Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A-1 Muffler
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
henrym
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: A-1 Muffler Reply with quote

WOW

I spent some time doing a search and was surprised to find no feedback about Tiger and A-1 Muffler (unless I forgot how to search!).

After experiencing the trials and tribulations with a substandard B_____k ceramic merged header for my 2110, I finally realized it would never, ever fit and unceremoniously consigned the devil to the dumpster. I then cried over my wasted money, got over it, and went and ordered an A-1---like I should of done in the first place. These people aren't big on web advertising so you have to do it the old fashion way and get them on the phone. The entire purchase process was as casual as ordering a pizza. It almost worried me.

It cost a few bucks. It took a few weeks. It was well worth it. A thing of beauty. 1 5/8 ceramic header with full stainless steel muffler. Extremely well built and it fit my super-wide engine just like Tiger promised it would. After using some new dirty words and busted knuckles on that cursed B_____k system, this A-1 went on so easy I almost cried. I had actually planned an entire day (and three valium) to fit it, but it was on and finished by lunch.

Tips: you'll probably need to sand the pipes on the j-tubes to get them to fit proper. Sand a little, test, sand some more, etc. Take your time---you aren't missing anything. I took Glenn’s advice and used copper silicone on the slip joints. Also I use the special 3/8 head clearance exhaust nuts (Bergs and John and Aircooled both sell them). Make sure to get those. Also don't forget to lay an old beach towel or blanket down under the car as you will raising and lowering the headers a few times to fit them and you don't want to scratch that pretty ceramic!
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you had a positive experience...

I ordered a ceramic-coated 1 5/8 system from Tiger (A-1) complete with modded 1 5/8 heater boxes (which were really expensive...but I had the money at the time, so I went for it).

Anyway, the fit wasn't right to begin with, the muffler rubbed the passenger tire badly...not a little.

I sent him multiple e-mails explaining the problem, after a couple of weeks, I got an irritated response that it wasn't built "incorrectly", but he'd modify the system if I paid shipping both ways...and, of course, i'd have to pay to have it re-coated! lol

Keep in mind, my engine is an 82 stroke 5.4 rod engine...it isn't wide by any stretch...I, of course explained that early in the correspondense, I'm not stupid, but...oh well...

The latest find is, while I was adjusting my valves, I bumped the passenger side heater box and it rotated sideways an inch or so!

So...I paid a local muffler shop to mod the muffler to fit, and now I'll do the same to have the heaterbox welded to the exhaust tube like it should have been done to begin with...especially for the money I paid for these boxes.

...just my experience, of course.
Russ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i pretty much bet any high dollar car is running one of his systems.
i had a slight problem with my s/s muffler rubbing an e-brake cable.
after a quick call and pics sent i paid to have the muffler shipped back.

he modified it and repolished it then shipped it right back.

sorry to hear you had a problem,i have met him and he really was a nice guy and took care of the issue i had.

i am a little surprised he was not a little easier to deal with

russ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hoghead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an A-1 sidewinder from one of his Dealers and had a fit problem with my stroked engine. One email to Tiger and he immediately acknowledged that this can occur on a wider engine, and he made me a J-tube with a swivel flange at no charge.

The Dealer, V-Dub, shipped it to me at no charge as well.

A great product, and you could not ask for better service.
Rustforlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really happy with the exhaust and love the sound. Unfortunately my neighbors car alarms don't-lol. If I had to do it over again I would have had Tiger install a doughnut clamp set-up instead of the traditional 3-bolt flange. I'm not happy with the quality of the heater boxes, for the extra $260 they should at least do a good job. Next time I will just get flanges welded on stockers.
arod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have an older model A-1 exhaust on my westy with the exhaust dump straight down. ok for short drives but on long roadtrips it was deafening. i drove my westy out to Cali for the Classic weekend this year with my buddy, who had his custom exhaust made by Tiger @ A-1. my buddy had made plans and an appointment with Tiger to finish and install the custom made exhaust on his dc @ A-1 once we arrived in Cali. Tiger is a super cool and stand-up guy! Clean and impressive shop and showroom. shop tour was also a plus for us out of towners. My buddies exhaust came out so bad-ass that i asked Tiger if there was a way to quiet down my muffler, to which he replied yes. the muffler and exhaust on my bus is one of the earliest designs. he explained i could change out the muffler to one that was much quieter while also having the exhaust pipe exit under the bumper. i made an appointment and dropped of my bus before we left for the 3000 mile drive back Miami again. my wife and girls had flown into Cali for our vacation return trip home to Miami. instead of having us wait in the waiting room for 3 hours, Tiger took us in his personal truck to a local breakfast spot close by so we could have breakfast. NOW that was cool!! we walked back to his shop checking out MAIN ST and it was done! TIGER, my family and i thank you for your superb customer service and quality product you provide the to our hobby. we can actually talk to each other inside while driving!!!

Alex Rodriguez
1966 Westy SO42
Miami, FL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buickman_86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my A1 exhaust last night and got it on have to say it is truely worth the extra and the time. I am a bit of an impatient person when it comes to working on my bug and waiting on parts to get to me. But the wait was well worth it. Fit good had a minor problem with one of the J pipes not wanting to fit but i was able to get it on with a bit of convincing. Sounds awsome and love the look. IF and when i need a new exhaust for my vw i will go back. Twisted Evil
littlebuggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have his direct shop phone number? I have one on my square, awesome system, just want to talk some other options.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have dealt with him multiple times, always problems. The first time was in 2001, he built me a header to fit with all tins and thermostat. It took weeks longer than he said and it didnt fit. I had to take the thermostat off and cut the sled tins. Figured I had to live with it or pay more money to fix his mistake. Im not one to hold a grudge or blame so I figured I'd use him again for a muffler for my brothers car. I dropped money off on a friday, said mid week should be done. Gave him all week and called him the next wednesday. He said it was getting polished and shoul be back by friday. Called friday and he said it wasnt back be there monday. Called him following friday and he said he was finishing the welding and wouldnt finish till monday. I didnt ask why he said it was getting polished if he is still welding 3 weeks later. I am redoing my heads now and want to get a header that fits right but am reluctant.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: A-1 Muffler Reply with quote

Ok here’s my experience with A-1.
Purchased stainless header and muffler with v-bands from aircooled.net for $1,000 in March of this year and waited 3 months to receive the product.
Product was drop shipped from A-1 and wrapped in brown paper. No bubble wrap, no peanuts....just brown paper.
As a result the exhaust was scratched up.
Upon closer inspection I wasn’t very happy with the welds on many of the header tubes. Header tubes were not welded inline with each other and slightly offset as well. Burn through was seen around the insides of the tube mating flanges and O2 sensor fitting. I emailed aircooled.net the next day with all pictures of the problems.
Here is my problem:
Being that I purchased it from aircooled.net I have been dealing with them because they are the seller of the product and they have been very sympathetic. I received an email back stating that it might take another 3 months to receive a replacement header/exhaust. I have to wait another 3 months because I am not satisfied with my purchase??? I would “think” I would be offered a replacement as soon as possible. Guess not.
So it’s now 8/19 and I just got an email from aircooled.net stating that they could refund my money back. I want my header/exhaust and not my money back.
I think one problem was that the header/exhaust was drop shipped from A-1 not allowing aircooled.net to see the quality of product they are selling to their customers.
I’ll let pictures speak for themselves and you can make your own determinations. Am I asking too much for $1,000? I’m sure there are more expensive products out there but there are certainly less expensive products as well.
Let this be a caution to future buyers as this is my first and only purchase from A-1. I personally feel he is overwhelmed and possibly rushing through the work and the quality might be suffering a bit. I made my purchase based on others comments on his work and was quite excited to dig into my box once it finally arrived.
Anyway, here are pictures I took of it the day it arrived:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: A-1 Muffler Reply with quote

To get your terminology correct, “burn through” is when you are welding and the heat creates a hole in the part. What you photographed is simply the penetration of the weld, which looks pretty decent.

Hard to see in a photo, but this weld looks like there may be a gap in-between where the weld started and stopped, that may give you a leak.

The scratches could be polished out if they bother you.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: A-1 Muffler Reply with quote

Just a follow up. Wednesday I received an email from aircooled.net stating Tiger couldn’t do better work based on the $125/hr labor rate he charged me. If I wanted a “higher end and better job” I would have to pay more.
What’s the going price on a header these days??? I think Tiger’s are the more expensive ones and paid extra for quality work-not one from China.

And as to the comment above saying “if I’m not happy with the scratches just polish them out”
Are you serious???? I shouldn’t have to polish anything!!
I received the box drop shipped from A-1 with brown paper as packing material. I’m just stating MY purchase from A-1.
Poor workmanship, poor packaging, and above all poor customer service.

Screw it. After waiting another 3 months I’ll keep the thing at this point but for those considering purchasing from A-1 check out the pictures and see what you might be getting.
I feel he may not be doing the work himself anymore. Maybe he has someone else doing the welding at this point because I’ve seen his work in the past and it was very good which lead me to purchase from him in the first place.

I apologize for being such a “picky customer”
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: A-1 Muffler Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:

And as to the comment above saying “if I’m not happy with the scratches just polish them out”
Are you serious???? I shouldn’t have to polish anything!!

I said those scratches could be polished out if they bothered you.

I apologize for trying to give you helpful suggestions. Good luck with your project and I hope you receive some satisfaction from the vendor you are upset with.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: A-1 Muffler Reply with quote

My apologies myself. I’m a little on edge right now. I appreciate the suggestion but shouldn’t have to polish them out.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: A-1 Muffler Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:
Just a follow up. Wednesday I received an email from aircooled.net stating Tiger couldn’t do better work based on the $125/hr labor rate he charged me. If I wanted a “higher end and better job” I would have to pay more.

So they only do good work when they are paid enough?
That is insane.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: A-1 Muffler Reply with quote

Are we able to post up actual emails that transpire? I’m sure with local individuals he is ok to deal with. Face to face is easier to get your point across. If you are dealing with someone THROUGH someone it softens the blows.
He’s made PLENTY of headers and I’m sure he has templates available of what lengths of tubing to cut for each design already. The assembly (welding) would take the most time I would think.
There is a 3 month wait on his work. 3 months.
So I send my header back and wait another 3 months for a replacement Sad
If I owned a shop (much easier said than done I know):
If a customer was not satisfied with the product I made I would immediately put him/her near the top of my list to get it R&R’ed and make sure that customer was satisfied. I then would take note on where I needed quality control on it and follow up with a better product in the future.
It’s the never ending pursuit of perfection that we strive for. The collector was the type of welds that make people drool. That is kinda what I expected throughout the rest of the header.
Here is what gets me excited:

It’s something I could never do and takes skill. It’s beautiful.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: A-1 Muffler Reply with quote

Yes it is ok to post the content of emails if the purpose is to back up what you posted with the facts of what was sent back and forth.
It's best not to remove or edit anything (obviously) so that there is no confusion and so nothing bites you if it is revealed you left something out.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: