build Reply with quote

karl h wrote:
very nice project, looks a little like mine rustwise...
you are a brave man attempting a resto in such a tight space

Thanks for checking it out Karl, nice thread you have going there too. Seems like quite a project! They are pretty similar... I look forward to combing through it

lol yeah the space was a temp place to start - super tight! Since then I've moved to a slightly larger space Laughing but it's tough to find good size affordable garages in NYC. I'm looking into buying a house upstate with a garage/barn now, which would be ideal
NomadStudioBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Kombi restore and build Reply with quote

the roof!

when I found this bus, someone, a long long time ago had cut a big hole in the roof and "begun" the process to make in pop top. So, I'm going to finish what they started

removing the peice of bay window roof that had been pop riveted on...

NomadStudioBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 62 Kombi restore and build Reply with quote

Started cleaning up the engine and compartment

Discovered through a previous thread that it's a 67 beetle engine
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=724109

Fuel pump teardown and rebuild, discovered it's a BCD Torino pump made in italy

NomadStudioBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: 62 Kombi restore and build Reply with quote

NomadStudioBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Kombi restore and build Reply with quote

Hey all, here's another video I made earlier this year from the beginning of the project. I know a lot of people want tutorials or explanations, and as I progress I may do some but for now I'm more focused on documenting the work in a fun and interesting way. I hope you enjoy Cool

Link

karl h
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Kombi restore and build Reply with quote

nice video. hope you had the doors on for a trial fit when you repaired the b-pillar
86 Caravelle
04 new beetle vert
NomadStudioBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: 62 Kombi restore and build Reply with quote

karl h wrote:
nice video. hope you had the doors on for a trial fit when you repaired the b-pillar

Thanks karl - I did, it all fit up nicely. I only replaced below the hinge mount so I was able to keep the doors on
NomadStudioBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: 62 Kombi restore and build Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: 62 Kombi restore and build Reply with quote

What is your plan on a swivel seat being she is a bulkhead bus? I'm saying that because the bulkhead looks good and maybe someone out there could use it when you remove it.

Any updates Jeremy being this weekend is warm here in the Tri-State Wink
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NomadStudioBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Kombi restore and build Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
What is your plan on a swivel seat being she is a bulkhead bus? I'm saying that because the bulkhead looks good and maybe someone out there could use it when you remove it.

Any updates Jeremy being this weekend is warm here in the Tri-State Wink

Hey LAGrunthaner, thanks for asking. Yes, the plan was to remove the bulkhead.. but at this point I've listed the bus for sale. I'm moving out of state and it's just too much to take on moving it and finding another location. We shall see. If it doesn't sell and I keep it, I had some fun ideas for it... but you know. Time, money, all that.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2331723
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: