Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

foxmon wrote:
No pulse from the fuel pump points testing it directly at the connector. I have another combustion air blower that bench tests fine.

I'm still stuck getting the blower off the heat exchanger. Andrew how did you achive
RONIN10 wrote:
System A's recently freed motor

Am I going to get it done still in the bus?

Spray it, beat the f*)K out of it with a soft blow hammer like BD said. You may need to chhip the asbestos gasket out as much as possible - just dont eat it. Spray it again. Have a beer. Beat the f&cK out of it some more. Rince and repeat. Wink

They can be a PITA to remove. Different metals. Its a cast body on the blower and a steel sleeve on the unit. Shit corrodes together. You may need to remove the whole thing to beat the shit out of it on the driveway.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

Sooo like this Notchboy? Laughing

Link

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

Yes. Exactly. Razz

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
foxmon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

If your heater hasn't run in years I highly recommend pulling it. Mine had a nest in it and I'm damn lucky it wouldn't fire. I would have had a fire.

With the heater out I was able to remove the combustion air blower with a dozen solid smacks. You can't really give it a solid smack installed because the mounts absorb the blow.

I installed my spare combustion air blower and she fired right up Smile

Does anyone have a combustion air blower clamp they would be willing to part with?

Thank you for the help and suggestions,
John
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

BA6

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Microfiche/t202720.gif
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Microfiche/t202730.gif
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Microfiche/t202800.gif

http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/LateBaywindow/027-20-2-019.jpg
http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/LateBaywindow/027-30-2-020.jpg
http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/LateBaywindow/027-30-2-021.jpg
http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/LateBaywindow/028-00-2-022.jpg
http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/LateBaywindow/028-00-2-024.jpg

BA6 PIX
BA6 Replacement Duct - Installed Front View
1977eberspacher wiring diagram
1977eberspacher wiring diagram
BA6 pictures

Heater System Parts
My BA6 gas heater install (pic heavy)
Eberspacher BA6 Gas Heater
1977 Eberspacher BA 6 VW Gas Heater Repair Manual
Eberspächer Manual
BA6 Wiring Diagram
BA6 Wiring diagram page 1
Eberspaecher BA-6/BN-4 Heater Manuals
VW Workshop Maual: Fresh Air Heating
BA6 fan running but no heat
LT1025 - Micropower Thermocouple Cold Junction Compensator
M557 Gas Heater Clock:
BA6 Heater Relay
BA6 in vehicle lots of pix
BA6 Belly Pan
BA6 Repair Manual
BA6 Heater not run for 10+ years
BA6 Videos notchboy
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

Reviving an old thread here. Trying to bench test my BA6. (bought it 7 years ago. I take it out every few months and try to hook it up, stare at it, then give up). I've gotten further than ever this time. I finally found the right instructions on how to hook up the wires to bench test. (above). It finally had fired up. Both fans work but my fuel pump is not clicking. Please let me know if I am diagnosing this correctly.

When I hook up the FP directly to power, it clicks. Just once.
Does that mean it works?

The fuel pump gets its power from the points on the combustion fan correct? Ive taken the CF apart and cleaned both sets of points. It looks like they are connecting correctly.

Do you think it's my points or fuel pump?

Thanks!
'65 Honda Dream
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

OG Velvet wrote:

Tough call without more diagnosis from you, the pump clicks once every time power is applied, there's constant power on the green wire and the brown striped wire is grounded now and then by the CF points. If that brown wire is shorted or the points aren't pointing it'll click once and stay pulled in. A test light on the pump wires will tell us alot, flash..flash..flash..?, or on all the time?
Another test would be to disconnect one wire at the pump and touch it to the terminal momentarily, click click?, or just one click then nothing?, one click with a slow recovery (despite your terminal tickling) before the next click says the pump needs cleaning out.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
OG Velvet wrote:

Tough call without more diagnosis from you, the pump clicks once every time power is applied, there's constant power on the green wire and the brown striped wire is grounded now and then by the CF points. If that brown wire is shorted or the points aren't pointing it'll click once and stay pulled in. A test light on the pump wires will tell us alot, flash..flash..flash..?, or on all the time?
Another test would be to disconnect one wire at the pump and touch it to the terminal momentarily, click click?, or just one click then nothing?, one click with a slow recovery (despite your terminal tickling) before the next click says the pump needs cleaning out.

Thanks fo replying. I plan on doing the test light test on the points, but since it's a BA6, it's not so easy to just hook up the wires like the older units. Hard to get in the area with the 4 nubbins.

The FP does not click at all when I have the whole thing wired up and running. It's only when I apply direct power to the pump
'65 Honda Dream
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

I just watched another Notchboy video on how to free up the pump. Looks like my pump is good and I need to figure out why the points aren't doing their job.
'65 Honda Dream
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

Update **

Got the combustion fan working and the fuel pump is pumping fuel.

Now I just can’t get it to ignite. Brand new beru plug.

I will go through all the trouble shooting stuff (unless someone here gives me a few things to try Wink ). I feel like I’m flooding it with gas. I’m a little skeered that I’m gonna have a Big Bang when it finally ignites. Should I let it rest for a bit between tries?

Signed
Don’t wanna blow up my back yard...
'65 Honda Dream
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

It can't hurt to take out the plug and air it out if you think it's flooded, but I've never got any bang out of one if it was, just a shitload of black smoke and stink for a few minutes.
Confirm your glow plug is actually heating during the start cycle and there's also spark happening on the high tension lead.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
It can't hurt to take out the plug and air it out if you think it's flooded, but I've never got any bang out of one if it was, just a shitload of black smoke and stink for a few minutes.
Confirm your glow plug is actually heating during the start cycle and there's also spark happening on the high tension lead.

So glow function is working but no spark. The spark plug does have continuity, so I am suspecting the coil. I'm digging through threads trying to figure out how to test that
'65 Honda Dream
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

Also, it my safety switch does eventually shut off the fuel pump, but the fans just keep running forever. Do I have something not wired correctly?
'65 Honda Dream
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

Not sure, I'd have to look over the diagrams again. No spark is likely the issue, it's like a BN-4 that won't light unless it has full voltage and amps like when the engine is running if it's trying to do it on glow alone. At least the points for the coil are easy to get at, start there.

Слава Україні!
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Not sure, I'd have to look over the diagrams again. No spark is likely the issue, it's like a BN-4 that won't light unless it has full voltage and amps like when the engine is running if it's trying to do it on glow alone. At least the points for the coil are easy to get at, start there.

I cleaned and checked both sets of points last night. How do I check the coil itself?
'65 Honda Dream
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

There must be an Ohm test shown in one of the manuals, the basic coil system is the same for all models with spark ignition and points. Many engines too, got a Hanes or Chilton manual for a motorcycle or something?

Слава Україні!
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

Does the body of the coil need a strong ground? Remember I am still bench testing so it's not mounted to the vehicle chassis.
'65 Honda Dream
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

Forgive the stupid question...

to check continuity on the spark side of the spark/ glow plug you test from the plug wire side to the prob end correct?

Cause if that's true, my brand new Beru plug is bad out of the box
'65 Honda Dream
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

Forgive the stupid question...

to check continuity on the spark side of the spark/ glow plug you test from the plug wire side to the prob end correct?

Cause if that's true, my brand new Beru plug is bad out of the box
'65 Honda Dream
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

I'm afraid I've forgotten all I've learned since I did this. Hopefully, Bus Daddy or notchboy can enlighten you.

Oscar: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, 2.0L FI, Manual Transaxle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: