Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

I’ve got a question. On a ‘67, are there bolts holding the body to the chassis under the rear seat? I’ve got two under the gas tank, two at the rear shock towers, but where I think there should be some in the car there is nothing. If I jack the car up there is space for them, but the holes were filled over at the factory with sealer.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Should be 4-13mm
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Should be.....

2 under the gas tank
18 under the body
4 under the rear seat
2 on the rear shock mount.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Jos.Hall wrote:
Should be.....

2 under the gas tank
18 under the body
4 under the rear seat
2 on the rear shock mount.

Alright and by the 4 under the rear seat you mean the 2 on each side on the cross members?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

yep
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

It's probably too late to help ya but I just made this up because I couldn't find one quickly.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Jos.Hall wrote:
It's probably too late to help ya but I just made this up because I couldn't find one quickly.

Oh awesome, that helps a ton, thanks!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

I think there are two more under the back seat going into the top of the torsion tube. I bolted the seat belts to them.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

EA812 wrote:
I think there are two more under the back seat going into the top of the torsion tube. I bolted the seat belts to them.

I thought so too, but the holes look to have been filled over at the factory on both sides.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Maybe the cross members have been replaced? Possibly the holes were never there leaving that step up to the person replacing them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

EA812 wrote:
Maybe the cross members have been replaced? Possibly the holes were never there leaving that step up to the person replacing them.
No the holes are there underneath the car, they've just been filled over with seam sealer on the top. I'm almost positive I'm the only person to have ever taken the car apart to a level to do that though, there was nothing replaced back there besides what I did.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
REDKAFER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

The two that are covered over by the factory were only used on the convertible model for purposes of stiffness. While redoing my 67, i unplugged these holes and used them. I notice no difference, however its possible that the additional mounting points are detrimental during temperature changes so if I were to do it over again I would leave them sealed instead of letting my OCD get the best of me.
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

REDKAFER wrote:
The two that are covered over by the factory were only used on the convertible model for purposes of stiffness. While redoing my 67, i unplugged these holes and used them. I notice no difference, however its possible that the additional mounting points are detrimental during temperature changes so if I were to do it over again I would leave them sealed instead of letting my OCD get the best of me.

I've never heard that before. Both our 65 and 66 had German bolts in those locations and not convertibles. They were too short to use as the seat belt bolts though. I think I had to dig them out of seem sealer. Maybe by 67 VW decided to save money on the 2 bolts per car😂
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Aren't the rear outboard seat belt bolt holes in the vertical plane between the B and C pillars low down almost at the heater channel? That's where my seat belts attach.
REDKAFER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

In 1967 USA (read:deluxe) market type 1's, rear outboard seat belt holes are under the bottom-most radius of the fiberboard paneling - i.e. they mount to the wall of the car rather than "under" the seat. Outside of that specific market though, when it comes to cars sold in other countries or at other trim levels YMMV.
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

REDKAFER wrote:
In 1967 USA (read:deluxe) market type 1's, rear outboard seat belt holes are under the bottom-most radius of the fiberboard paneling - i.e. they mount to the wall of the car rather than "under" the seat. Outside of that specific market though, when it comes to cars sold in other countries or at other trim levels YMMV.

Ha! That's why them holes were filled in with seam sealer.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Yeah I'm just gonna leave them covered. I plan on priming the car Thursday. I need a little help with this though, how do I adjust the front door gap? It gets really tight toward the top and I wanna fix this if I can. Unless this is because the loose hinge.

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
REDKAFER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

There are several adjustments you can make regarding the door alignment. Mainly however, there are three points of contact.

The first two are the obvious hinges. Loosening these screws takes a #4 phillips and lots of muscle. They just loosen a bit, dont remove these completely. Once loose, they allow for aligning how flush the door is with its surrounding panels and a little vertical adjustment.

The third point of contact is the striker. This is the bit by your left elbow when sitting in the drivers seat with the door open. THIS is the thing you're looking for. It should have a black rubber ramp on it which aligns the door as its closed - sometimes these are lost with time.

Loosening the #2 phillips screws here allows a very small amount of up/down and side/side adjustment. A VERY SMALL AMOUNT IS ALL YOU NEED! If you move this striker down, it will open up the body gap at your top hinge a bit. Because your body hinge needs to open up about 1/8 inch, you only need to move the striker down about 1/16 inch.

I'm guessing based on the photo. Trial and error works wonders in this case, or get silly and do the trigonometry.

Bug on.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

REDKAFER wrote:
There are several adjustments you can make regarding the door alignment. Mainly however, there are three points of contact.

The first two are the obvious hinges. Loosening these screws takes a #4 phillips and lots of muscle. They just loosen a bit, dont remove these completely. Once loose, they allow for aligning how flush the door is with its surrounding panels and a little vertical adjustment.

The third point of contact is the striker. This is the bit by your left elbow when sitting in the drivers seat with the door open. THIS is the thing you're looking for. It should have a black rubber ramp on it which aligns the door as its closed - sometimes these are lost with time.

Loosening the #2 phillips screws here allows a very small amount of up/down and side/side adjustment. A VERY SMALL AMOUNT IS ALL YOU NEED! If you move this striker down, it will open up the body gap at your top hinge a bit. Because your body hinge needs to open up about 1/8 inch, you only need to move the striker down about 1/16 inch.

I'm guessing based on the photo. Trial and error works wonders in this case, or get silly and do the trigonometry.

Bug on.
Just tried that. Can't go down anymore.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
REDKAFER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

okay, so lets try the contrapositive: loosen both hinges and move them both straight up. Check to see how much clearance you have between the top of the door and the rain gutter first. Use shims on the door sill to help keep it steady when you tighten it all back down.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 25

Jump to: