Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Approved Electric Conversions on the Horizon?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: VW Approved Electric Conversions on the Horizon? Reply with quote

Where does this article come from?

Also, the carbon emissions standards were increased after VW was caught cheating on diesel emissions.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
[email protected]
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: VW Approved Electric Conversions on the Horizon? Reply with quote

this is just as crazy as CA banning natural gas.

as I have said in other threads...all this stuff is just going to hurt the elderly and low(er) income families. we need cheap/affordable energy.

anyone with electric heat will tell you the meter will just about blow off the house come winter when you turn it on. I dated a girl in high school who's parents had a modest house (ranch) and back then their electric bill in the winter was 1200/mo. that was more than their mortgage...

I like clean air and water as much as the next guy...but forcing this bullshit upon people is the first step into government dependence if you ask me...

I have the right (or ability) to shop for gas, oil, propane etc....you don't have that option with electricity....at least not as easily as picking up the phone and price shopping.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
bluebus86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: VW Approved Electric Conversions on the Horizon? Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:

Also, the carbon emissions standards were increased after VW was caught cheating on diesel emissions.

if you are referring to the VW CEO comments, I listed the source in the post... Spiegel Online, and the other source... Reuters I also noted in the post.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
bluebus86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: VW Approved Electric Conversions on the Horizon? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

as I have said in other threads...all this stuff is just going to hurt the elderly and low(er) income families. we need cheap/affordable energy.

anyone with electric heat will tell you the meter will just about blow off the house come winter when you turn it on. I dated a girl in high school who's parents had a modest house (ranch) and back then their electric bill in the winter was 1200/mo. that was more than their mortgage...

I like clean air and water as much as the next guy...but forcing this bullshit upon people is the first step into government dependence if you ask me...

I have the right (or ability) to shop for gas, oil, propane etc....you don't have that option with electricity....at least not as easily as picking up the phone and price shopping.

Come on, you can always use your own source of free electricity, i.e. home solar panels during those cold cloudy dark winter nights. Wink

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Approved Electric Conversions on the Horizon? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

if you are referring to the VW CEO comments, I listed the source in the post... Spiegel Online, and the other source... Reuters I also noted in the post.

Do you have a link to the Speigel online article?

Also, what does any of that have to do with electric conversion of old VWs?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
bluebus86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Approved Electric Conversions on the Horizon? Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

Do you have a link to the Speigel online article?

Also, what does any of that have to do with electric conversion of old VWs?

This should take care of your requests.....

1)......Link....
https://www.spiegel.de/auto/aktuell/vw-chef-herber...33510.html

2)....What this has to do with VW r.e. electric cars is that this is the VW CEOs view of the companies switch to electric VW cars. VWs CEOs view as stated is they may not be as green as thought, which is ironic as their precieved greenness is driving the switch.

vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Approved Electric Conversions on the Horizon? Reply with quote

The local grocery store is installing a few electric charging stations. Might as well get some groceries since it can take an hour to recharge the batteries.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: VW Approved Electric Conversions on the Horizon? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

Our All electric home only runs $140/month in Oregon!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Approved Electric Conversions on the Horizon? Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:

Do you have one of these at your front door?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Approved Electric Conversions on the Horizon? Reply with quote

No, it's just a well built/maintained 1983 1440 sq ft manufactured home.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Approved Electric Conversions on the Horizon? Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:

our utilities are very high here. we average about 120/mo but can hit 220-275 in the summer with the a/c going plus running a lift, compressor and a/c unit in the shop. 3k sq ft house and a 1600 sq ft shop with 14' ceilings. CT is just expensive... and I don't think CT will ever have 'cheap' electricity

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Approved Electric Conversions on the Horizon? Reply with quote

Yeah, electricity is going sky high! Shocked

I got solar panels but when it gets too hot I fire up the little ac unit on the wall and run it 24/7 until the heat wave goes away. My bill comes due once a year. Last year they owed me $10. This year I had to pay $36. Razz
bluebus86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Approved Electric Conversions on the Horizon? Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

one Christmas my gas furnace failed, it was fifty some years old. it took a week to get a new furnace installed, not till after new years day. In that week we ran two 1500 watt heaters, the house was cold, never got about 60F in the warmest room near the electric heaters cost nearly 100 bucks extra. Most off the rooms we sealed off and they dropped to 50F We also ran the gas oven a lot!
My normal heating bill in winter for the heating the whole house to 70 F would be about 15 bucks per week in gas. My house I have insulated very well R 30 plus in the attic, most exterior walls at R15, double windows with storm window coverings. fortunately I don't need AC thanks to the insulation I added.

I know parts of Oregon have lots of water powered hydro electric plants, and thus have very low electric prices.

Now in California, I pay about 26 cents per kilowatt hour, using about 200 KWhr a month. Use much more than that and the rate gets higher. it is crazy expensive to heat a home here with electric, but really cheap for gas heat.

bluebus86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Approved Electric Conversions on the Horizon? Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
Yeah, electricity is going sky high! Shocked

I got solar panels but when it gets too hot I fire up the little ac unit on the wall and run it 24/7 until the heat wave goes away. My bill comes due once a year. Last year they owed me $10. This year I had to pay $36. Razz

I was quoted 10 grand for a solar panel roof, that will buy me about 17 years of electric from the utility. 17 year break even point made no sense to me

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Approved Electric Conversions on the Horizon? Reply with quote

Moderator message:
Moving this to Off Topic since we are totally off the original topic.

It's stayed pretty civil so far so if we can stay on that without baseless claims, fear mongering, political BS, and personal insults, it will stay open. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: