Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

May I introduce my Pearl White, Fall of '67 Double Cab, Dockery.

Soaking up some sun this morning:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Took the dude to the drive in to get a bite to eat, all was good.

Until...about 5 miles from the house, the engine began to backfire and sputter. I knew that it had been running rich, so I immediately thought I had perhaps foiled the plugs.
After fooling with it for a half an hour, I hitchhiked back to the house, grabbed my tools, loaded up my daily and went to assess the trouble. First things first, start with easy.
Checked voltage - good.
Swapped coil - curiosity, no change
Pulled plugs - weren't as bad as I thought
Reset carb adjustments back to standard settings - no change
Distributor assessment - barely loosening it, aligning TDC, the distributor rotor had excessive play. Would you believe that the timing gear and distributor got off! Further investigation, there isn't a spring inside the case between the two.

Realigned distributor and pushed down tightly while snugging it up, I'm on a mission to find a new distributor/timing gear spring.
Drove the bus back home. Ran better too.

Here we are on the side of the road assessing the woes:

Tying up loose ends, leaving out Friday morning 8/23

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]

Last edited by SamboSamba22 on Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

She's a beaut! Cool
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Applause Applause Applause

Congratulations! Mile stone achievement.

Now go edit My to May. Wink Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Applause Applause Applause

Congratulations! Mile stone achievement.

Now go edit My to May. Wink Laughing

Edited and corrected, you big grammatical stud, you.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Congrats man, have fun!
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Thank you guys, a lot of work and time since February to have it one color and running.
We’ve eliminated rust, pounds of Bondo, bullet holes, mice chewed wires, dings, dents, bruises, all the best from 50 years of cruises!

Really, I’ve done what so many you guys have done before, shown a little love to something once forgotten. I learned to do that here, from you guys. And with my willingness, trial and error, it’s another one saved. Just this time, a little more rare. Per the Production Numbers listed on The Samba:

Total Production of buses (fall of ‘67) - 162,741
Total Production of Crew Cab - 8463 (5.2%)

It has the major work completed, now as money and time allows, I’ll be finishing up the interior, restoring the bumpers, saving up for a bigger power plant, roof racks, tilt and canvas, logos, etc...

We bitch about it, but it never is complete. And we never want them to be.

Thanks for all the help, support, and kind words my Samba family. This truly is a great community. If anyone is near Eureka Springs, AR this weekend, please come say hello.

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Good for you, Sam! Deep reward for several gallons of sweat, and probably a few ounces of blood, too.

Sorry to hear about the distributor problem. As I understand you, the compression spring for the distributor drive shaft is missing?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:

Sorry to hear about the distributor problem. As I understand you, the compression spring for the distributor drive shaft is missing?

Yes it was, I picked one up from a friend here in town. With it, it’s not only staying proper with timing, but idling much better. I must admit I knew it was missing and didn’t think anything of it. Lesson learned.

Been test driving the bus around town today getting things ready for headin out in the morning, things are looking good.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Had a great time this past weekend in Eureka Springs for the 27th Annual VW Show. A solid turn out and some very nice cars out and about, it's always a blast seeing these old things consume the little town.

A glimpse of Eureka Springs if one has never been:

We stayed at what is now the Wanderoo, but formerly known as the Joy Motel, which originated as a summer camp for boys in the early 1930's. Great location, sandpaper sheets.

Here I am soliciting and posted up in the main lot behind the Best Western. There were probably 200 cars down in the this lot, some very nice to boot.

The Bus Barn?! Just some dude having fun working on old VW's. It pays the bills, thankfully.

A fellow bus fanatic captured the bus on the move during the parade downtown, which I thought was pretty damn cool. Surprisingly, through all of the hunting on social media of this past weekend, NO ONE has pictures or video of the truck. Do people not know how rare these are, or do they think I just hacked a bus???

And here. Ah, here. In this moment. This is me laughing because of nerves, just after I pulled over in the state of emergency. Coming out of the parade, this bus let out a bellow of black smoke, and died. See my careless concern?

The damage?
Not one, but both valve springs broke on cylinder 3. Completely on the exhaust valve, causing some damage to the top of the piston. Here are some naughty pics:

The damage to the piston:

So, late last night just after midnight, I finished the teardown and reassembly of the engine. Pulled the piston and cylinder, swapped them for another set I had, put two "newer" reworked heads on the engine and installed it back up in the bus.
I checked the rod, which didn't have any apparent damage, nor the cylinder bore. The springs and keepers remaining in the valve train area. Had one push rod which got lodged between the head and rocker assembly, so I swapped it out for a good one.

Nothing ideal, but I drove the bus this morning to get breakfast. It'll be good enough to enjoy around town, but I'm on the hunt for an engine.

Hope everyone had a great weekend. If you have never been to Eureka Springs, I highly suggest checking it out.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Time for you to find the bits to rebuild an engine. Wink

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Link

Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:

Link

"Flips Record":
"I want to Ride My Bicycle"... Laughing

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

On the engine topic, a friend of mine has a 1835 which he is willing to sell for around $2k. Professionally built, I have the guys name in Tulsa two years ago. Mileage is less than 10k or so. Thoughts?

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
On the engine topic, a friend of mine has a 1835 which he is willing to sell for around $2k. Professionally built, I have the guys name in Tulsa two years ago. Mileage is less than 10k or so. Thoughts?

Depending on how you drive it. 1835 have thinner walls cylinders no? Causing possible overheating issues when pushing a larger object than a bug?

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

Depending on how you drive it. 1835 have thinner walls cylinders no? Causing possible overheating issues when pushing a larger object than a bug?

Hahahaha, thin walls are such old wives’ tale.

You know how many times I’ve been told to run 92 “thick walls” instead of 94s? About as many times as I get stopped at a gas station by some rando telling me their old VW stories.

I’ve run 94s for damn near 60k with no temp issues. To be honest my heads run cool as a cucumber. Might have to do with the super nice heads I have, but still no issues.

OP, scoop that engine up and enjoy the rest of the season with a smile. 😊
’65 Deluxe Build
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Well I’m at a crossroads:
1776 for $1400 built by “35 years of engine building” warranty here locally in Arkansas.
Or,
Drive to OKC and pick up that 1835 for $2k.

The 1776 being a long block, the 1835 complete minus carb and exhaust. What kind of power between the two are we looking at?
65/70 and 80hp? I just want comfortable driving and reliability. I don’t need to impress anyone, i receive love at home.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Hahahaha, thin walls are such old wives’ tale.

You know how many times I’ve been told to run 92 “thick walls” instead of 94s? About as many times as I get stopped at a gas station by some rando telling me their old VW stories.

I’ve run 94s for damn near 60k with no temp issues. To be honest my heads run cool as a cucumber. Might have to do with the super nice heads I have, but still no issues.

OP, scoop that engine up and enjoy the rest of the season with a smile. 😊

In all my years in this hobby I don't recall anyone saying a thin wall 1835 runs hotter, only that the heat produced by an air cooled VW engine will likely cause issues since the walls are thinner than they could be. Thick wall 1835's would be fine in a bus.

Why would the wall thickness of the cylinder cause the engine to run hotter? So many other factors involved.

To the OP, if you can have a documented and guaranteed build on a 1776, set up with your designated compression ratio and any other tricks you want, do it. If you want to guess at an 1835 with no documentation, for 600 bucks more, go ahead.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Laughing Jesus christ! Laughing

Little triggered are we? It was a question I was asking as well because I have heard it. Laughing

I also heard that 1835's are turds in a bus. Come to think of it I haven't many good things to say about an 1835 other than you are likely to find one in a burnt-out Baja in Mexico. Laughing

But thats just what I heard.

Sambo - my friend. Rich and cdennisg said that an 1835 is good to go. Cant beat that endorsement. Wink Rolling Eyes Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Or just build one yourself.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Or just build one yourself.

This is on the list as well. I'd like to build a quality 1641, clean and shiny.

And put like 100k miles into the damn thing.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 22

Jump to: