Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Awning Noise
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tbone5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Awning Noise Reply with quote

Scored a great deal on a used 10 foot Fiamma awning. Used the GoWesty mounts and all seemed good. After hitting the road, however, noticed some wind noise. Is it me or is this just “the cost of doing business”? The leading edge of the awning is about foot back from the front edge of the van. Would changing the position reduce the noise....or should I just turn up the radio and enjoy the ride?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
kublerwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Awning Noise Reply with quote

Not sure what to tell ya. Have a similar awning on similar mounts, I have not heard anything. I would suggest sliding it back a little if you can.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Awning Noise Reply with quote

As a fast test, try taping a leading edge of tape around the nose of the Awning to the Van Body to ‘streamline’ the front. Cone shape or similar like that with multiple pieces of tape getting the effect you want
Drive at the speeds you were hearing the noise, any change with your ‘ wind tunnel’ mod?
It’s similar to taping over a door fully at its edges to see if a wind air bleed noise goes away with the opening fully taped up.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Awning Noise Reply with quote

If you are hearing your awning, that must be one quiet van! Wink Laughing
Some people call him Maurice...
clift_d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Awning Noise Reply with quote

We have a Fiamma mounted on our hightop in roughly the same position and have never noticed any issue with wind noise from it. However we also have All Terrain tyres, a 1.6TD engine, and two kids in the back, so the chances of noticing anything as subtle as awning wind noise are minimal. We have however had issues with the awning rattling on washboard roads but that was fixed with easily resolved with some cable ties
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Awning Noise Reply with quote

It's all aerodynamics. Anything you stick into the airflow unless streamlined with fairings is going to make noise. It is just how observant the driver is on hearing the change.
Doing the tape as suggested will let you hear the noise.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Paulitr6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Awning Noise Reply with quote

You just need to turn up the stereo and enjoy the ride.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Awning Noise Reply with quote

ledogboy wrote:
If you are hearing your awning, that must be one quiet van! Wink Laughing

Razz Razz Razz Dancing
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Awning Noise Reply with quote

I have that same exact setup in the same position and no noise. I did have to run a strap around (like you appear to be doing) the front and back to keep it from rattling, but after that, quiet as a mouse.. Well.. a quiet mouse strapped onto the side of a brick.

*edit.. although my straps are flat velcro straps, so they lay flat and there is nothing sticking out on the sides. Really only noticeable difference in setup. When installing, I was disappointed to find out the hard way that the third GoWesty bracket for the middle is not the same shape as the other two, so you might want to check to make sure your awning is mounted on straight. Looking at it from the rear, it should be completely parallel with the wheels.

Last edited by Crooked Designer on Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Awning Noise Reply with quote

It may be that the air is just hitting the end cap of the awning in just the 'right' way. Maybe try to wrap a hand towel on the end of the awning and see if that lessens the noise as a test.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
tbone5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Awning Noise Reply with quote

Thanks for the input...some great suggestions. I will experiment with those this weekend. I’m in the middle of renovating the interior and setting up a solar electrical system. While doing all that I also worked on sound insulation. Put in the Home Depot version of dynamat and some closed cell foam under MLV. All of that must have worked and lowered the noise floor, hence the ability to hear the wind noise of the awning.
bettingonvans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Awning Noise Reply with quote

It's tough for me to imagine being able to notice such a thing all the way over on the passenger side. Maybe I need new door/roll-up window seals or something.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: