Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

no oil pressure
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: no oil pressure Reply with quote

Look at CB Performance
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: no oil pressure Reply with quote

ask Whip618 if he has any blueprinted ones for sale. Don't go back down the type 1 pump in a type 4 engine route again. That is what the last person tried.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: no oil pressure Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
ask Whip618 if he has any blueprinted ones for sale. Don't go back down the type 1 pump in a type 4 engine route again. That is what the last person tried.

I second that recommendation. He rebuilt 3 oil pumps for me, and they are better than the original.
Whip618 is a pro and takes pride in his rebuilds.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Teammo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: no oil pressure Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

Update -I purchase and installed a rebuilt pump from Whip618. Put front of engine back together, left off heat exchangers for now.
I checked the oil pick up and tube and look like everything is installed into the gallery, blow air through and no obstructions.
I took spark plugs out, jacked the front of the bus up to make sure the pump should have oil. installed line to the oil pressure port and put other end in a water bottle, cranked over and still no oil pumping.
I don't understand how I cannot have oil at least pumping a little. Not sure what to do now?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: no oil pressure Reply with quote

Teammo wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Update -I purchase and installed a rebuilt pump from Whip618. Put front of engine back together, left off heat exchangers for now.
I checked the oil pick up and tube and look like everything is installed into the gallery, blow air through and no obstructions.
I took spark plugs out, jacked the front of the bus up to make sure the pump should have oil. installed line to the oil pressure port and put other end in a water bottle, cranked over and still no oil pumping.
I don't understand how I cannot have oil at least pumping a little. Not sure what to do now?

Did you prime the pump? Take the sender off the hose, squirt some oil down it. Then crank the engine with it aimed at a jar or pan.

Did you make sure the pump gear slid fully into the cam slot? If these things don't get it, there is a long shot that the old pump wore out the cam thrust bearing or broke it when it spun on the slot. I think that the pump just needs a prime.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: no oil pressure Reply with quote

Sure the tang on your new pump is engaging in the slot in the cam?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: no oil pressure Reply with quote

Get a Coleman funnel from Walmart, it will be in the camping section and the funnel should have a screen in the bottom of it. Using a bit of hose and a 1/8" pipe fitting from a hardware store, rig up a way to hook the funnel up to the oil pressure sender port. Now pour at least a quarter quart of oil into the funnel filling the oil galleys. Use something like a 0w30 oil so it will flow easily. Now crank the engine and see if it will blow the oil back out.

If you still don't make oil pressure remove the mount for the oil filter and see if the valve is still inside the mount, maybe it came apart and is causing a clog in the system. Yes this is a long shot.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: no oil pressure Reply with quote

Going in circles
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Teammo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: no oil pressure Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Sure the tang on your new pump is engaging in the slot in the cam?

Yes the tang is engaged, I also cranked the eng over when the type1 pump was in with the cover plate off and the gears were spinning.
I will try putting oil down the sender gallery tomorrow, I am all cleaned up and little dis-hearted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Teammo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: no oil pressure Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Going in circles

?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: no oil pressure Reply with quote

if you did not prime the pump with oil, it is not going to pick up anything. It will spin forever without pulling oil. You only have to learn that once in your life.

Be 100% sure you put it in so the oil ports aligned with the case. The tangs on the pump should be horizontal when viewed from the outside, and the protrusion at the bottom.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Teammo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: no oil pressure Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
if you did not prime the pump with oil, it is not going to pick up anything. It will spin forever without pulling oil. You only have to learn that once in your life.

Be 100% sure you put it in so the oil ports aligned with the case. The tangs on the pump should be horizontal when viewed from the outside, and the protrusion at the bottom.

yes it is correct but you made me look!
Prime as per Wildthings post, is thats how to prime it ? or should I have done something different when installing it?
thanks again everyone for the help!!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: no oil pressure Reply with quote

Teammo wrote:
SGKent wrote:

yes it is correct but you made me look!
Prime as per Wildthings post, is thats how to prime it ? or should I have done something different when installing it?
thanks again everyone for the help!!

That is one way to prime it, and has the advantage that it fills the oil galleries and gives the bearing a good oiling.

Some people pack the oil pump with grease or vasoline.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: no oil pressure Reply with quote

as long as oil gets down to the oil pump it will pull from the sump. Do make sure that in all this fuss you didn't drain the oil and forget to put some back in. Really.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: no oil pressure Reply with quote

The clearances in the pump need a film to work with,
Vaseline was the recommendation years ago, but your oil of choice
or even a little gear lube will do the trick.
But a dry pump isn't a pump. Coat or spray or funnel something down there
to get it to draw.
Teammo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: no oil pressure Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
So, the engine started and you saw zero oil pressure or it didn't start?

yes started and saw zero pressure on gauge when this all first started

Last edited by Teammo on Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Teammo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: no oil pressure Reply with quote

Well i put in 300 ml of oil via my intravenous setup and cranked it over and on second crank over it built up 22 psi on gauge!!!!
Needless to say I was very excited and much appreciated the help I received from this post! Now to finish putting her back together.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: no oil pressure Reply with quote

Let's recap

Bus drives fine
park it overnight
Start up = no oil pressure
You try everything you can
Finally change pump
Going in circles

Something got missed and it's not priming the pump
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Teammo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: no oil pressure Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Let's recap

Bus drives fine
park it overnight
Finally change pump
Going in circles

Something got missed and it's not priming the pump

Bus drives fine
park it overnight
Finally change pump
Cranked over (not started) = no oil pressure
Going in circles
I did not prime pump properly = no pressure
Added oil via oil pressure switch gallery as per suggestions= pump built up pressure
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: no oil pressure Reply with quote

Quote:
Added oil via oil pressure switch gallery as per suggestions= pump built up pressure

Dancing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: