Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

spline repair: JB Weld + carborundum
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: spline repair: JB Weld + carborundum Reply with quote

this might be useful to some... needed to fix the splines on a Polaris Ranger driveshaft that had stripped out completely due to rust, you could turn the driveshaft without resistance when it was mated to the output shaft of the differential. so really stripped.

the driveshaft and differential shaft were both spendy and difficult to locate so i tried a no-cost fix that is no harm done if it doesn't last, if the fix strips out again, i'll pull it apart and replace both the output shaft and driveshaft.

onto the fix... i wanted to create interference between what little was left of the splines on each part to 'lock up' the two. carborundum is 9 hardness on the MOHS scale, diamond being 10 so i thought that would make a good filler. mixed up enough carborundum i had on hand with JB Weld to make a slurry that resembled concrete. wetted both output shaft and driveshaft and then mated them together. the grit filled the stripped splines enough to lock the shaft and the JB Weld might hold it all in place for a while. it should be noted that these splines are for a NON sliding solid axle driveshaft.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

after curing, took it for a test drive and it is holding so far. next time, i'd use 3M DP-460 epoxy and carborundum as it is about 4x stronger than JB Weld but i didn't want to wait for a delivery of it. also, Loctite 660 is getting very good reviews for spline repair
https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/en/product/retaining-compounds/loctite_660.html

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: spline repair: JB Weld + carborundum Reply with quote

Brilliant! Do you think this will fix a worn rear drive spline on an ‘77 R100? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: spline repair: JB Weld + carborundum Reply with quote

Interesting fix but I doubt it will deliver long term service.

There is simply too much torque on a drive shaft for a glue product to last very long.

It is fascinating what people have lying around, a jar of sandpaper 80 grit?!?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: spline repair: JB Weld + carborundum Reply with quote

Sounds like a little hometown history to me: https://www.lcnewschronicle.com/lifestyle/2682923-flashback-friday-3m-birthplace-th-recorded-plaque

(FYI: Minnesota Mining & Manufacturing, a small startup now doing business as "3M")...

Shocked Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: spline repair: JB Weld + carborundum Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Brilliant! Do you think this will fix a worn rear drive spline on an ‘77 R100? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

since you need to be able to get the rear tire off the drive splines, i'd try it with the 3M DP460 but use Saran Wrap or aluminum foil on one side so it doesn't bond the wheel to the hub. but having the hub rebuilt is way better!

www.thefixitworkshop.com
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: spline repair: JB Weld + carborundum Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Interesting fix but I doubt it will deliver long term service.

There is simply too much torque on a drive shaft for a glue product to last very long.

It is fascinating what people have lying around, a jar of sandpaper 80 grit?!?

Dave

this is a total experiment. i'm going to start looking for deals on the replacement parts while the clock ticks. but with the grit in there, even WHEN the JB Weld cracks, it still contributes to the interference fit. had a long argument with a friend over beers about doing this... he wanted me to try it as all that would be lost was time and a porketta we cooked in the garage, i wanted to spend the $400 for parts and fix it for good. the beer won. he promised he'd come back to help put the right parts in provided there was more beer and porketta.

yeah, that jar of carborundum looks like it is from the 1950s. could never throw it out.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: spline repair: JB Weld + carborundum Reply with quote

I like it!

So many people will tell you that it will not work, but will not try. I look forward for the results of this butchery. Is there a pool on how long it will last?
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: spline repair: JB Weld + carborundum Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
this is a total experiment. had a long argument with a friend over beers about doing this... he wanted me to try it as all that would be lost was time and a porketta we cooked in the garage ...

We shall never know how many great historical discoveries of science and technology were born thusly ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: spline repair: JB Weld + carborundum Reply with quote

well... splines are still holding! the experiment continues. We now return you to your regular programming.

www.thefixitworkshop.com

Last edited by DanHoug on Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: spline repair: JB Weld + carborundum Reply with quote

Hey, that's a great experiment. I've done a few less outlandish things with JB Weld and it's kinda fun to play with modern epoxies and physics to see what's possible. I carry it on remote trips and would not hesitate to use it in a component failure to get home, etc.

Well done. Once you have the new part(s), you should subject it to normal operating torque and see what it takes to fail it, providing you don't put other components at risk. Bravo!
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: spline repair: JB Weld + carborundum Reply with quote

well, the experiment is over! axle splines finally spun out as i was bringing a load of campfire wood up some steep steps with the Ranger. yes, it goes up steps just fine and yes, it is a good torque load on all parts as the tire climbs the vertical face of the step.

so. i'd say the JB Weld plus carborundum is a good temporary repair but for the long haul, you need new steel. onward!

www.thefixitworkshop.com
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: spline repair: JB Weld + carborundum Reply with quote

April to August isn’t a temporary repair , you just need more JB weld.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: spline repair: JB Weld + carborundum Reply with quote

I know, I was the skeptic.

I thought it wouldn't hold and it turns out I was right..... admittedly it lasted far longer than I thought it would.

I dislike glue, adhesives, epoxies........ why?
My Grandfather.

He was born in the 1800's and watched technology explode and blossom as a young man.
He drove an electric car in 1919, worked for Thomas Edison who sent him to England to introduce the talking movie to the King, wired the Holland Tunnel in NYC, etc

In the 1950's and 60's he was enamoured with plastic ........ and glue.
He had the glue pot with the brush, he purchased any new tube of magic goo that hit the market and he glued EVERYTHING!!!!

Most of it failed if it ever held at all. Brown gobs oozing out of "repaired" products.
I determined as a child that I absolutely hated glue.
And I still do today. Most of it fails to work or fails to bond shortly after application, nothing has changed.

Any chemical goo just doesn't excite me. Yes, I have a drawer full of various goos, I try them and am almost always disappointed. (Except for wood glues)

Any concoction will fail, it's been proven to me.

Anyway....
Great experiment you did but sadly with the expected results!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: spline repair: JB Weld + carborundum Reply with quote

Next time we hit the woods We can glue together, too.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: spline repair: JB Weld + carborundum Reply with quote

Don't forget leather. You can bond that stuff so well it'll never come apart. Good porosity on both materials.
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: spline repair: JB Weld + carborundum Reply with quote

It sounds a good bush repair.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: spline repair: JB Weld + carborundum Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Hell, April to August is longer that an EMPI axle assembly will last.
Some people call him Maurice...
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: spline repair: JB Weld + carborundum Reply with quote

ledogboy wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Hell, April to August is longer that an EMPI axle assembly will last.

Twice as long as any URO rubber part that’s sees oil
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: spline repair: JB Weld + carborundum Reply with quote

new steel ordered for $412. differential output shaft and a drive shaft. labor cost is beer + porketta for the garage oven.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
drip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: spline repair: JB Weld + carborundum Reply with quote

This time drill and tap for a grease fitting...no more rust 😏
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: