Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Geri's bus goes 2.5
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Geri's bus goes 2.5 Reply with quote

HEY NOW, you might as well cross off lower SW Connecticut too. Laughing

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
we will make arrangements to have it transported back to him in PA. like he said....i'll drive anywhere, just not thru NY. I can't blame him one bit. you don't drive in NY....you point in a general direction and go

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geristauffer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Geri's bus goes 2.5 Reply with quote

First time I saw rubber floor mats hanging off both sides a car was somewhere north on I95. I had no idea what they were there for until merging for the GW bridge in NYC. All of a sudden, they made sense and at the same time I knew I would never be driving the bus through there.

Also, the bus has been out of state inspection for over 2 years now. I don’t need the hassle there either.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Geri's bus goes 2.5 Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
HEY NOW, you might as well cross off lower SW Connecticut too. Laughing

100% agree

I was going to do more highway driving this weekend, but I95 in my area was litter with dead asshole motorcyclists....someone shared dash cam of these guys bobbing and weaving and one of them went splat.

I don't need that aggravation especially in a clients bus. so, I kept it to the local roads which are littered by Massholes and NY idiots going to the beach.

summer traffic here is insane. never use to be that way either. buried a friend a few years ago the got cleaned up checking his mail...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Geri's bus goes 2.5 Reply with quote

Massholes and Nydiots.

Classic. We don’t get too many Connectic****(redacted) here

Geri...if you time it y0uncan cruise over the new Pete Seeger bridge, pick up I84 to Allentown. Skip the city

You can talk me into picking you up,fromAmtrak am driving you to skills....I don’t have the Altlantic peckerhead on my life bird list yet...
geristauffer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Geri's bus goes 2.5 Reply with quote

So, they renamed the Tappan Zee?? I did not know that… I appreciate the offer, but the plan currently is to cruise up to check it out and head back the same day. I have a buddy who is splitting the driving but it will still be a long day 😊 It is the busy time of year at work right now and I don’t wanna take any more time off then I have too. I am sucking up as much OT as I can right now before it slows down, after labor day.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Geri's bus goes 2.5 Reply with quote

35 years ago, I used to make the central Connecticut-to-NYC and Nyack-to-NYC runs all the time, on those tight little parkways like the Merritt and major arteries like the Long Island Expressway. People were decent enough drivers, but there were so many of them and the driving decisions came up fast and furious.

I don't miss it. Out here in New Mexico, it's wide open spaces, baby (except for Albuquerque -- that place is a nightmare to drive in.)

I remember having a friend from Long Island who could not wrap his head around the concept of spaces between towns. He was incredulous that you could leave a town and drive for hundreds of miles through BLM or Forest Service land with "nothing there". Of course, that is where "everything" is -- outside of the damned cities.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Geri's bus goes 2.5 Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Of course, that is where "everything" is -- outside of the damned cities.

True that. Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Geri's bus goes 2.5 Reply with quote

geristauffer wrote:
So, they renamed the Tappan Zee?? I did not know that… I appreciate the offer, but the plan currently is to cruise up to check it out and head back the same day. I have a buddy who is splitting the driving but it will still be a long day 😊 It is the busy time of year at work right now and I don’t wanna take any more time off then I have too. I am sucking up as much OT as I can right now before it slows down, after labor day.

They built a beautiful new bridge, and the Governor named it after some politician, but I name it after the guy who save the beautiful Hudson River.

Its my thing.

Enjoy your Bus and Don.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Geri's bus goes 2.5 Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
geristauffer wrote:

They built a beautiful new bridge, and the Governor named it after some politician, but I name it after the guy who save the beautiful Hudson River.

Its my thing.

Enjoy your Bus and Don.

"From California, to the New York Island..............."

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
CrRusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Geri's bus goes 2.5 Reply with quote

The Old Bridge and new bridge still in construction two years ago.
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Geri's bus goes 2.5 Reply with quote

And now it is back home (after a safe ride being watched all the time). My first time actually driving one of his conversions and wow ..... Starts right up, quiet, shifter like a new car,...... Oh and still clearance for me to fit under to tie down even when it is warm.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Geri's bus goes 2.5 Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Geri's bus goes 2.5 Reply with quote

that was a killer bus. Geri should be happy for sure. thanks for transporting it. you're the only guy I trust to do it.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
geristauffer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Geri's bus goes 2.5 Reply with quote

Wow. What a busy week... Got the bus back sunday morning. I have to agree that Clay is the guy to call-- constant communication throughout the process and an overall friendly guy. Got in for state inspection on Wed morning, the shop had never seen one b4 and were blown away by the clean install. Left Friday morning for a small music festival an hour and a half from home. It took around 2 and a half hours due to construction traffic but that seems to be the norm in Pa these days.

Not a great spot as they were trying to cram 1000 people into a small field, but it was fun anyway. The only other VW there was an 82 Riviera, originally a diesel, but also converted to a subi 2.5. I got to talk to the guy, but had my phone shut off-- in the glovebox, where it belongs... For ride back Monday there was much less traffic, so i hammered down and made great time.

I must say this thing is awesome!!! I do need to slow down a bit as it is easy to speed now without trying. Also, it handles like a bus and suggested speeds at corners are definitely meant for me Smile

Thanks again for all the hard work Skills!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Geri's bus goes 2.5 Reply with quote

geristauffer wrote:
Got in for state inspection on Wed morning, the shop had never seen one b4 and were blown away by the clean install.

awesome! Embarassed glad the shop gave you props for the work. there are aspects of the swap that could be better...one is the Subaru harness is a bit bulky even trimmed down so I do my best to make it look like organized chaos Laughing

she looks right at home at the festival too!

Quote:
I must say this thing is awesome!!! I do need to slow down a bit as it is easy to speed now without trying. Also, it handles like a bus and suggested speeds at corners are definitely meant for me Smile

Thanks again for all the hard work Skills!

don't lay the bus over in a corner! easy to let that power get away from you for sure. glad you're enjoying it and if anyone should be thanked, it's you...you were so patient waiting on that transmission. I hope you use the hell out of it, and have fun with the kids on Halloween!

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: