Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WW 36hp stroker crank timing gear installation
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rzepko6194
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: WW 36hp stroker crank timing gear installation Reply with quote

I’m trying to install the timing gear on a new WW 36hp stroker crank but it gets stuck during installation. I heated the gear in oil and then tried to tap it on with a pipe and small hammer. The gear goes down about a 3/4” on the crank and doesn’t seem to go any further. I’m thinking that this portion of the crank is dimensionally out of spec but I don’t have an original crank to use as a reference.

I called WW and they said that this is the first time they’re hearing about this issue. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I just bring it to a machine shop to get it pressed on?

Thanks !
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: WW 36hp stroker crank timing gear installation Reply with quote

You need to get the gear hotter. I’ve never heated it in oil and don’t see how you can get it hot enough doing so. The oil would be smoking.

Use a propane torch or 350 degrees in oven for 30 minutes

When hot enough, it will slide right on
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rzepko6194
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: WW 36hp stroker crank timing gear installation Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
You need to get the gear hotter. I’ve never heated it in oil and don’t see how you can get it hot enough doing so. The oil would be smoking.

Use a propane torch or 350 degrees in oven for 30 minutes

When hot enough, it will slide right on

Thanks txoval, I’ll give it a shot.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: WW 36hp stroker crank timing gear installation Reply with quote

Clean real good if using the kitchen oven...don’t want you to get yelled at Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rzepko6194
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: WW 36hp stroker crank timing gear installation Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Clean real good if using the kitchen oven...don’t want you to get yelled at Laughing

The wife’s traveling for the next few days, so I’ll have time for any potential cleanup. Wink
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: WW 36hp stroker crank timing gear installation Reply with quote

Bring the crank into kitchen then...less heat loss the better
rzepko6194
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: WW 36hp stroker crank timing gear installation Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Bring the crank into kitchen then...less heat loss the better

Yep, that’s definitely in the plan. I have the flywheel attached to act as a base.
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: WW 36hp stroker crank timing gear installation Reply with quote

I have a small electric burner (single) in the shop, but you could do it on an electric stove too. I put a small drop of oil on the gear, when the oil starts smoking...it's hot enough. Grab it quickly, it will just slide on like butter. Some gears are stubborn, so I have a socket and hammer at the ready to drive it home if it doesn't bottom out.
rzepko6194
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: WW 36hp stroker crank timing gear installation Reply with quote

Thanks motofly196.
rzepko6194
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: WW 36hp stroker crank timing gear installation Reply with quote

With the proper amount of heat and a drop of oil to tell me it “was ready”, the Timing gear dropped into place with just one tap to fully seat. Thanks guys!
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: WW 36hp stroker crank timing gear installation Reply with quote

Awesome!! Glad that worked for you!
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: WW 36hp stroker crank timing gear installation Reply with quote

That great, the right amount of heat is critical. Good luck with the rest of the build
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: WW 36hp stroker crank timing gear installation Reply with quote

I use a hot plate and a 6" disk of 1/2" aluminum plate, I put the disk on the hot plate and heat it for a few minutes and then heat the gears and they just drop on.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: WW 36hp stroker crank timing gear installation Reply with quote

Two other methods to heat the gear: Top of woodstove, or on a metal pan placed in a gas BBQ. Both worked perfectly for me, with the gear going all the way home first try.

Have the crank ready and stable close by; mounted to a flywheel with crank nose up works well. Rehearse the quick maneuver with the gear, and make sure the key is level and completely seated in the keyway. Safety: Wear thick gloves and do not leave the heat source unattended.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: