Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reviving a Syncro
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

A very wise experienced vw guy -Keith of Complete Auto in Staunton Va - who has done many many Vanaru conversions once told me that its virtually an automatic decision to put a new fuel tank and new rad in every conversion. a 30+year old tank has loads of crap around the outlet screen or just sitting at the bottom of the tank. In my case, a few miles of rough road bouncing the crap around and enough gets through to the filter to occlude it make the fuel pump work extra hard and eventually fail.

i once did a temporary fuel starvation fix by blowing compressed air back into the tank - I too always carry 1or 2 spare fuel pumps and filters.

Perhaps this would be an appropriate place for someone to post links to fuel pump alternatives - I know that eg, there is a Ford fuel pump that is very reasonably priced and works very well - and there are other makes and models that used similar pumps
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

2 of my vans have had to replace the fuel pump mid-trip
always on the HOT days.
iirc I use one listed for an 1989 F250 about $90 at a flaps

my next swap I plan to install duel fuel pumps like dirt track cars run with a toggle A-B switch.
if one acts up.. flip switch.. symptoms go away?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

I took the van out to "Buses by the Royal Gorge" on Friday afternoon, had a great time and made some new friends. Oddly, I had the only Syncro.

Skyline Drive in Canon City

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

...followed by a fun trek up a switchback road in the mountains.

I was thinking that the bus in front of me was leaking fuel; I could smell it pretty strongly. Then we stopped on this bridge and the couple behind me said, "Fuel is SPRAYING out of your van."

...and they were right, it was me. It was over 100 degrees out and my tank was not venting. The gas was coming from the fill tube metal/hose connection. I took off the fuel cap and a whole bunch of pressure released and the leak stopped. Whew. We let our vans cool off and I left the cap off for the rest of the drive.

Royal Gorge Bridge, the 2nd highest bridge in the world.

It's only open for vehicles for special events, so it was quite a treat to drive across it. The swaying and noisy timbers did pucker me a bit.

Set up for camp (I spent most of my time at my neighbor's Westy.)

Owokie was there in his incredible LT28. Such a cool and unique vehicle. I swear everybody out there, whether split, bay, or Vanagon owners, wanted one.

I don't usually take pics of bays but this was too pretty to pass up.

I did a little research here when I got home Saturday and found an idea of the fuel problem in this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569409

Upon inspection, it only took me a moment to figure out how I'd screwed it up back when I resealed the tank.

I'd put the larger top hose on the charcoal canister without an "L" fitting and the hose was crimped, so no effective venting. I found the exact fitting I'd neglected to install in my stash and fixed it up.

Makes me wonder if my fuel pump issues a few weeks back weren't the result of vapor not venting.

I also installed a brand-new fuel pump and filter and put my spare pump back in its spot.

(Lost a bit of charcoal in the process...)

I've also had an annoying rattle from the right front and narrowed it down to the brake caliper. Pulled the wheel and found that the caliper pins were loose. I took them out, lubed them up with hi-temp copper grease, reinstalled, and the rattle is gone.

Oh--One thing about the high top:

Saturday morning I slept in until around 9:00. (I may have stayed around the keg with a few gents until the wee hours...) I opened the slider and saw that everybody was out of their vans. A guy in a bay camped close to me said, "how could you stand the heat in there? We were all out first thing, my van is like an oven."

The combo of full top insulation, limo tinted windows, and the vent fan had my van nice and cool even as the day was already scorching. Made me proud. Smile

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Went to Tenacious D at Red Rocks last night. Our crew was a bit inexperienced (with the notable exception of Mrs. joetiger) and arrived pretty late to my house, so unfortunately it took forever to get out there. Then another tenderfoot who was charged with saving us a spot on the road was unable to do so (I suspect timidity.) We ended up cramped up in the lot.

The reason we park on the road is because from that spot, it takes no time to get out of the park after the show. With this spot, we were stuck in a jam trying to get out of our parking place for over an hour. Not a good vibe for a guy who gets up at 4:30 AM for work... Mad

Even with doing everything wrong logistically, it was a chilly, beautiful evening and the show was fun. I saw this Westy from a distance before the show:

Anybody going to the Bug-in at Bandimere Sunday? I might run up there and have a walk around the swap meet.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Summer continues, and the van is getting a good workout.

I took my wife and daughters to Weird Al Yankovic with the Colorado Symphony Orchestra at Red Rocks last Thursday, and had a great time at a hilarious show on a beautiful night.

Sadly we were once again late arriving, so I parked in my alternate tailgate spot.

That makes seven Red Rocks outings this summer. Still a couple to go.

Early Friday morning I headed down to Rhythms on the Rio and VW Bus Camp in South Fork. I wasn't sure what to expect but was shocked by the size and scope of the festival. RV's forever (looked like a NASCAR race) and VIP camping right up front for VW Buses. It was a weekend of great music, fantastic folks, and nearly 100 VW vans, buses, and Owokie's LT28. It was really worth the trip.

Here's a little 15 second clip looking out from my van on Saturday afternoon:

Link

(In the interest of total disclosure, that was a lot more bluegrass than I'm accustomed to. After a while I kinda felt like I was living in one of the chase scenes from Smokey and the Bandit.)

As luck would have it, there was a Cajun food trailer right inside the gates of the festival, about 30 yards from our camp, owned by a couple from Eunice, Louisiana. The food was legitimate, authentic Louisiana cuisine and I couldn't get enough.

People, music, beer, real Cajun food, and VW's. I couldn't have imagined anything better than that.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Don't drink and parts shop.

Sure, it's funny and rewarding when an Elvis Judo suit-themed T-shirt shows up from China (true story) but not so much when you order Pzwo knock-off fogs from Turkey which take over a month to arrive and require a wrestling match to install. They do look nice, though.

They're fairly well-formed but the screw holes that the respective side grill bolts pass through are paper thin. It required some modified plastic washers and larger screws to get them properly fastened. In reading back through some posts here for actual Pzwo fogs, I found it interesting that at least one Samba member was unimpressed by the fit quality of the originals. If that's the case then maybe these are an accurate representation.

When I started looking at this early last week, the tabs on my right front turn signal turned to dust upon removal, so I ordered the cheaper, too-orange replacement set from VC. Again they seem too orange, but good enough quality and they're not spiderwebbed with cracks like my old ones. I have a Hella relay/wiring kit on the way to finish up the fogs install; hoping the lights work...

A buddy who jumped in and sanded the sides of the roof for the high top install was promised at-will Colorado Rapids tailgating for his trouble. I was able to begin to repay him Saturday evening.

The Rapids actually won and it was a nice, cool evening. Plus, being out in the lot with a good beer in hand, talking with passers-by about the van and shootin' the bull, well that never gets old.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

I was busy with a big staircase resurfacing project this weekend but did find a few minutes to add some inexpensive canvas storage bags to the D-pillars:

Not super exciting, but they cover up the ratty liner and will be a good use of the space for small storage without taking up sleeping area.

We also picked up Bubbles, our inherited '02 Beetle, from its stay at the body shop. I had it completely gone over for my elder daughter's 16th birthday. Sanded to metal, all hail and body damage repaired, and resprayed. It really did turn out well.

Normally I wouldn't spend this kind of money and effort on a car of this vintage (and for a teen no less,) but it was my mom's car so the sentimental value outweighs the financial. With only 58k on the clock it's like brand-new. Most importantly, my daughter is extremely appreciative.

I don't think of New Beetles as vintage, but she and her friends do. The car is 18 years old. Shocked

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Applause

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Quote:

Normally I wouldn't spend this kind of money and effort on a car of this vintage (and for a teen no less,) but it was my mom's car so the sentimental value outweighs the financial. With only 58k on the clock it's like brand-new. Most importantly, my daughter is extremely appreciative.

I don't think of New Beetles as vintage, but she and her friends do. The car is 18 years old. Shocked

Looks like you lifted it Cool

http://www.vwliftkits.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

tjet wrote:

Looks like you lifted it Cool

http://www.vwliftkits.com/

I did, a few years back, and 215/75/15's and an aluminum skid plate. Smile It's unstoppable in the snow.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Nice...

I just put a 2" kit on my jetta & general grabbers (& a skid plate too)

Getting ready for winter

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1937907

You can fit bigger tires on the beetle. I don't think 215/75's would fit my jetta.

BTW, you're getting some good use out of your Syncro. Mine is out west in California Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
Nice...

I just put a 2" kit on my jetta & general grabbers (& a skid plate too)

Getting ready for winter

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1937907

You can fit bigger tires on the beetle. I don't think 215/75's would fit my jetta.

BTW, you're getting some good use out of your Syncro. Mine is out west in California Crying or Very sad

Love the Jetta! I had to use a heat gun to massage the inner fender wells about 1/8" to make the tires fit in the rear. Yeah we're definitely using the Syncro. If it isn't purposeful it's not really worth anything to me.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Cookbook
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Really enjoying the thread over here. Popcorn

I like the look of the canvas storage - where did you get those?

Alex
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Cookbook wrote:
Really enjoying the thread over here. Popcorn

I like the look of the canvas storage - where did you get those?

Alex

Thanks Alex! Cheapo's from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QDM1L47/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The canvas is nice and thick, but the zippers seem a bit flimsy. I used stainless screws and wide washers to attach them. If they don't last, I'll yank them out...

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

We spent a nice long weekend/wife's birthday up on Wellington Lake outside of Bailey, CO at a big group campsite with friends and their friends.

There were lots of kids running around and, thankfully, several kayaks and SUP's to keep everybody busy. It was a great way to close out the summer, and Mrs. joetiger got to paddle board to her heart's content. All in all a successful birthday weekend.

...however, score one for the people who recommend a portable solar panel. I was in the shade for most of the weekend and not generating much power. My 50AH battery just could not keep up with the fridge and device charging.
There's no service out there, but my girls read books on their phones.

I also aired up three watercraft (with the engine running) but I think it really took it out of the battery. The system works, but I need to add that second battery/put a bigger one under the seat.

Happy Fall, Y'all!

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Much bigger for sure.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Colder weather, bum coolant hose. And this is an obnoxious hose. It comes off of the back of the water pump, weirdly-shaped and difficult to get to.
The plastic housing cracked between the two hoses, so not really repairable.
Unfortunately my backup ride was also down last week for timing belt and water pump replacement so I was either on my bike or at the mercy of Uber until parts came in.

All fixed up.

More importantly, I got this cool sticker from a gentleman in London. If you're on Instagram, his is a great feed to follow with tons of interesting T3/Syncro pics. It seemed appropriate to put it up at high altitude.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Inside dog/Outside dog.

Inside dog is nearly finished Shocked and gets driven robustly when the streets are dry. I haven't decided whether to keep it or not, but sadly I have fallen in love with the thing.

The Syncro has been an absolute joy in the snow so far this year. I've developed yet another tiny coolant leak in the water pump/thermostat housing area that needs investigating, but otherwise it's been pretty smooth sailing.

I also re-did my intake for the sixth time and added a new K&N filter assembly, too damned expensive but nevertheless perfect for my setup.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAJ6N4M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(I know that these are not optimal for dusty conditions but I'll add a pre-filter before hitting the desert in the spring.)

With the new year, ambitious plans are in development to go all-in with Monstaliner. I'm extremely impressed with its durability on the top and, while I have been fond of the pinstripes and peeling paint, I'm tired of the haggard look and find myself daydreaming about the possibility of having a "flan van."

I'll fix up the seams and any other rust first in my driveway, then beg a buddy to let me roll on the liner in his shop.

Happy New Year!

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

If I'd really known how much more comfortable they'd be, I would have made a better effort at doing it years ago. Better seat position and more support. From a '93 EV, I picked them up from Cole (Extremejeepn) at Cave Vans:

The rail grinding was pretty straightforward, save a severe thumb burn (through the glove, even!) from pressing on a wayward shard of red-hot metal.

Sticking with the Mexican Restaurant interior theme, I've got a set of blue/beige/red Aztec-patterned custom seat covers currently being stitched.

Looking forward to getting some seat time in. In the meantime, a T3 Technique anti-sway bar and Chinese knock-off heater are en route, which should keep me occupied until the in-dash AC project begins.

Geaux Tigers!

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

I love my eurovan seats. I love being able to do micro adjustment on the recline to help with fatigue when driving. One thing to be careful with is the adjustment knob on the arm rest. One of them had the splines get stripped out inside.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 33

Jump to: