Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Axel nut removal and lug patterns
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ICTrains
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:47 am    Post subject: Axel nut removal and lug patterns Reply with quote

I need a little advice and opinions from the group.

I have to remove the axle nuts from my Thing and will be replacing the drums with disk brakes. To my knowledge, these nuts have never been removed and they are very stubborn. I’ve already bent a perfectly good bed rail trying to remove one so it’s time to look into a real tool for the job.

It’s down to these two:

Torque Multiplier
https://www.jbugs.com/product/16-9602.html

Axel Nut Removal Tool
https://www.jbugs.com/product/5750.html

Both tools will serve double duty for the axle but and the flywheel nut, but from a practicality and safety standpoint I think the torque multiplier will be the better tool. The axle nut removal tool even has a warning about excessive force bending he tool.

But...my plan is to change my lug pattern to 5x4.5 with the disk brakes simply because of the cost and availability of different style wheels. If I do this, I’m pretty sure the torque multiplier will not fit the new lug pattern and I’ll be back to needing some way to re-tighten the nuts.

One site I found sells the second tool with a description indicating that it will fit a bus narrow five lug pattern which is 5x112mm or 5x4.4ish. Would this possibly still fit the 5x4.5?

So my issue is that I want to buy the best tool for the job and if I weren’t planning to change lug patterns then the torque multiplier would be the better tool hands down.

Am I misguided in my desire to change lug patterns? Does anyone who’s changed patterns have any thoughts on this?

All opinions and advice are welcome!

Thanks.

'73 Thing
'16 Wrangler JKU

My Rebuild Project

Thing Rebuild Threads

"If you take something apart and put it back together enough times, eventually you'll have two."
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Axel nut removal and lug patterns Reply with quote

If you intend to put those nuts back on, and torque them to the proper spec, then use the torque multiplier tool.

The torque multiplier makes for no drama, and very little armstrong.
I imagine that it would not be too difficult to "adapt" the torque multiplier with some flat steel to accommodate your altered lug pattern.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ICTrains
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Axel nut removal and lug patterns Reply with quote

Thanks Mondshine! I don’t know why I didn’t think of an adapter plate. I guess a thin piece of plate steel wouldn’t offset it enough to create any issues.

Thanks again!

'73 Thing
'16 Wrangler JKU

My Rebuild Project

Thing Rebuild Threads

"If you take something apart and put it back together enough times, eventually you'll have two."
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Axel nut removal and lug patterns Reply with quote

The add shows the Torque Multiplier as "Out of Stock" at J Bugs and the price seems a little steep. It is available elsewhere and on EBay.

I do highly recommend the tool...30 seconds and my axle nut was off...I couldn't believe how easy it was.

Also, get some longer lug bolts as the stock ones on my 73 were too short. I just used some metric bolts with matching thread.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Axel nut removal and lug patterns Reply with quote

I use the Torque multiplier and won't use anything else. Most civilized way of doing things. Make sure you don't over torque because the multipliers can snap an axle. Ditto on the lug nuts. Make sure they're not too long either.
wizrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Axel nut removal and lug patterns Reply with quote

be wary of some of the versions of the torque multiplier. I bought a 'Torque Meister' that has worked perfectly for torquing UP rear axle nuts, but doesn't like to undo them.

I think the problem was partly that the nuts were on over tightly, but also the cast (as opposed to machined) teeth on the tool are not that well formed. As a result - coupled with the play in the mechanism - the teeth slipped.

I ended up using a 3-foot long breaker-bar with a 1" drive socket (this was a replacement for the 3/4" drive bar I broke last time I did this job...). my 200+lb weight at 3' was enough to break the nuts lose without using a cheater bar.

P.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Axel nut removal and lug patterns Reply with quote

The axle nut on a Bus is 46mm vs the one on a Bug/ghia/Thing being 36mm. If you get one for a bus, it's not likely to work.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
ICTrains
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Axel nut removal and lug patterns Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice everyone. I found a site that had the Empi brand tool so I suppose that will be a quality tool...

'73 Thing
'16 Wrangler JKU

My Rebuild Project

Thing Rebuild Threads

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Axel nut removal and lug patterns Reply with quote

ICTrains wrote:
Thanks for the advice everyone. I found a site that had the Empi brand tool so I suppose that will be a quality tool...

Empi is a brand to be avoided for most stuff, can't say how their torque multiplier compares to others though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: