Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cleaning heat risers
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning heat risers Reply with quote

Yep I drilled holes at the elbows, then used a masonry bit then the cable thing. The masonry bit did the best.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning heat risers Reply with quote

baldessariclan wrote:
Cusser wrote:
Muriatic acid is hydrochloric acid, not sulfuric acid.

Actual acid concentration and length of contact are also important considerations. Most use vinegar (5% acetic acid) or phosphoric acids (both are termed "weak acids") to clean off rust.

Cusser,

So do you think that any of the "commonly available" acids could attack / dissolve hard carbon deposits effectively? Just curious... And/or your opinion on using "oven cleaners" on that kind of stuff??

Acids, (muriatic i.e. pool acid, acetic i.e. vinegar, sulfuric i.e. battery acid) and caustic soda i.e. some types of oven cleaner, or other alkalis ,or most inorganic or organic solvents will not dissolve carbon. If it is indeed pure carbon.

Any cleaning you see in the heat risers are perhaps the gum and varnish being dissolved between the carbon, not the carbon itself. Using acid is probably removing the rust particles providing a "path" through the heat riser, but not affecting the carbon itself. Sometimes this provides a result for the clutch cable trick, but for stubborn blockages, it will not. You can see from one of the earlier photos (P2) the black carbon "floating" on the liquid that has just poured out of the heat riser. A sign that it is insoluble.

I've tried all of these, including acids, alakalis, acetone, MEK, WD40 over a period of weeks each and got no result. I had to cut mine open after long periods with the brake cable, but it finally was so far gone with rust, I had to get another one.

The only way is to react the carbon, most commonly by adding oxygen to the carbon, i.e. burning it with oxy acetylene. I haven't tried it, but videos of this are quite spectacular and not for the faint hearted or inexperienced.

"I can't spell kemist, but I are one".
bobinphx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning heat risers Reply with quote

My 69 mystery motor apparently had been run very rich. (jet were way off).when I got it. The heat risers were will plugged. I used a combination of things. First and initially effective was some cable. I used some from the hardware store that was a bit smaller than a clutch cable. after I got in a ways, I filled / soaked the risers in Marvels mystery oil. I feel that the oil penetrated the carbon and broke up some of its bond. Once I got a small path from one side to the other opened up, out came the acetylene torch. The torch got the path really opened up. Because of the oil and the carbon, I was able to turn off the oxygen and just run pure acetylene. lots of bits of flaming carbon came out. In the end I was able to easily blow through the heat risers. I will tell you that none of it was easy or fast. All told, took about 4 hours over a couple of days, and it was messy!
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning heat risers Reply with quote

Interesting that you turned the oxygen off. Acetylene (or any gas) doesn't burn on its own. It needs oxygen. It must have got some small amount of oxygen from the air. The reaction would have been more spectacular and quick if you had got it alight and then turned off the acetylene, leaving the oxygen to do the burning (oxidation).
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning heat risers Reply with quote

I'm back to the cable for cleaning the crud off the inside of the tube.

Braided steel cable and a wound drain auger have been inadequate.

Yesterday I got the bright idea of trying an oil dip stick. I bought a universal one, bent the end slightly, and ground the edge sharp, then cut off the handle and put it in my drill chuck.

I thought I was doing okay as the length of it seemed to be dropping into the hole as I spun it with the drill. What was actually happening, though, is that the end of it kept breaking off. So now I've got bits of dip stick down both sides of the heater tubes in addition to the impacted carbon.

I am now researching flexible extensions that I can screw an actual short drill bit into the end of. Heading to Harbor Freight tomorrow, as they seem to have the closest thing to what I am looking for.

Last edited by scottyrocks on Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning heat risers Reply with quote

Scottyrocks. Can’t remember, did you say you used a BFH on that already? Worked like a charm on mine. Followed by a cable. I appreciate your “Sticktoitiveness” I would have have pitched that in the bin by now. Get it!!

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
bobinphx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning heat risers Reply with quote

yep,, got that backwards.. turned off the acetylene, once the carbon was burning, thus only feeding oxygen.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning heat risers Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Scottyrocks. Can’t remember, did you say you used a BFH on that already? Worked like a charm on mine. Followed by a cable. I appreciate your “Sticktoitiveness” I would have have pitched that in the bin by now. Get it!!

If BFH is a big focking hammer, then yes, but I'm not sure exactly how hard to hit it before it breaks because one of them I have is cracked and I don't know how it got that way.

How hard can I hit it, if that is even explainable?
avw1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning heat risers Reply with quote

I had some spare manifolds. They were plugged and first I tried the cable - nope. Then brake cleaner soak - nope. Turned the bbq on medium high and left it for an hour. Tapped lightly with a small ball peen. BINGO! A rain of carbon chunks. Finished with a clutch cable and air hose. Worked.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning heat risers Reply with quote

Okay, great. I have a charcoal grill with a cover. I'll light it up and try it on a 2nd unit I have that is cracked. If it works on that one, I'll put the good one in there. Thanks!

I assume you hit it when it's hot?
avw1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning heat risers Reply with quote

I use the bbq tongs to remove and let it cool a little and use gloves to handle Just tap and the carbon will fall out. Blow air through to see if it is clear. Worked for me the first time. If yours doesn't clear, I guess, try again.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning heat risers Reply with quote

I had to drill mine
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning heat risers Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I had to drill mine

I did that, too, but there is still crud on the walls both before and after the elbow, enough that I can't get a spinning cable past the elbow, where I could get it past before I drilled the holes and pushed the long but as far in it would go.

I'm gonna use the barbecue grill next Saturday.
avw1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning heat risers Reply with quote

I can use the bbq for manifolds. But, no more engine cases and heads in the dishwasher - darn
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning heat risers Reply with quote

I finally got to a friend with an enclosed gas grill and baked my manifold for an hour.

After some wacking with a hammer, and drilling with a cable and 24" long, 1/4" drill bit, I can now get all the way through.

I am sure, however, there is some, let's call it 'arterial plaque' inside the tube, so now that it's somewhat clear, I think I will bake it again and bang it some more so that what carbon is left has someplace to go when it breaks off.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning heat risers Reply with quote

You deserve a round of applause for hanging with it not giving up. When that works you’ll have a better running engine.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning heat risers Reply with quote

I decided to not grill the manifold again. I finally found 4 consecutive hours today to get into the heat riser with a drill and cable.

Next, after cleaning it up and patching the elbows and paint, it will be ready for re-installation.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning heat risers Reply with quote

Brilliant!
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning heat risers Reply with quote

This is a very helpful thread. I did a lot of reading before tackling this job and I decided I would give the cable/drill method a try. I didn't have any clutch cables but I did have an old 1/4 inch drain snake which worked great, and although I had mine on hand, these only cost like $10 or so.

I was able to snake up to the straight section from both sides but all of the straight section was clogged. It took me about an hour including clean up and it was done. The 1/4" drain snake is perfect for this because being coiled makes it very flexible but the wire that it's made of is rugged and doesn't bend very easily. I bent the end into a spike which can be pointed at what ever angle needed. It worked better in the beginning to keep the end mostly straight until it broke through, and then angled it outwards to enlarge the hole.

Once I started, I made it through in about 15 minutes and then another 15 minutes to enlarge it.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning heat risers Reply with quote

That^ looks like a great idea.

My tubes were so caked and clogged that I had to drill in through the elbow to make any progress past the bend. The cable in the drill just wasn't cutting it (literally).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: