Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

FAS Engine Conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mustard675
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: FAS Engine Conversion Reply with quote

derMechaniker wrote:
In October 2017 I installed an FAS Gen V PD TDI engine package into my 1991 Westfalia Syncro w/factory air.

I'm happy to answer any further questions and feel free to contact me if you're interested in installing one or having one installed.

I see you're in CA, sent you a PM with some questions! Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Classifieds Feedback
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: FAS Engine Conversion Reply with quote

oceanair wrote:
Any more updates on the Gen V?

I just installed the Turbo kit on my GenV conversion. I would suggest anyone looking at the GenV conversion go for the turbo up front *if* you think you may want one in the future. Considerably cheaper (for obvious reasons), and boy it's easier to install during the engine swap than afterward. The turbo version of the GenV is really, really, fun to drive, and surprisingly mine gets about 1 mpg better mileage under heavy load (climbing through the mountains for e.g.) than the NA motor did, with a big boost (pun intended) in HP and torque.

Well worth the cost - and skinned knuckles (I installed it after the fact) - *for me* just for the fun factor. Mileage is just a bonus. And so far, no issues related to the kit (yeah, I screwed up a thing or two here and there, but...). Others have posted pics of the turbo kit, and you can clearly see the level of detail and engineering that have gone into this kit. It really is top notch. I'm too busy, and too old, to dink around with half-engineered kits that require a ton of tinkering anymore, and the FAS kits fill the bill for 'works out of the box' and 'turn-key' which is what I look for these days. YMMV.

Keith Hughes
'86 Westy GenV Turbo (Marvin)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinknoser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: FAS Engine Conversion Reply with quote

Chris & Jon were great! drove my 87 westy up before Thanksgiving for Gen V Install & flew back to Florida & flew back up this spring for P/U & drove it back. It is a great design, well thought out & i've had them all. Jetta in 81 diesel Westy & Tiico which caught fire unfortunately in another 87. Went with eurovan camper too until tranny problems.
Recently had shocks installed in the 87 and mechanic pointed out the block was rusting, even on top. Was told it was "flash rust" as it had come back in winter weather from the NE 1/2 way back it went through a carwash with underside option & hosed off underside at home. Chris was professional and Jon once involved well not so much. I'm wondering about the block as well as professional others. What is wrong here? Jon requested pictures which once sent are described as "blurry".
Unfortunate that I feel I'm getting the run around. For the money spent it shouldn't be like this. It's the core of the whole package. You'd think it would be painted/coated something. It runs great but what happens a year or two from now? I'm perplexed. Went from estatic to very confused. Any advice I'll surely listen to. Thanks....Mark
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: FAS Engine Conversion Reply with quote

Is this surface rust? If so, I assume you've got better things to worry about. Cast iron blocks all rust...all of them.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: FAS Engine Conversion Reply with quote

My Golf block looks like that too -- all rusted -- looks terrible, but it's normal and doesn't cause problems.
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: FAS Engine Conversion Reply with quote

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=268304
Pinknoser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: FAS Engine Conversion Reply with quote

Being a plumber/pipefitter/boiler operator I'm aware of different dissimilar metals etc. and reactions. Basically having a brand new long block (VW Golf) engine show this kind of rust, in so short a time just doesn't seem OK with me.
If a dealer installs an engine and it looks like mine does in a short time frame I would think they'd hear about it from the customer or their mechanic.
Chose not to use anything on it until good pictures could be taken. WD 40 had been suggested as well as other products, of which there are many.
I'm considering using CRC heavy duty corrosion inhibitor/Marine grade on the areas I can get to, but what about the areas where you can't?
Thanks for the feedback and appreciate the comments. Just want to move forward with this in the right way considering the money that was spent.
mellowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: FAS Engine Conversion Reply with quote

FAS conversion since 2013 here with a factory fresh (at the time) AEG long block. I bought a crate engine from Cascade German in Oregon and utilized the whole FAS kit back when they sold kit parts without engines. My block started showing surface rust right away and might have already had a few spots on it when I opened the crate. Never thought much of it other than it's sort of the factory look. No rust progression and no problems with this conversion 6 years/40K miles in. I disassembled a 200K+ mile/13 year old engine (from Maine) for parts on my conversion and amazingly every bolt and stud backed right out. Maybe a professional detailer could set you up with product to stave off surface rust on the bare casting block or check with the water pumper car show guys and see what they are doing.

Last edited by mellowslow on Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:17 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: FAS Engine Conversion Reply with quote

I’d have to see a picture. I imagine FAS is sourcing these crate engines from a supplier. I don’t think they’d be responsible for the paint finish on the block. When I rebuild an engine, the block is steam cleaned and I tape it off and rattle can some engine block paint. I’ve never worried about how the paint holds up. My attention is to the internals.
akyrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: FAS Engine Conversion Reply with quote

I keep thinking, "huh,Pinknoser has no oil leaks." You should be happy about that. Or, you could make an oil leak, that would keep your block from rusting, and make you fit in with the VW herd of Yore.

I also see that you live in Florida, constant salt from the ocean. This will cause rust anywhere.

I just had a harness made by FAS and they have been great so far. No questions left unanswered. Polite and all that to boot.

82 AHU DK, 1950's Puch-black
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: FAS Engine Conversion Reply with quote

I'm not sure it's wise to burn through the supply of goodwill with the vendor based upon something frivolous like this, when there may be something more substantive cropping up at some time in the future which requires their attention. This just isn't worth the time and effort to resolve.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: FAS Engine Conversion Reply with quote

the car wash will NOT get the brine/salt mix from a north east road off the motor block before it has/had an impact on the cast iron.

the motor will still take years of full season driving to come close to compromising anything except asthetics.

even a new motor isn't really 'prepped' for paint. it's just flash painted over the raw cast iron, they all will flash rust thru the thin top coat used.

if you wanted a shiny and detailed paint to last job that would cost much more extra time and $$.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinknoser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: FAS Engine Conversion Reply with quote

Dan from Syracuse & akyrie I grew up in Philly & know as you do all about rust with many vehicles.
zeitgeist 13, maybe the block being the core of the design should get greater attention for the exposed unpainted surfaces/adapter plate areas than they have. Not frivolous $ wise but have been accused of being "passive/aggressive" by Jon. Great design & ideas but not an expert in that area. Uncalled for. Anyone who knows really knows me will attest to that!
Mark you are probably spot on, my mechanic said they are buying raw blocks.
Thanks Mellowslow I agree on most of your points on this and sure you know how I feel.
Don't wish to burn any bridges guys which is why being their design took it to them for the install.
Thanks again.
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: FAS Engine Conversion Reply with quote

Pinknoser wrote:

Mark you are probably spot on, my mechanic said they are buying raw blocks.
Thanks Mellowslow I agree on most of your points on this and sure you know how I feel.
Don't wish to burn any bridges guys which is why being their design took it to them for the install.
Thanks again.

I don't know what your mechanic means by "raw blocks", but my AVH came in the crate fully assembled. The accessory pulleys and brackets are added after arrival as those are FAS custom machined for the 50deg mounting. Nothing "raw" about it.

Can't speak to the rust issue since we don't get really get rust here in the desert. I did have paint peeling off of the upper intake manifold not long after install, but I fixed that during the turbo install. But surface rust on a block isn't unusual, and it'll be in the distant future before such rust could be a mechanical issue. If you live in a salt area (or coastal area) it's always smart to spray all the bolts/studs/nut with corrosion inhibitor.
Pinknoser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: FAS Engine Conversion Reply with quote

Khughes, thanks for the input. I intend to document with more pictures all the areas before taking any action addressing the rust issue.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: FAS Engine Conversion Reply with quote

I thought I was anal. For reference, here is a South American VW crate engine after a some miles on it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Again, I'd have to see pictures of your rust bucket engine, but I think you are obsessing over the wrong things. Time to close the engine cover and start enjoying your conversion.

We recently had a house renovated. Job was too big for us to do ourselves. We've been living there a few months now. I still can point out all of the less than perfect stuff, but I just don't look at it anymore. I enjoy the house a lot more when I don't obsess over the things that could have been done better. Its just a house. In your case, it's just an engine. Enjoy.
Pinknoser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: FAS Engine Conversion Reply with quote

Wish I could Mark, small digital camera prints which I sent to FAS because of laptop issues. Which they dissed as being (blurry) not! I intend to post eventually need to take some more from the passenger side. Your block looks fantastic compared to mine. Good luck with the home.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: