Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I would like to thank my bug's PO for...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to thank my 63's PO for welding angle iron onto the seat rails so he could bolt in hideous aftermarket seats from some unknown donor car.
Seats:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Angle iron:

The welds:

Before and after cutting them off:

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got two major P/O disasters, but first I would like to thank the P/O of my 59 Rag for disposing of all 4 fenders, 4 tab hood, and decklid, and then cutting it up into a baja and throwing away the ragtop mechanism.

I would like to sincerely thank my grandfather for holding on to the 67 that I now own, but was putting astroturf really necessary as a replacement carpet choice?

Bret
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle( august 66, first car)
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Just another 22 year old jackass who caught the bug, and lives by the motto " NO fatchicks allowed" , I've got too many cars as is (buses N/A)
Karmannut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks PO for gouging out the serial number on the block so I have no idea what it is and for using what looks like a chisel to cut a hole in the dash for a generic starter switch when you broke the key off in the very cool locking steering column switch and for using same chisel on the right front 1/4 panel for antenna bought at same cheapo store as the ignition switch and way to many wiring issues to even begin to mention. On the other hand also thanks for keeping out the Ohio salt keeping the body and pan very solid!
Air and Water do mix!
codycat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to thank my original owner, honestly, for keeping my 67 unmolested and stock. I would like to thank the second owner for NOT chopping the top and turning my sedan into a convertible Shocked

when I bought it from him it had the pencil lines already drawn as to where he planned to cut it off - needless to say I am pleased I got it before he destroyed my 67
Dr. Seuss
Hokie87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to thank the PO of my 67 for installing 68 1/2 + spindles and Pitman arm so my new tie rods don't fit. For the 63 grafted in sun roof (I actually like this one) and for the 1600 DP engine (I like this one too), but buying parts is a crap shoot.

thevinster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: I would like to thank my bug's PO for... Reply with quote

Back in the mid 80s a bought a 63 bug. I looked at the front quarter panel very closely after buying it and realized there was some bondo. Since i was gonna repaint the car anyways i figured I'd see how much there was so i stripped the paint off the area. I swear the must've been 6 inches of bondo with chicken wire in it to support it! They could've SO EASILY kicked the panel out from the inside and it would've been fine. So thanks whatever knuckleheads idea that was
yammi450
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: I would like to thank my bug's PO for... Reply with quote

Thanks PO, for fixing the rusted sheet metal under the back seat,rear body mount, front heater channel, and front fender wells with fiberglass that is slopped on. Also tack welding the running board mount metal over the rusted original, and welding replacement rear clip at the wrong angle so now the deck lid doesn't fit properly when closed and engine is a major PIA to remove and install.
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: I would like to thank my bug's PO for... Reply with quote

I'd like to thank my PO's for swapping out my original 36 hp for a later 36 (not that big a deal, my car is only a '59 and not a split or oval) however throwing away the original 28pci carb and replacing it with a crappy empi reproduction that doesn't fit right and runs terrible and has the wrong vacuum signal was a big no-no! Also was it really nessecary to toss the ignition wire tube?! (part of what makes a 36 hp so cool!)

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: I would like to thank my bug's PO for... Reply with quote

the prior owners body shop is damned for reinstalling a pitted and scratched windshield after a full glass out repaint, for installing two left hand head lights, and for not properly installing the window scrapers while leaving off the vapor barrier in the doors, and filling up the door drain holes with bondo, turning my floor pans into a lake. lots of love too for pulling out the motor without removing the heater cables, hell just keep pulling till the heater box arms and their pivot point is ripped off, F you you crappy body shop! ps real nice to leave off the front tin peice to after the engine is installed, at least the sob shoved it back in, oh and no engine tin seal installed .

really nice how they screw over a customer, a dear 90 year old lady. ice way to f up an all orignal 70K mile garage kept car, and they call themselves a professional restoration shop, hacks is more like it.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: I would like to thank my bug's PO for... Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
the prior owners body shop is damned for reinstalling a pitted and scratched windshield after a full glass out repaint, for installing two left hand head lights, and for not properly installing the window scrapers while leaving off the vapor barrier in the doors, and filling up the door drain holes with bondo, turning my floor pans into a lake. lots of love too for pulling out the motor without removing the heater cables, hell just keep pulling till the heater box arms and their pivot point is ripped off, F you you crappy body shop! ps real nice to leave off the front tin peice to after the engine is installed, at least the sob shoved it back in, oh and no engine tin seal installed .

really nice how they screw over a customer, a dear 90 year old lady. ice way to f up an all orignal 70K mile garage kept car, and they call themselves a professional restoration shop, hacks is more like it.

Feel like naming them in the feedback thread?
Faustling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: I would like to thank my bug's PO for... Reply with quote

For not driving it more than he did. He had someone redo the front end to drop it and add disc brakes. Well, the steering rods weren't tightened down. When I got it home after towing it 330 miles, I found the steering rod laying on the trailer. Shocked She wouldn't be in my garage today, and possibly there could have been a terrible accident had it been driven a little more.
I can't imagine how bad of an accident was avoided.

[/img]
Faustling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: I would like to thank my bug's PO for... Reply with quote

To whoever replaced body panels for not putting on period correct pieces. No holes for over-rider bumpers. Wrong front fenders so no horn holes. I don't get that part. I never caught it while looking it over. Too much of a noob.

For not greasing the king pins after installing drop spindles. Now they are probably trashed. Seriously, you couldn't grease any of it??? The steering is so tight I'm afraid something is going to break.

For what appears painting the seats. The black is wearing off and red is showing. smh.

While I'm bummed about it, so far the rest seems to be pretty solid and little things need to be done here and there. I mean it IS almost 52 yrs old.
Ruger59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: I would like to thank my bug's PO for... Reply with quote

I'd like to thank the previous owners of my 59 bug for cutting the brake line going to the rear than driving it only on front brakes. Needless to say the entire front braking system was garbage. Also modifying a 1600cc exhaust to fit on a 36hp. However I do thank them for keeping the vehicle all original matching body, engine, fenders even the speedometer is og.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: I would like to thank my bug's PO for... Reply with quote

I'd like to thank the previous owners of my '67 for putting half an inch of bondo, fiberglass, and undercoating over these rust holes.

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Rathguten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: I would like to thank my bug's PO for... Reply with quote

... welding the body to the frame at the napoleons hat and then covering it with seam sealer, bondo, flex-seal, and undercoating. Unbelievable.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: I would like to thank my bug's PO for... Reply with quote

Rathguten wrote:
... welding the body to the frame at the napoleons hat and then covering it with seam sealer, bondo, flex-seal, and undercoating. Unbelievable.

That one there is a front runner for the most bonehead move of all time
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: I would like to thank my bug's PO for... Reply with quote

jwp67 wrote:
Rathguten wrote:

That one there is a front runner for the most bonehead move of all time

Hey, At least it cured that nasty water intrusion problem into the interior.
What a major F@ck up.
Good Luck with that jwp67. Jeez!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: I would like to thank my bug's PO for... Reply with quote

Bringing this thread back from the dead...

I would first honesty like to thank the PO for saving me the car for a week when he had people offer him 100 more than the $750 he was asking. I’d like to thank him for leaving parked for yoears on a PAVED driveway. Having no clue the engine and transmission were rebuilt 2,000 miles ago. I’d like to thank the PO PO’s for rebuilding the engine and transmission, recovering the seats with TMI original look vinyl and not destroying the wiring. Now I’d like to thank them for cover all of the rust hole and accident damage with bondo and aluminum tape, fiberglassing over the rusted out Heater channels and floor pans, never cleaning the sunroof drain channels so they could clog and rust out part of the roof, for never undercoating in and driving in Michigan, getting rid of the rear one year only interior panel, not fixing the ripped out fender nuts on the left side and attaching the fender with a random assortment of fasteners and bondoing over the damage for it to rust there, and for losing the title to the car, along with the keys. Also for cutting and bending down the radio opening so I didn’t have to weld in a new piece and just had to bend it up, and for installing a key switch and button on the opening to start the car and for cutting a hole in the dash to put in a toggle switch to turn the light on and off for the fuel gauge?!?!? But I’m still happy I bought the car and have learned a lot.
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
leowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: I would like to thank my bug's PO for... Reply with quote

I'd like to thank my PO for converting and otherwise complete Oval into a Frankenwagen, swapping the Oval's body for a late 60's-ish Brazilian big window...

I also thank him for at least having the swap done by a VW dealer and keeping the invoice for the cars history documentation....
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: I would like to thank my bug's PO for... Reply with quote

I thank my 62's most recent PO for leaving the car the hell alone.
The guy before that, I applaud your efforts, and you did a few good things.
But please, tape stuff off before you paint another vintage car.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: