Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shopping list for Vancouver, BC
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Shopping list for Vancouver, BC Reply with quote

Hi Folks

Just got into Vancouver yesterday and tomorrow I begin working on Antonio... out of my element in terms of locating the necessary supplies. So I decided to start a "shopping list" thread. As I need various things I will post here the item, and hopefully those who know will enlighten me as to where in Vancouver I can purchase...

To begin with I am going to be attacking a whole pile of RUST (Vancouver van.... go figure!) >>> I have some rust converter but after that plan to put on some EPOXY PRIMER... or even some POR15. Both of those things I have no idea where to find in Vancouver (West Side if possible).

The other thing I will need very soon is a NEW BATTERY.... any suggestions?

Thanks
Ed
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Shopping list for Vancouver, BC Reply with quote

Love 'em or hate 'em, I got my group 41 battery at Canadian Tire on Cambie street last year.
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Shopping list for Vancouver, BC Reply with quote

Can tire also has POR15
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/por-15-gloss-946-ml-0475874p.html

Auto body supply for 2 part epoxy in a spray can
https://goo.gl/maps/bMTogjc3tLLc8FpaA
BlueTwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Shopping list for Vancouver, BC Reply with quote

Napa, the North Vancouver location on Churchill Cr. but any location should sell for the same price.

41-6 Legend: $157.32 all in, with a $15.00 core credit

It's a squeeze and a battery lift strap is a must but it fits.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Shopping list for Vancouver, BC Reply with quote

Polar Battery is the best:
https://polarbattery.com/

For anything Vanagon specific, Werke1 in Richmond:
http://werke1.com/

For general stuff Canadian Tire often carries the same as any FLAPS but often a bit cheaper.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Shopping list for Vancouver, BC Reply with quote

still trying to locate epoxy primer in YVR... does it HAVE to be LECHLER?
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Shopping list for Vancouver, BC Reply with quote

Walmart for battery.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Shopping list for Vancouver, BC Reply with quote

wesitarz wrote:
Walmart for battery.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/everstart-maxx-41n/6000195362498
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Shopping list for Vancouver, BC Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
wesitarz wrote:
Walmart for battery.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/everstart-maxx-41n/6000195362498

That's it. You have to check your local stores.Good battery.Lasted longer than rating. On my second one now.
SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Shopping list for Vancouver, BC Reply with quote

Lordco has always been my goto FLAPS when in BC. They can get pretty much any part you need within a day, and their parts quality is better than Crappy Tire.
'72 Super Beetle
'69 Camper Van - Corvair powered
'71 Window Van - Transferred Corvair from '69

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." - Internet RFC 1925

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." - Sir Terry Pratchett
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Shopping list for Vancouver, BC Reply with quote

SlowLane wrote:
Lordco has always been my goto FLAPS when in BC. They can get pretty much any part you need within a day, and their parts quality is better than Crappy Tire.

What kind of parts are you getting there? I havehad zero luck getting any vw parts through Lordco and have always had to hit up the vanagon vendors.

S
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Shopping list for Vancouver, BC Reply with quote

next item... does anyone know where in Vancouver to buy high heat rubber hose? I need 5 meters to replace one of my engine to rad. coolant pipes.

Thanks!
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Shopping list for Vancouver, BC Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
next item... does anyone know where in Vancouver to buy high heat rubber hose? I need 5 meters to replace one of my engine to rad. coolant pipes.

Thanks!

1? or 1.25" ? I might be inclined to check with your local marine supplier. You are in a strong marine area. The last roll I purchased was off amazon.
Mike Robinson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Shopping list for Vancouver, BC Reply with quote

My 1982 diesel had a rusted out coolant pipe, which when checked was only the last bit before the engine, the rest was still good.

So if you have the same situation, check a truck supply shop (Peterbilt or Mack type not F150) and get braided 1.25" or 1.5" hose from them.

Mike
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Shopping list for Vancouver, BC Reply with quote

THX GUYZ! Exclamation
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Shopping list for Vancouver, BC Reply with quote

CdnVWJunkie wrote:
epowell wrote:

Thanks!

1? or 1.25" ? I might be inclined to check with your local marine supplier. You are in a strong marine area. The last roll I purchased was off amazon.

Marine exhaust hose. Also comes in 1 3/8"
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Shopping list for Vancouver, BC Reply with quote

Probably a silly question, but where in Vancouver can one purchase just basic NUTS & BOLTS in bulk in many sizes?? I have absolute NONE here in my mom's house. Back in Czech my GF's father had tons everywhere... and they are easily purchased there too...

...I am stuck because I was dropping the spare tire clam shell, which NORMALLY stays "up" via a little hook, even after you remove the bolt... but my little hook doesn't work and it came CRASHING DOWN on my knee... OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!! Twisted Evil
...in the chaos and pain the bolt must have gone flying and not it's gone... so I can't even get the clam shell back up.

Does anyone know how to repair that hook??
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: