Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone enter their VW in car shows?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone enter their VW in car shows? Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments!

True on the EZ ups. I'll zip tie it to the sand buckets filled with concrete-sometimes, I see I didn't do that for that show-must have forgot to.

Enjoy the Santa Cruz show-where are they having it? Haven't been back in 17 years...
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone enter their VW in car shows? Reply with quote

YDBD wrote:

Enjoy the Santa Cruz show-where are they having it? Haven't been back in 17 years...
By the court house on Ocean st.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone enter their VW in car shows? Reply with quote

I think the time has passed for displays using small rugs in front of your car- adorned with every yellow beetle toy and trophy you have and a time out girl pouting on the fender. I like period pieces tremendously (save for surfboards in Nebraska, wood slat racks on super beetles..).

But I will always stop to read a simple info board- or flip through a photo album. I enjoy seeing the "before" and during shots of any project. And when a show-goer is proud of the paint job and wants to credit the painter- I think that's great. These boards don't have to be considered a boastful display like you'd see on a rotisserie with mirrors and spotlights- just a clean presentation.

I'm the guy who, if you're planted behind your ride in a chair waiting to listen and watch for comments on your car, will walk right past your car. I don't get that either. It spoils the display.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone enter their VW in car shows? Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
I think the time has passed for displays using small rugs in front of your car- adorned with every yellow beetle toy and trophy you have and a time out girl pouting on the fender. I like period pieces tremendously (save for surfboards in Nebraska, wood slat racks on super beetles..).

But I will always stop to read a simple info board- or flip through a photo album. I enjoy seeing the "before" and during shots of any project. And when a show-goer is proud of the paint job and wants to credit the painter- I think that's great. These boards don't have to be considered a boastful display like you'd see on a rotisserie with mirrors and spotlights- just a clean presentation. .

I just tape a brief hand-written history of the car to a side window. Kind of a dateline that I put together from receipts that the original owner saved, Also, a photo of the owner (she was 85 years old at the time) with her car when we picked it up. It is amazing how many people stop and read every word and discuss it with other spectators. I try to stay un-involved unless they have a question.
Miklo
¡Chale!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone enter their VW in car shows? Reply with quote

I seem to get more attention every time I don't enter and just park.

I've got judges stickers on my car and I wasn't even entered.

More than once!

Antelope Valley's Mobile Air-Cooled Guru

Dr OnHolliday wrote:
As I remember it, lowriding was not one of the criteria that Adolf gave to Dr. Porsche...
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone enter their VW in car shows? Reply with quote

Miklo wrote:
I seem to get more attention every time I don't enter and just park.

I've got judges stickers on my car and I wasn't even entered.

More than once!

I have to agree, I always browse the parking lot and find many really nice VWs there.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SciPunk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone enter their VW in car shows? Reply with quote

I haven’t shown my VW’s yet as both are not ready (and water cooled...lol) However having showed many cars before, and having won some trophies and a lot of compliments for doing something different I did find that a info sheet a lot of times just is enough to push you over if you are going for points.

I would go all out for my steampunk themed scion because it was different and people wanted to know how i did certain things the info board would be a great help and allow me to wander around Smile I also had props that went with the theme, and yes it can be a pain hauling all that around but in the end it shows your passion for you vehicle and you love of the show as it were Smile

We will be getting our first air cooled eventually and i look forward to showing it!
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone enter their VW in car shows? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I used to roll into the show didn’t even wash the car and left coffee cup in the holder. My thinking it’s a driver and it has stone chips, rust and normal wear. It’s a real car not some trailer queen. That said I usually don’t win anything but I do have better parking and maybe a few goodies for entering. Im there to have fun not be waxing and making love to it. Here’s my show car.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thats how we do it. My wife drives her 63 Beetle and I drive the 71 Bus. There is no washing, primping or any other weird shit. Just drive it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone enter their VW in car shows? Reply with quote

I have but having to stay at a show for so long and wait for judging is brutal unless the show is in a cool town or massive. Ive missed several because i just didnt feel like dealing with that. Id rather just go on a long drive most of the time. And I built this thing to be a show car lol.

6T5 square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone enter their VW in car shows? Reply with quote

I drive my car to all shows. It will never be a trailer queen. I usually only do interesting shows. Last week was Dubs on the Boards held on the boardwalk in Wildwood, NJ. I drove 1 hour and 40 minutes to get there. Mine is the black one on the right

Took home this

Drive your car for gods sake- that's why you work on it

Quoting John Muir -- Open the rear boot. Get out the stool and sit down. Contemplate the air-cooled beauty before you. - How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive -- Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone enter their VW in car shows? Reply with quote

Congratulations! That's bad ass
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone enter their VW in car shows? Reply with quote

at our annual Salt City VW show in Syracuse, NY we award (10) POINTS for 'display' it's that little (or alot) of extra effort over the car next to you. can and does make a difference in placing 1st 2nd or 3rd sometimes.

but in honesty nearly exactly 1/2 of our event shows up non-judged. just out to enjoy the day with other VWs. we do have volunteer judges, it would be impossible to judge ona white glove official scale this day/age and would take forever to complete at the end of the show..

I don't intend to discourage the really nice cars from coming out. but it's %80 about the cars/hobby and somewhat %20 about the bragging rights of an award.

I do feel we offer decent quality and admirable custom made awards. but no 3ft tall bowling trophy holding a beetle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone enter their VW in car shows? Reply with quote

Nice.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker

Last edited by Splitdog on Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone enter their VW in car shows? Reply with quote

I'll enter and usually fill in the "don't judge" box, figuring it's a driver, unwashed, not detailed, and let's not waste the judges time. I do it because the money raised either supports the club or charity.
Yes, it's a better parking spot!
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone enter their VW in car shows? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I used to roll into the show didn’t even wash the car and left coffee cup in the holder. My thinking it’s a driver and it has stone chips, rust and normal wear. It’s a real car not some trailer queen. That said I usually don’t win anything but I do have better parking and maybe a few goodies for entering. Im there to have fun not be waxing and making love to it. Here’s my show car.

We do the same. I got talked into entering a Dubtoberfest when we drove over just to look, ended up winning 2nd in class against a very tricked out bus (my bus was unwashed and had a basket of clean laundry in it). My son has entered Emily in our 4th of July car show here in town - last year he got 2nd in class after I'd just finished telling him not to get his hopes up since there were pretty nice cars in his class (apparently what do I know), and this year Emily won first in class Shocked .

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone enter their VW in car shows? Reply with quote

In all fairness the entrants probably have different motives for entering the car. To try and satisfy all there are multiple classes, I’ve seen up to 33 but some folks have spent a considerable amount of time and money to create their idea of what a Volkswagen should be.

I can appreciate most of them but even stock can become boring as they are limited to colors and exhibit little to no creativity to set them apart from the next car. What chaps my ass is the pettiness of those that are disappointed when they don’t win a trophy or the rigged system whereby a club will have buddy judges that make sure certain folks win all the time.

The car show should be light and fun not a ruthless competition but it’s just human nature I guess for certain assholes to take something fun and twist into being something selfish. Very Happy
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone enter their VW in car shows? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
In all fairness the entrants probably have different motives for entering the car. To try and satisfy all there are multiple classes, I’ve seen up to 33 but some folks have spent a considerable amount of time and money to create their idea of what a Volkswagen should be.

I can appreciate most of them but even stock can become boring as they are limited to colors and exhibit little to no creativity to set them apart from the next car. What chaps my ass is the pettiness of those that are disappointed when they don’t win a trophy or the rigged system whereby a club will have buddy judges that make sure certain folks win all the time.

The car show should be light and fun not a ruthless competition but it’s just human nature I guess for certain assholes to take something fun and twist into being something selfish. Very Happy

I've been involved with a show since 2005 and been the head of it since 2011 and I can tell you that there's always at least one person every year who has his panties in a wad because he thinks he should have won something. It never fails.
Last year I had guy telling me how it was rigged because only people in my club won awards as well as the door prizes and 50/50 drawing.
All of that was really quite funny because number one, I am not in a club. The show is ran by me and a small group of friends and none of our own cars are entered. They are there on display but not entered. Number two, the show is in central Alabama and I handed trophies to people from Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Mississippi and Louisiana. 50/50 went to someone from New Orleans. Yet he still said it was rigged. I told him that if only club members won I have one hell of a big club because judging from who all won, the club must stretch from New Orleans, Louisiana all the way to Greenville, South Carolina, down to Pensacola, Florida as up to Nashville, Tennessee. Laughing I don't even let it bother me. It's just so ridiculous.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: