Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front suspension rebuild 1966
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Front suspension rebuild 1966 Reply with quote

Well I'm deep into it! Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The front beam has been cleaned and repainted, as has the entire napoleon hat area.
Alot of those parts won't be going back on the car. I'll be installing drop spindles, new ball joints, wide 5 discs, a new big bore dual circuit M/C, and a rack and pinion steering kit from Samba member -Alex77- Very Happy

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue

Last edited by Era Vulgaris on Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension rebuild 1966 Reply with quote

Alex just sent me this pic of my newly fabricated R&P steering kit before he boxed it up to ship.

Here's some more info on this setup if anyone's interested:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=580737
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue

Last edited by Era Vulgaris on Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:44 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension rebuild 1966 Reply with quote

New ball joints that were installed by the PO. Anyone see a problem? Mad
Not a single one out of the 4 that's lined up correctly!
I've got 4 new ones on the way

Previously owned:
Disc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension rebuild 1966 Reply with quote

Last year I ordered the "bracket" from Alex that holds the R&P, unwelded and also got the other parts from Ebay. Well unfortunately the bracket does not fit on the beam, some grinding is needed. The radius of the cut does not fit the OD of the beam. Some other modifications needed too, but I'm still not to that point, probably late this year.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Front suspension rebuild 1966 Reply with quote

Yeah I figured it would need some adjustments. Most non-stock things do. I'm used to taking things apart and modifying them before install Wink
When I decided to get another Ghia, it was under the condition that I was going to ditch the crappy OE steering box at all costs. Whatever it takes man!

Previously owned:
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension rebuild 1966 Reply with quote

I installed new ball joints yesterday, and cleaned and painted my trailing arms.

The last time I replaced ball joints was on my first Ghia about 6 years ago. I'd like to go on record as saying that I'll happily go another 6 years, or hopefully more, before I do that again! Laughing

I've got new trailing arm seals and it'll all go back into the beam once the paint has had a couple days to completely dry.

Previously owned:
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension rebuild 1966 Reply with quote

I'm still waiting for the R&P steering kit to show up. But in the meantime I've been able to reassemble the front beam, install the new drop spindles, and the wide 5 disc rotors. I used the AC Industries disc conversion kit with drop spindles from Socal Auto parts. But I ditched the KML bearings that comes with it, in favor of FAG bearings all around.

Test fit with the wheels looks pretty good! I couldn't get a direct-on side shot because our other car was in the way, but the car now has the slightest forward rake - like just a degree or two. If you just glanced at it, you'd think it was level. The stance is exactly what I was after. I'm glad I went with the drop spindles, and not an adjustable beam like I had originally considered doing.

Also, that's my new custom geared trans in the big box by the rear wheel! Very Happy Rear end rebuild will be happening after I finish the front end.

Previously owned:

Last edited by Era Vulgaris on Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:06 pm; edited 3 times in total
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension rebuild 1966 Reply with quote

It also looks like I hopefully won't have an rub issues. The PO installed new 175/65/15 tires in 2017. We'll see how it behaves under load once I get the car running. But at full L and R there's clearance galore.
Everything I'd read said that a stock width beam with drop spindles and a wide 5 disc conversion would definitely rub, so I was just kind of crossing my fingers and hoping I'd be ok. I guess maybe with stock 80 aspect ratio tires it might be an issue, but the with the 65's it seems like there's tons of room.

Previously owned:
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Front suspension rebuild 1966 Reply with quote

Well, I haven't updated this in a long time. As it does, life gets in the way. I got married at the end of April and then the honeymoon and traveling! We had a blast! And then after we got back home, the brutal summer NC heat and humidity in July and August really de-motivated me from getting much of anything done on the car until this month.

Also another thing that kept me from making progress was Alex's bracket. As Disc mentioned, it just did not fit, and the positioning of the mounts made it impossible for it to ever fit correctly. I sent the whole thing back to Alex and got a refund, less his "restocking fee" Rolling Eyes

Anyway, I picked up another R&P kit from Kerscher Tuning in Germany, and this install has been flawless. Everything fit right, everything went together great. There are a few small bits that aren't included in the kit, and if you're interested on details PM me.
I've pushed the car in and out of my garage and around my driveway, and even at what is probably 1mph it's a totally different world. No slop, no play, just direct precise steering feel. I can't wait until I have the car running and I'm out on the road!

Also, I did a test spray in the area under the gas tank with L444 Malachite Green, just to see how the color looks in real life. That's going to be the color when I'm done with this build! Very Happy

Previously owned:
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension rebuild 1966 Reply with quote

Is this the version you bought?

Conversion kit on rack and pinion steering gear
Conversion kit on rack-and-pinion steering gear for VW models Type 11/15 (1200/1300/1500) and Type 14
(Karmann) with crankshaft axle
from year 08/65

Would this fit later years like a 71? Their website isn't too clear, even using translator.

Thanks, Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension rebuild 1966 Reply with quote

Their website has an English version. There's a German flag and British flag off to the left. Click the British flag for English.
You can also email them. I did with several questions. Their English is pretty good.

Here's the kit:
https://www.kerscher-tuning.de/kaefer/index.php?gruppe1=Lenkung&gruppe2=Lenkung

There's a ball joint beam version (8/65 and later), and a link pin beam version (7/65 and earlier). Those are build dates, as August 65 was the beginning of model year 66.
You'd want the ball joint version for your 71, same as on my 66.

You have to cut your steering column down, and weld in the column adapter that fits into the steering u-joint. That was the scariest part - the measuring and the cutting. I don't know if your 71 has the earlier solid steering column, or the later crash-safety steering column. I had free reign to cut wherever I wanted. I don't know if the late accordion steering columns could pose a problem or not.

Other than that, everything else is bolt on. But you do have to source your own tie rod ends (two stock ghia right hand thread ends), tie rod end nuts, and tapered tie rod jam nuts (you can get these from ISP West. Otherwise hard to find).

Previously owned:
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension rebuild 1966 Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
I sent the whole thing back to Alex and got a refund, less his "restocking fee" Rolling Eyes

Oh HELL NO! You don't get a "restocking fee" when your crap product doesn't fit. You need to lean on his ass to get your full refund. You also need to mention this, AND the fitment issues, in the feedback section.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension rebuild 1966 Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Era Vulgaris wrote:
I sent the whole thing back to Alex and got a refund, less his "restocking fee" Rolling Eyes

Oh HELL NO! You don't get a "restocking fee" when your crap product doesn't fit. You need to lean on his ass to get your full refund. You also need to mention this, AND the fitment issues, in the feedback section.

Yeah, if I had bought the parts from some big corporate entity that had piles of cash to spare I'd be right there with you. But I looked up his address on google maps; he's just some guy in a podunk town in Finland trying to make his way. At no point was he ever rude or impolite, and he never acted like he was trying to rip me off.
To be fair it had been 3 or 4 months since I'd bought the parts from him, which is waaaay beyond most big companies' return window. I was thinking I was going to have to eat the whole cost at that point because I'd been out of town and then procrastinated during the summer heat on actually trying to fit the parts.
I think sometimes you just have to assess a situation based on how someone's behaving. He was professional and polite, and listened to the fitment issues I told him about and hopefully he makes the brackets better in the future. As a self-employed small business owner myself I can relate to his situation, and sometimes you take a small hit and the best thing is just to move on and not dwell on it. I'm not interested in bashing Alex. If someone is interested in his products and does their due diligence by searching this forum, they'll find this thread.

Previously owned:
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension rebuild 1966 Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
Era Vulgaris wrote:
I sent the whole thing back to Alex and got a refund, less his "restocking fee" :roll:

Yeah, if I had bought the parts from some big corporate entity that had piles of cash to spare I'd be right there with you. But I looked up his address on google maps; he's just some guy in a podunk town in Finland trying to make his way. At no point was he ever rude or impolite, and he never acted like he was trying to rip me off.
To be fair it had been 3 or 4 months since I'd bought the parts from him, which is waaaay beyond most big companies' return window. I was thinking I was going to have to eat the whole cost at that point because I'd been out of town and then procrastinated during the summer heat on actually trying to fit the parts.
I think sometimes you just have to assess a situation based on how someone's behaving. He was professional and polite, and listened to the fitment issues I told him about and hopefully he makes the brackets better in the future. As a self-employed small business owner myself I can relate to his situation, and sometimes you take a small hit and the best thing is just to move on and not dwell on it. I'm not interested in bashing Alex. If someone is interested in his products and does their due diligence by searching this forum, they'll find this thread.

I applaud you for your attitude. A little understanding goes a long way.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension rebuild 1966 Reply with quote

Unfortunately, his product fits more than just Ghias & the next unsuspecting buyer may not think to search here. I still suggest, at the very least, posting your experience of his product in his feedback thread.

Think of it as doing the community a favor.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Front suspension rebuild 1966 Reply with quote

Thanks for the follow up info Era. I have the late model crash safety accordion steering column, so if I went this direction, would have decide if that would work or use an earlier version. Not anywhere near doing this now, but something to think about at a later date should I get tired of the drifty feeling I always felt my Ghia had previously.

And I always get concerned when it comes to making precise cuts, I'm better trained and more skilled at breaking things or damaging beyond repair, damn Army!!!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
3de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Front suspension rebuild 1966 Reply with quote

Well, after rebuilding 2 German steering boxes, tearing down a brand-new Brazilian made box and finding out it was complete garbage, then rebuilding a new TRW box and still getting unsatisfactory steering, I'll go the R&P route now.

Thanks to this post I've just placed the order for the Kerscher unit. Any chance there are any more pics of the weld required for the steering column to input-shaft?
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Front suspension rebuild 1966 Reply with quote

I don't have a pic of it freshly welded, which would probably be more helpful. But here it is cleaned up and painted.
What I first had to do was decide how much of the steering column I wanted to cut off. You'll want to mount the rack to the beam with the u-joint on the rack, then based on where that lands, with the adapter in the u-joint, you'll find a point where you'll cut the column. Since you're creating the length of the column, you can change the steering wheel position if you want to. I have long arms so I moved the steering wheel about an inch closer to the dash for a more comfortable driving position.
Once you cut the column, you'll probably need to spend some time with a wire brush cleaning rust expansion out of the inside of the column, because the adapter is a very tight fit.
I drilled holes through the end of the column in both the X and Y axis, and plug welded the adapter through those 4 holes (you can just barely see the outline of one of the plug welds after I ground it down in the first pic below). Then I also welded the end of the column directly to the adapter all the way around.

Here it is installed. Still finishing assembly on the car after a bare metal body-off resto.

Previously owned:
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension rebuild 1966 Reply with quote

No steering dampener?

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension rebuild 1966 Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
No steering dampener?

On an R&P? No.

Previously owned:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: