Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Guarantee Tag
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonkaJim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Engine Guarantee Tag Reply with quote

Anyone know who puts these "guarantee" tags on their engines? It's just to the left of the oil pump. I'm trying to find out the builder of my recent purchase...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Guarantee Tag Reply with quote

These are VERY common and will tell the builder that you overheated the engine.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Guarantee Tag Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
so do the tags change shape or color?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Guarantee Tag Reply with quote

The center melts.

https://www.commercialforms.com/heat-tabs-3-hole-engine-style.html

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Guarantee Tag Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
These are VERY common

I have been around VW's over 40 years and this is the very first time I have ever seen these.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
tommiebsmith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Guarantee Tag Reply with quote

I see this often based on where the engine comes from.. as they are a few builders/businesses in the Dallas area who use these..
TonkaJim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Guarantee Tag Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Do you know if JCS uses them?

Thx!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Guarantee Tag Reply with quote

Those tags are usually seen on water cooled stuff, but they've been around for more than 40 years. IIRC the center melts somewhere around 250F. We've argued the validity of them on ACVWs as they can hit 250 without being a problem.
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Guarantee Tag Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Glenn wrote:
These are VERY common

I have been around VW's over 40 years and this is the very first time I have ever seen these.

I've seen them on rebuilt engines from assembly line rebuilders.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Guarantee Tag Reply with quote

Called a "heat tab"
About 50cents, and they all say that.
"warranty void" thing sounds threatening, but it doesn't mean there is or isn't a warranty.
more like it just gives a clue about the problem.... when the customer brings it back for the third time blown up. that guy is out there and you will meet him eventually.
might be worth 50cents or it might not.
If you are the anarchist type..... just put it in the glove box, and glue it back on with grey silicone after the engine is blown up. Wink
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Guarantee Tag Reply with quote

Sounds like a great way to deny a warranty under any circumstances that happened to melt it
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Guarantee Tag Reply with quote

GEX used to use these.. may still use em?

Pull the shroud off and look for stamp markings on top of the case..
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Guarantee Tag Reply with quote

You can get them in a wide range of melt points. Its just an indium alloy button....bery similar to a fusible link used in sprinkler heads and fire door props.

Ray
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Guarantee Tag Reply with quote

very common. part of the "cover thine own ass" attitude so prevalent today. A few years back I was speaking with a service rep at Mercedes Benz about what a pain in the ass the front ground effects air deflectors were to take off just to do an oil change. He said the technicians don't take all that off. They suck the oil out topside. After that revelation, I bought me a Mityvac oil sucker. Probably one of the best tools for the money I ever bought. Those MB people didn't want to stand accused of not torquing someone's drain plug. And the subsequent law suit.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Guarantee Tag Reply with quote

My local hero has put one of those on all of his rebuilds for like 35 years now.

He stands behind a warranty,
Unless some lazyass overheats the motor.

Pretty simple really,
And a great way to make sure that some dummy who fried their shit doesn't try to make a warranty claim they don't deserve.

I'm going to put a couple on my next motor as sort of a 'belt and suspenders' approach to keeping track of how hot the thing runs.

Anyone who has worked around these things knows all too well how many will treat their rebuild. Especially bus people.
It will go in with multiple intake air leaks, a lean carb, too much spark advance, half the tin missing, no gauges and a clogged oil cooler.
They will leave the break-in oil in it, never touching the valves, loaded to the gills with four friends and all of their camping gear.
From that point, they leave their foot flat on the floor, in the left lane at 75 all the way to Truckee.

Then come back for a warranty motor at builder's expense...

CYA, man.

Tell me about the better way you keep track of how your customers treat their rebuild.

What’s That Noise?!?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Guarantee Tag Reply with quote

TonkaJim wrote:
Anyone know who puts these "guarantee" tags on their engines? It's just to the left of the oil pump. I'm trying to find out the builder of my recent purchase...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks!

Is this directly to the left of the oil pump?

I think it is but I want to point my IR thermometer there to see what it measures next time I do a long highway run.

I know I've seen my case be around 230F in the max summer heat here in AZ above the lower pulley but I've never checked that exact area
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Guarantee Tag Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Sounds like a great way to deny a warranty under any circumstances that happened to melt it

This is exactly what it does - deny you a rebuild on a shoddy work.

Lots of GEX engines had them.

You normally see these tabs on watercooled heads that have been rebuilt by a shop.

Aircooled engines may be able to use them if higher heat temp range than watercooled.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Guarantee Tag Reply with quote

yeah but they all say that. I would leave them blank personally, or just say melts at 250F or whatever.
You put any word or number on a part and people think it means something, it's a heat tab. What's it mean? it means it's a heat tab.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Guarantee Tag Reply with quote

the ones GEX used to use were just round...if you rotate that one 90 degrees it's the shape of a V8....red silicone on the pump gaskets and no sealing nuts isnt a particularlly good sign
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Guarantee Tag Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:
Glenn wrote:
These are VERY common

I've seen them on rebuilt engines from assembly line rebuilders.

I've seen quite a few of them through the years..

Not a bad idea for those who sell long blocks to the novice who says, " i know how to assemble the rest"..

I've had a lot of DIY's bring engines in with missing cooling tins, timing set way off, low dirty oil, loose leaky intakes, loose leaky exhaust...

I had one customer that only had a fan shroud and NO OTHER tins Shocked in his beetle commuting from delaware to baltimore..
Brought it in saying it would run about 1/2 hr, quit, and start again after it sat around an hr or so.

Image my thoughts when I opened his decklid

There's simply not enough made off building / selling a long block at a competitive price to warrant the mistakes of the DIY's that "wants" to complete the build.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: