Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 Standard Beetle restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Modified my wiring cover to accept the hood vent rain tray so I could drive without having to worry about rain shorting out my fuse box lol. Fuel system is good and steady.cant hear or feel the pump when the cars running which is nice. Tossed in my rebuilt svda distributor with questionable points. Need to get a Bosch set on order. Running pretty good otherwise.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Made a clip to hold the excess seat belt material so it wasnt just flopping around. Took a piece of old scrap copper pipe(`6" long), flattened with planishing hammer, sanded, polished, bent and polished again. Turned out decent and works as intended.

dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Fixed up an old VW Bilstein jack I had lying around and made a mounting bracket for it. Handle was also made out of a hardened steering shaft from a go kart. I figured it wont bend like the mild steel round rod I had lying around. Works well and hangs out well in the trunk. I may revisit this whole setup in the future but its functional and I like it for the time being.

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

That looks really nice....HOWEVER....

i would be concerned that in a front-end collision that would go thru the dash or windshield and impale you.... Shocked

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gr0unded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

dubsteez79 wrote:
After 9 years, it is finally ready to come out and play. Sorrynotsorry for the massive photo dump but wanted to consolidate the build on here. I started a build thread years.................. Its first show will be at Farmington Dragway this weekend and im super excited.

I drive through Star on occasion going to Chapel Hill, normally in my air conditioned car. Cool

The Farmington show was very hot for May, more cars than I've seen in a long time. Of course I've been MIA of ACWV for 20 years, too.

Beetle looks very nice dubsteez79. Applause

Stop Dead Photo Links! Post your VW photos to the Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

How do you remove the jack?
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
That looks really nice....HOWEVER....

i would be concerned that in a front-end collision that would go thru the dash or windshield and impale you.... Shocked

Thanks and good point. I may make something else in the future to move it next to the spare tire or something but ill take my chances until then.

You remove it with 13mm and 7/16" wrenches. I want to make it "tool-less" in its next revision. This is just what I had to work with at the time i decided to work on this.
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Gr0unded wrote:
dubsteez79 wrote:
After 9 years, it is finally ready to come out and play. Sorrynotsorry for the massive photo dump but wanted to consolidate the build on here. I started a build thread years.................. Its first show will be at Farmington Dragway this weekend and im super excited.

I drive through Star on occasion going to Chapel Hill, normally in my air conditioned car. Cool

The Farmington show was very hot for May, more cars than I've seen in a long time. Of course I've been MIA of ACWV for 20 years, too.

Beetle looks very nice dubsteez79. Applause

Thanks! Yea i didnt make it to that show because of unforseen issues but im able to drive it pretty much anywhere now. If you ever see the bug, my mk1 GTI or old toyota wagon sitting out at McBride Custom Coatings in Star, stop in and chat!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

You really have a handle on that hammer finish paint. Nice restraint in knowing when to stop on the heavy coat. (Makes me want to strip my shroud and start over lol). Digging the copper bracelet for the seatbelts. Man, this build has some nice artistic touches.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
You really have a handle on that hammer finish paint. Nice restraint in knowing when to stop on the heavy coat. (Makes me want to strip my shroud and start over lol). Digging the copper bracelet for the seatbelts. Man, this build has some nice artistic touches.

Thanks! All the tins and fuel tank were powder coated with silver vein and clear powder. I believe its from Cardinal coatings. Powder coating makes it a bit easier to have a uniform pattern but you still have to know what the right amount looks like while youre spraying. The pan is coated in silver vein as well. You just dont see that until its up on the lift Razz
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Got first in my class at the 29th zooland aaca car show!

Gr0unded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

dubsteez79 wrote:
Got first in my class at the 29th zooland aaca car show!

Sweet! Cool

Stop Dead Photo Links! Post your VW photos to the Samba Gallery!
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Got my OE parcel tray finished and installed. Used 1" flat bar and two 1/4"-20 bolts/nuts with jam nuts to secure it in. One nut welded to the frame. I used a plastic plug on the end of the bolts to keep from damaging the carpet. Im pretty happy with the way it turned out, although I want to strip the paint off at some point and prep the plastic some more to fix a couple of flaws.

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Looks fantastic! How do you drill thru the carpet w/out it catching on the bit...?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Thanks! I forgot to put this pic in the previous post. Didnt drill through anything. The bolts literally just wedge it into the sides of the cabin and doesnt seem like it can fall down in the back(front of car). I modeled it after what I saw on the one other picture i found of an original frame. I just put that little cap on the ends so it didnt rip the carpet. Feels very sturdy.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: