Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

You might be disappointed with Westy seats. The stockers in my '87 were rock hard, not supportive and made me feel like I was tipping forward all the time. Any drive lasting more than a few hours caused numbness and cramping in hips and legs. The Eurovan seats I installed are much better. I kept mine to go with the van if it ever leaves but I would never recommend them.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
IMHO ....... and having put seat belts into cars long before Washington DC decided that they were a "must have" item. (My Dad put them in our 1955 Chevy Station Wagon ...... in 1955. )

To engineer adequate seat mounting, sufficient to withstand the G-forces of a frontal crash, is not something to be taken lightly.

To state that the seat Pillars and factory slide track can hold in a 200lb +/- human in a frontal crash is probably folly.

VW has a history of seat track failure......
Yes, they redesigned them to better hold tge seat in a crash, but they never depended upon them as a seat belt mounting point.

In short I suggest that you use the VW engineered Seat Belt mounting points.
You will probably only have a false sense of security using the Dodge seat belt point on the Seat.

But..... as with many things automotive, do as you wish and hope that your Rube Goldberg seat mounting holds fast when/if the crash happens.

Dave
In YODA SPEAK... Forward Thinking your Father Was... Wink
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

A buddy got tboned and is parting out his grand caravan with grey leather fold flat seats. Anyone doing a seat swap.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/421281618466215/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Nice, but freight to the other coast...........? Look to be in great shape. Fold flat for me is not such an attractive feature as reclining flat. Son has an Element and thinking about grabbing one at Pic 'n Pay and seeing if the skeleton could be adapted to the T3 seat frame. Maybe I'm an odd ball--well, actually that's already well known--but I really like the Vanagon seats and find them easier for me on long trips than other new cars with the legs stretched out more. I moved the back rest 1 inch back giving more thigh support and other than needing cleaning and heat, I'm happy with them. Although if a pair of the T & C guys fell into my lap......
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Nice, but freight to the other coast...........?

About $80 by Greyhound for the pair in a single box.
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

I did the greyhound thing with a westy cabinet once. Worked well and affordable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jjones659
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Has anyone installed these seats in a 72 bay window?
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Jjones659 wrote:
Has anyone installed these seats in a 72 bay window?

You'll find photos of them in a Bay bus (year unknown) several pages back. Not many details, I don't think.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Welp I'm planning to join this club sometime soon. For my '78 Bus.

On a bit of a whim, in between classes, I went down to a salvage yard that had a couple Town and Country vans and struck a deal on a set of tan leather heated seats. They'll need cleaning up, but for $40 each, it seemed like a pretty good deal to give these a shot!

The only downside is they weren't able to pull it today, and I'm only in town on Wednesdays, so I'll have to wait until next week to pick them up. The bummer (that I only now just realized) is I was hoping to be able to set them up to before a Labor Day trip, and now I doubt that'll happen.

Unless there is a great "bolt 'em in" kit someone has developed that I could get here in the mean time? (I'll look through the thread to see, unless someone knows and replies, which I would appreciate!)

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Welp I'm planning to join this club sometime soon. For my '78 Bus.

On a bit of a whim, in between classes, I went down to a salvage yard that had a couple Town and Country vans and struck a deal on a set of tan leather heated seats. They'll need cleaning up, but for $40 each, it seemed like a pretty good deal to give these a shot!

The only downside is they weren't able to pull it today, and I'm only in town on Wednesdays, so I'll have to wait until next week to pick them up. The bummer (that I only now just realized) is I was hoping to be able to set them up to before a Labor Day trip, and now I doubt that'll happen.

Unless there is a great "bolt 'em in" kit someone has developed that I could get here in the mean time? (I'll look through the thread to see, unless someone knows and replies, which I would appreciate!)

Later called the yard back, after I realized they had an affiliate yard much closer to home. The seats will be delivered there tomorrow morning via their in-between truck.

I'm thinking of doing an initial install similar to this post, assuming/hoping I can remove the tracks from either a Vanagon or Eurovan seat without destroying it?

fxr wrote:
Did mine over the last couple of days. I was very happy with the ebay seller - the seats were very well protected and packaged, and arrived promptly.

My old, manky, non-OEM seats did have slides for the turntables, so I made some brackets from some 1/8" 1"x1" steel angle to marry them to the seats. I cut four 420mm lengths, drilled 8mm clearances holes - the VW slides are 387mm between centres, and the T&C seats are 240mm between centres - and chopped a bit more off each one to give clearance for odd tabs and things on the slides.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had to straighten out the VW adjusting rod so it didn't foul the new seat. Total extra cost including a few hack-saw blades and some 8mm nuts and washers was less than $20, even buying the angle-iron from Ace (it's at the end of my road...).

Mrs fxr is very pleased, and *loves* the armrests. Wink

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Well I picked up my seats today, and ended up just ordering the Small Car adapters. I think I'd like to try to sell my fairly-decent Vanagon and Eurovan seats, so I didn't want to chop up a set of rails. I figured by the time I bought the metal to try to make some kind of rails, and then welded it all up, I'd be pretty close to the adapters.

What sealed that deal was when I called Small Car, he assured me that they could get them to be by Thursday. Since I can/will have everything all set up ahead of time in the Bus and with the seats, it should be a breeze to throw them in. We're taking the Bus on a trip Friday.

Seats came with the Stow and Go stuff, so I just got done removing all that.

I removed the seatbelt buckle, and because I couldn't quickly find any appropriately sized washers, just cut the bolt hole off the buckle and used that to keep the spacing the same.

My seats do have heaters (I was pretty excited to see that label tucked up on the wiring harness), and I am pretty sure I can make 'em work... Very Happy

Updates when I figure that out.

In case anyone else wonders like me, it doesn't appear that there is any need for the two cables that connect the Stow and Go mechanism to the seat.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Got my seats installed!

Initial impressions:

I previously had Eurovan seats in there, that I had attempted to cut the foam down a little bit to not sit so high. Bay seat stands seem to be a tad higher than Vanagon stands, and Eurovan seats are a bit taller than Vanagon seats. Because of that foam trimming, they just weren't as comfortable as I thought they should be.

All I had time for tonight was a very short test drive, but initially it seems like I'm sitting a tad higher than the Eurovan seats (mostly based on reaching the shifter). Not uncomfortable though.

For the passenger seat, I really, really like some of the changes. I LOVE that I can flip it down for a much more roomy feeling in the Bus. (I know I can always turn the seat around for more room, but this is a quick and easy way to do it.) It also seems to be easier to spin than the old seat. (Though I admit part of that may well be that I moved the seatbelt reel.)

Also the arm rests no longer interfere with the arm rest on the door. With the Eurovan seats (and Vanagon seats they replaced) I had to push the seat all the way toward the front when it was spun around to not have them interfere. That was a part of the whole seat-spinning routine that I am happy to not have to mess with.

Also, since this is a Bay, I have the child's cot. With the Vanagon and Eurovan seats (and possibly the Bay seats) the head rests were always in the way, so it was a thing where I had to scoot them forward, and lean them all the way back, and/or remove the headrests to install the cot. Now, I can just let 'em flip forward and they are totally out of the way. Even though the driver's seat cannot flip 100% forward (hits the steering wheel) it goes low enough to clear.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

So I installed mine this past spring and tested them on some shorter trips and was quite impressed, but have just returned from a 7200 km trip through two provinces and six states and can attest to the increased level in comfort for both me and SWMBO who occupied the passenger seat for the entire trip. In short, way more thigh support and firmness and better range of adjustment. That the passenger seat reclines more for napping through south Wyoming at 50 mph into a headwind is also a bonus. In short, one of the best enhancements I have made to the Westy!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

coqwesty wrote:
So I installed mine this past spring and tested them on some shorter trips and was quite impressed, but have just returned from a 7200 km trip through two provinces and six states and can attest to the increased level in comfort for both me and SWMBO who occupied the passenger seat for the entire trip. In short, way more thigh support and firmness and better range of adjustment. That the passenger seat reclines more for napping through south Wyoming at 50 mph into a headwind is also a bonus. In short, one of the best enhancements I have made to the Westy!

My Wife and I had the same experience.
The factory seats comfort wore off in 2-3 hours, the rest of the day was spent shifting and squirming about, trying pillows and whatnot.

With the new seats, on an 8,000 mile trip it wasn't until well into the 7,000 mark (Illinois on the way home) that we determined we were tired of sitting in these seats!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
coqwesty wrote:

My Wife and I had the same experience.
The factory seats comfort wore off in 2-3 hours, the rest of the day was spent shifting and squirming about, trying pillows and whatnot.

With the new seats, on an 8,000 mile trip it wasn't until well into the 7,000 mark (Illinois on the way home) that we determined we were tired of sitting in these seats!

Dave

I'm excited to see how my wife likes these seats. She didn't like the part about the Eurovan seats having a "bar" (the top edge of the seat pan) that "cut off my circulation in my legs"because I'd cut the foam down.

She did like to lean the seat back and nap on occasion, so the ability to recline further with the Eurovan seat does beat these. But she didn't like using the knob a little at a time to do it, and I don't think she went much past what these do anyway, so I think the ease of reclining the seats will be a winner.

We're leaving after work in Friday for a 9-hour drive to Wisconsin (planning to go straight through, we need to get there by 10:30 am Saturday) so there will be plenty of time for testing soon enough!

I did drive in it an hour this morning, and other than wishing I was sitting a little lower (as I always do) it does seem to be an improvement. I think I preferred the position of the Eurovan armrests a little better. If someone came up with a way to make these go lower, that would be awesome!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Initially yes, the armrest are different.
Soon you'll like them better, easier to rest elbows upon and steer, a more natural position.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

So I was able to go on the trip and really give these things a test.

I have to say, my review isn't as glowing as everybody elses'.

I would say that overall, the discomfort is similar to the previous Eurovan seats, though perhaps in a different way. I guess I didn't ask my wife for her thoughts one way or another, yet. She didn't complain, though that might be because she knew I was excited about 'em.

Or perhaps more correctly, I never thought, "wow, these things are great!" I still had lots of tension/soreness in my thighs.

Also, as currently mounted, the center box actually doesn't fit any better than before (and maybe a tad tighter owing to the denser foam).

One of the tasks I was given while visiting our friends was to look over a 2015 Town and Country she was looking to buy and take on a 6 week long road trip with her four kids. I noticed that, as installed in the van, the seats have quite a rake back-compared to in a Vanagon or Bus where the seats are pretty flat.

I sat in them and, for the short time I was there and contemplating removing the front passenger seat for the friend, they seemed more comfortable. I think part of my discomfort was that I didn't feel "held in" by the seat, and I think this rake is the difference.

So now I'm thinking of looking at remounting them to have them tip back a bit, and also perhaps redrill the holes in the adapters to shift them outboard just a little bit.

Reference pic for the seats in the Town and Country. Definitely not sitting flat.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Good call on the mounting of the seats in the Dodge. It may be worth palying with the angle.
I guess they are so superior to the Vanagon seats that no one gave seat angle a second thought!? 🤔

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Jjones659
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Has anyone mounted these seats in a early bay? I'm installing some in my 72 and was curious on what people did. I don't have swivel seats. Was thinking about just bolting/ welding some plates for the seats to mount to
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Must not have made the post in this thread (so I don't remember where I did post it!) but I did end up using a nut as a spacer along with longer bolts to raise the front of the seats a little bit. This did improve comfort, though I may like to raise them up a little more.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 22 of 30

Jump to: