Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Please Consider Theft-Proofing your Van
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Please Consider Theft-Proofing your Van Reply with quote

In light of the recent rash of stolen Van reports, I thought I would post this link to the FAQ section dealing with how to prevent your Van from being stolen.

Read these threads and do something!

It would be wise to invest in a cellular or GPS tracker too.

The link ....
Scroll down to Thefts and Theft-Proofing .......

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6236040#6236040

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Consider Theft-Proofing your Van Reply with quote

Thanks for posting these links. If i lived in the Pacific Northwest I’d be taking every precaution possible. I guess it doesn’t matter where you live because there are car thieves everywhere. A kill switch is certainly worth the time, money and effort. I have a gps tracker on my van and i must admit that it does give me some sense of security and possible recourse if someone ever stole my van. For $100 a year, spot trace is well worth the expense in my eyes.
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Consider Theft-Proofing your Van Reply with quote

Devil's advocate and in the interest of alarm fatigue (remember the terror threat levels?) might I suggest that a kill switch, alone, is adequate? I have yet to hear of a single van successfully stolen with a kill switch in place. Happy to be educated if this is not the case but am interested only in reality, not potentiality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Consider Theft-Proofing your Van Reply with quote

Appreciate you splitting off on this thread, Dave!

We've yet to do a GPS. Will. Should prioritize it (!) but too many other irons in our lives of late.

No excuse, but... I do have issues with relying on yet more tech in my life, the idea of expecting AT&T working properly in any circumstance, especially as a third-party attachment to a GPS, and under such nightmarish circumstances as losing our van, has me looking at other options beyond Spot Trace -- not to mention I ordered it last fall, got billed and never received anything, and had to battle for a refund. Looking for a better solution, I refuse to support companies that pull crap like that. Welcome to Century 21.

A kill switch sounds better to me. We have several ways to disable the van at trailheads and elsewhere, and am comfortable with those. I think the best defense for us all is to put the van in a position of thievery as few times as possible, but would see it all differently if living in a city again. With any luck, we never will again.

Premature post perhaps, I'll look at your links asap.

Thanks, and Best to All. Every theft riles me to the core.

— Colin Chapman
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Consider Theft-Proofing your Van Reply with quote

Dave,

Thanks! I recently wired in a cell/gps that I can retrieve the coordinates if it is within the footprint of the provider I chose. Problem is that rural US is poorly covered by that cell provider. Now, I need to find one that works with the big V, to add yet another prophylactic layer of (recovery only) info.

Yes, I am looking for a good solution to disable fuel, spark, etc.

Dave, I know you are well versed with available switches, and methods to wire these. Perhaps you could include some of your favorites in this thread?

I have seen some banter regarding a keypad type lockout or capacitance based switch in some interesting past threads on this, but either the member was making things up, or was so secretive that they didn't include enough detail on their equipment. I would like a solution that would require a temporary-contact to arm the start circuit and/or fuel pump that would auto-disconnect on key-off. Anyone know of such a device?

Kind regards,

-bobby
newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Consider Theft-Proofing your Van Reply with quote

Kill switch is probably the best overall for protection.

I have an additional and easily visible addition that is highly effective as well and ideal for when its parked alone for a while or god forbid, I ever go to the Northwest! I think it would be even harder to defeat than a club which can be cut fairly easily with a sharp saw (look at the videos). If the same guy saw this thing, they'd move on.

It's a thick cable lock like you might find on a bike. It's covered in soft vinyl so it can't scratch anything and has a handy combo lock so there's no key to bother with. It would be almost impossible to cut with anything a thief would carry, including large bolt cutters, and there's so way you are getting far with it wrapped around the steering wheel. I have mine looped around the steering column and it goes through the steering wheel. It has a sort of coiled resting state so it easily wraps back around the column and stays without any effort. You can get one here for cheap and wow is it easy to install and hard to defeat!!

https://smile.amazon.com/Kryptonite-Kryptoflex-Combo-Cable-Bicycle/dp/B000CPM3US
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Consider Theft-Proofing your Van Reply with quote

One of the coolest things ever read here was a guy who had his stereo as part of a disabler. Like it would only start on preset 2, or the like.

Brilliant, even better if it first brought up Easy Listening for ten seconds to force a quick switch to Acid Headbanging. Wink

Shoulda bookmarked it, but then again we have no traditional stereo. Rolling Eyes

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Consider Theft-Proofing your Van Reply with quote

Remove the rotor and put the distributor cap back on.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Consider Theft-Proofing your Van Reply with quote

Ding, Ding, Ding. 👍🏼

— Colin Chapman
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Consider Theft-Proofing your Van Reply with quote

A fun one I've seen in a different car is a hidden reed switch that needs a rare-earth magnet moved directly on top of it. So the thief would have to guess which square centimeter of the whole dashboard was the right place to move the small magnet - even if they were aware of the existence of the mechanism!
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Consider Theft-Proofing your Van Reply with quote

I want to ask, why are there so many thieves in Portland and the rest of the Pacific Northwest. But I won't ask that.

My real question:
Has anyone installed a brake "line locker" on their van?

Examples: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=brake+line+lock&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Having hydraulic pressure locking either the front or rear brakes would be pretty effective as long as the valve or switch was in an inconspicuous place.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Consider Theft-Proofing your Van Reply with quote

Theft section in the FAQ has now been updated with more recent topics that have more thorough info. Very Happy

Glenn wrote:

Cabriolet: Pop hood, pull distributor cap, pull rotor, reinstall cap, slam hood. And actually, it would just be easier/quicker to reach under the dash and yank the fuel pump fuse and/or relay out.

Vanagon: Open hatch, remove all the road trip gear, remove mattress, remove engine lid, pull distributor cap, pull rotor, reinstall cap, reinstall engine lid, reinstall mattress pad, reinstall gear, slam hatch. Repeat process to reinstall rotor. No thanks!
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Consider Theft-Proofing your Van Reply with quote

Wonder the percentage of car thieves who'd buckle in compared to not.

And how many have accomplices where both buckle in or not.

See where I'm going here...?

— Colin Chapman
912 outlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Consider Theft-Proofing your Van Reply with quote

Make a fake coil wire
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Consider Theft-Proofing your Van Reply with quote

I’m in Seattle so this topic is near and dear to my heart. I’m also one to think of ways to get even.

Install a fuel pump kill switch. Use a DTDP switch so that in position one the pump is on and the special accessory is off. Position two kills the fuel pump the powers a relay when the ignition goes hot — as in someone trying to take the van. Install a pair of Hella red horns inside the van behind the headliner right over the drivers head.

Just don’t forget the kill switch when using the van legitimately. It won’t be pleasant.

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Flickr --> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQNUXEF
michaelbteam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Consider Theft-Proofing your Van Reply with quote

Kill switches are the easy way and any competent mechanic can figure out how on an old Vanagon. Specifics don't really need to be advertised here, IMO. These other creative approaches are entertaining, but complicated enough to preclude regular use. A simple fuel pump switch [or two?] under the dash can be tripped casually even at a quick 7-11 stop, no fuss.
I was proud of my battery kill switch, and then realized it disabled my power locks. Still saves my van.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Please Consider Theft-Proofing your Van Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Theft section in the FAQ has now been updated with more recent topics that have more thorough info. Very Happy

Glenn wrote:

Cabriolet: Pop hood, pull distributor cap, pull rotor, reinstall cap, slam hood. And actually, it would just be easier/quicker to reach under the dash and yank the fuel pump fuse and/or relay out.

Vanagon: Open hatch, remove all the road trip gear, remove mattress, remove engine lid, pull distributor cap, pull rotor, reinstall cap, reinstall engine lid, reinstall mattress pad, reinstall gear, slam hatch. Repeat process to reinstall rotor. No thanks!

In NY, you can do all that in traffic at a light

Laughing
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Please Consider Theft-Proofing your Van Reply with quote

i've considered a kill switch or some form of immobilizer, but the reality is, no one wants a tin top. maybe i'll just live with the hot start issue i'm having, the thief can crank and crank, but it ain't gonna start.

BiWerks Design, LLC
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Please Consider Theft-Proofing your Van Reply with quote

i’d venture to say that we have so many thefts because we have so many vans.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Please Consider Theft-Proofing your Van Reply with quote

pbrown wrote:
I’m also one to think of ways to get even.

I've considered a take-off of Old Sparky but don't wanna mar my factory upholstery. Wink

I feel bad for you up there. This ain't right.

— Colin Chapman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: