Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
Just out of curiosity what’s the timing at idle after you timed it at full advance?

Somewhere between TDC and the 10 mark. I didn't take notice of the exact location. Just looked and thought that would be fine. I wasn't sure the mechanical advance on the 009 was working correctly so timed at full advance to check.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ralexward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

I would guess it was around 3-4 degrees when we times it at max advance. Must have bumped it when we had it apart. Really weird it ended up that far out.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Fixed the transmission… well not a great fix. Smile

Just enough tension to hold in gear. It only pops out at low RPM under load. I will rebuild it this winter but have a few more trips to make. Hopefully it lasts.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Camping on the coast of Maine tonight. BBTB tomorrow.

Bus working good but running a bit rich I think. Ran out of gas at 195 miles. I usually go 200. Started walking to the gas station a mile away and a nice guy stopped and gave us some gas. Smile We will be getting gas at 160 from now on.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:

Bus working good but running a bit rich I think. Ran out of gas at 195 miles. I usually go 200. Started walking to the gas station a mile away and a nice guy stopped and gave us some gas. Smile We will be getting gas at 160 from now on.

Might want to reconsider that reserve tap, or carry a gallon in a spare gas can. A small change in MPG due to pushing thru high winds and/or some hiccup in your engine (like a leaking fuel pump diaphragm) can still strand you.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
sgellis wrote:

Might want to reconsider that reserve tap, or carry a gallon in a spare gas can. A small change in MPG due to pushing thru high winds and/or some hiccup in your engine (like a leaking fuel pump diaphragm) can still strand you.

Yea... I plan to eventually get a reserve and also fix the gauge. Some day. Smile
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Bit of a problem today. #2 exhaust valve decided to loose it's head. Borrowed a floor jack and pulled the motor. Removed the bits and reassembled without pushrods.

Got us to BBTB! 5 hours late. Works well considering.

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Bummer! So you re-assembled and drove on with three functioning cylinders to an event, and got home too? Good trick to know... I'll be driving one of my Buses from Phoenix to St. Louis in a couple of weeks and don't expect issues, but it helps to store those "tricks" in your memory bank...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Bummer! So you re-assembled and drove on with three functioning cylinders to an event, and got home too? Good trick to know... I'll be driving one of my Buses from Phoenix to St. Louis in a couple of weeks and don't expect issues, but it helps to store those "tricks" in your memory bank...

Bill

Other than low power it seams fine. Drove 4 hours yesterday on 3. We leave for home tomorrow. About 500 miles over 2 days.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Good that the damage was so little that you could get it back on the road!

Old valves run hard and hot will do that.

A shop we trusted back in the 1970s- early1990s (when they closed) did some valve tests. Took SS and stock valves out of heads with over 100,000 miles. Stuck the valve stems in a vice and hammered on the valve head to bend the stem over. SS valves bent over a full 90 degrees without problem. Stock steel valves would just break off before bending.

They had also noticed when the national speed limit was 55 MPH that the type 4 engine in the bus would easily go 200,000 to 300,000 miles before needing a rebuild if maintained. Once the speed limit went up to 60 MPH or more, longevity dropped to more like about 125,000, when a valve broke or valve seat would drop.

You are probably have the older 7mm stemmed valve, VW went to 9mm for the FI type 1 and the type 4 engines. A n upgrade you should consider for your new or rebuilt heads.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

We made it home. 700 miles on three cylinders. Bus will stay that way untill winter. No long trips though.

Was a fun weekend even with the breakdown. Fun story anyway. Sunday we caravaned back with Burlyhammer and his son to his place. Great fun. Somehow I always end up with a bunch of free stuff when we stop there. Smile

Monday we made it to Saint John and got the boat to Nova Scotia. Power out everywhere here from the storm. Just got cell service back and may get power tomorrow. Nice to have a bus fridge. Driving the bus everywhere so the battery stays charged.

I have a rebuilt block assembled and will put new 1600 cylinder set on and get two heads rebuilt. Next year it should be dependable. This old engine was only supposed to run a few hundred miles when we put it together. That was 7000 miles ago. Smile

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Leaching power from work to keep the battery topped up. Takes about three hours driving to recover the battery from running the fridge overnight. We may get our power back on tomorrow but wont be surprised if it takes a few more days.

Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Leaching power from work to keep the battery topped up. Takes about three hours driving to recover the battery from running the fridge overnight. We may get our power back on tomorrow but wont be surprised if it takes a few more days.

I was glad to hear that you two made it home safely.
Looking forward to next year!!!
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Happened to be in the barn so grabbed my new block. It was supposed to be completely rebuilt many years ago and never run. Has been re-stamped.

I will split it and inspect/measure everything. I can see the connecting rods were not done so definitely don't trust what's inside. I need to pick up some good measuring tools.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Very nice day for a drive.

Still running on 3 cylinders with no problems. Was hoping to get another camping trip or two in this year but busy with house projects. Really should get the roof on before snow hits. Smile . Also don't want to take the bus more than a couple hours form home with only 3/4 of an engine. We likely only have 6 weeks before it goes in for the winter. Last year first salting of the roads was Nov 16.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Putting the bus away a little early. Transmission is making a nasty rumbling noise when idling in neutral. Started jumping out of forth so was planning a rebuild anyway.

My winter list...

Build a new engine.
Rebuild transmission
Rebuild steering box.
Inspect all the brakes and add duel circuit
Fix fuel gauge and add a reserve valve
Rear bumper
Install new engine lid latch
Restore air filter
Rebuild fuel pump
Restore jack
Restore gas heater. Need to find ducts, intake and exhaust
Splash pan
New front door seals
Maybe fix drivers upper hinge. May require painting door. Should have reinforced the inside but looked good when I restored it.

AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

You did a *beautiful* job on that bus. What was it’s original color?
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
You did a *beautiful* job on that bus. What was it’s original color?

Thanks

It was originally dove blue.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Finally back to it. Smile

First up was open the new block and see what it was like inside. Was supposed to be a rebuilt block that was never run. Block was re-stamped but can see the first number was A. Crank spun very easily. Checked the endplay and it was .010".

Gland nut was very tight. Was expecting the 3/4 to 1/2 adaptor too come apart as I was bouncing the breaker bar. And I need to grind away a little from the engine mount when the motor comes off. Just squeezed the bar in.

With flywheel off I could see it was run. I built an oil pump puller and case splitter. Oil pump is warn so will get a new one. Oil cooler had a stud tapped a size down. I was a little disappointed at that. Going to look through my stuff and see if I have everything for a doghouse cooler.

Split case and found very little ware on the bearings. Likely less than 5000 miles on them. lifters are warn flat though. Crank looks great. Been turned down .010". Cam look great but will inspect the lobe height when my dial gage finally arrives. I purchased some cheap measuring tools through aliexpress. Not the greatest quality but they measure correct and were very cheap. Distributor drive and gears on crack look great.

Block has been line bored .020 for crank but cam is stock. All dowels are good. I will pull the relief valves and inspect them but don't have a puller yet.

So I will get lifters, oil pump, all bearings, wrist pin bushings, some end play shims and a new gland nut. That should do the block.

Need to decide if I will get the crank assembly, flywheel and pully balanced.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Do consider the Maxi 2 filter pump from CB. Nice to keep out the crud that always passes thru the bearing with just the strainer.

Also drill a lower oil drain hole for #1 bearing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 41 of 50

Jump to: