Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What a cool aircooled engine!
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: What a cool aircooled engine! Reply with quote

Tatra 603 F V8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao5OF7EXDcw

Out of one of these....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatra_603

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: What a cool aircooled engine! Reply with quote

I was sure this guy was going to break his arm starting this thing

Link

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: What a cool aircooled engine! Reply with quote

Ive seen a few of those...in the lane mustseem in nashville tennasea. (posiably the best car musiem Ive ever seen!!)
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: What a cool aircooled engine! Reply with quote

I would be happier if those cooling fans were working! Shocked

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What a cool aircooled engine! Reply with quote

finster wrote:
I would be happier if those cooling fans were working! Shocked

I believe they are working. If I am not mistaken.....the fins you see are just the inlets. Notice the pulleys go through the center of each one. I think the fans are on the inside of those louvers.

If you look around online....there are pictures of fan units looking straight on. The outer grill louvers are a casting that holds a bearing that the pulley shaft goes through to conne t to the fan inside. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What a cool aircooled engine! Reply with quote

There’s a nice video of R985 on a Baja bug at YouTube the big radials always get my attention. Jay Leno the man with too many toys runs a Merlin. Very Happy
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What a cool aircooled engine! Reply with quote

Loose fan belt on the starboard side. Neat to see the valves working. I was wondering if they could actually run with out valve covers just about the time he went around to clean up the oil spray from having no valve covers.

Would love to hear that run with a nice exhaust system.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What a cool aircooled engine! Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Loose fan belt on the starboard side. Neat to see the valves working. I was wondering if they could actually run with out valve covers just about the time he went around to clean up the oil spray from having no valve covers.

Tatra did not do slouchy work. They were very innovative. The Tatra air cooled T 97 econo car was actually suppressed by the Nazi's because it would have been competition for the KDF.

The T 97....look familiar? Wink
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatra_97

....of course...its the great debate....Ledwinka (Tatra) or Porsche (VW)
Ray
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What a cool aircooled engine! Reply with quote

Needs more cylinders Razz

Link

Or do more with less thanks to turbocompounding Wink

Link

That Tatra is really cool ray, I looked over one of their early cars closely a few years ago, very impressive engineering for the time! Cool

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What a cool aircooled engine! Reply with quote

And...many people do not know that most of the WW-2 Sherman tanks.....used a radial aircraft engine...the Continental R-975-C4 radial engine (9 cylinders).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkHXoZyiJFs

And here is freshly rebuilt one running on the stand and about to go into a restoration tank...talk about SMOOTH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIJPzCOQZKM

Ray
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: What a cool aircooled engine! Reply with quote

I didn't realize how large those Tatra engines were. I always (foolishly) thought they would be neat in the back of a kit.. like a Laser 917 (I know.. I know..).. but those twin air intakes would be killer facing backwards.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What a cool aircooled engine! Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Tatra did not do slouchy work. They were very innovative. The Tatra air cooled T 97 econo car was actually suppressed by the Nazi's because it would have been competition for the KDF.

the land museem has a different story. the cars had a issue, and when the german officers piled in and tried to go across the country side many were killed as the cars drive differently and the suspension wasent quite worked out right. they tend to filp eazly witch took out quite a few officers and they were band by hittler. they are quite nice to look at.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What a cool aircooled engine! Reply with quote

I know a guy that makes valve guides for old engines, Merlins, Allisons, even Daimler Benz. He does it in his garage, does lots of business with the war bird and Reno Air Race people. They are big guides.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: What a cool aircooled engine! Reply with quote

Tatra V8 in a bug Shocked
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/795411.jpg
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: What a cool aircooled engine! Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
Tatra V8 in a bug Shocked
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/795411.jpg

i have seen a Bug motor in a Tatra.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: