Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Do not jack up the car to adjust valves?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveswoodcraft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Do not jack up the car to adjust valves? Reply with quote

Hi have read in a couple of places not to jack up the car when adjusting the valves, is this correct and what is the reasoning behind it if it is?

At 59 years old and not a small guy it would be some much easier to follow all normal safety precautions, jack the car up a little and have some room to maneuver a little.

Thanks
Dave
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Do not jack up the car to adjust valves? Reply with quote

I jack up the right side a little (keeping the wheels on the ground) to adjust #1 and #2 valves. Then I do similar on the left side to do #3 and #4.

Why?
2. To provide more access room

1. To minimize/eliminate any oil leakage/mess
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Do not jack up the car to adjust valves? Reply with quote

I jack the car up. After 45 years i've never had a problem.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Do not jack up the car to adjust valves? Reply with quote

I role mine up on some ramps the night before. This does create more space to work comfortably. So in the event you do jack you car up, us the proper jack points.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Do not jack up the car to adjust valves? Reply with quote

I have never heard of this and can't imagine what it could hurt. I drive the car onto ramps the night before. Guess I've been doing it wrong for over 40 years.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Do not jack up the car to adjust valves? Reply with quote

Probably comes from someone who placed the floor jack under the oil drain plate. Doing this pushes engine up into the body making the valve covers very hard to take off.. just a guess
manoteal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Do not jack up the car to adjust valves? Reply with quote

I put the car in solid blocks of wood under the wheels with brake set and in gear to drain the oil when warm and then do the valves next morning when cold- keeps it level and on all four wheels for oil change. (I take it out of gear to adjust the valves to turn the motor, however, and drop and block front wheels for that.
I can adjust the valves and drain the oil on the ground but much more difficult for me and my large size.
Been doing it this way for 47 years on level ground. I use jack stands for brake adjustments, though- and engine pulls...
Bosch 034 SVDA dizzy by ACN
(2002 Honda Accord for parts runs)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Do not jack up the car to adjust valves? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Probably comes from someone who placed the floor jack under the oil drain plate. Doing this pushes engine up into the body making the valve covers very hard to take off.. just a guess

That's a great guess !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Do not jack up the car to adjust valves? Reply with quote

Also, you can’t go back into the pool until a half hour after you eat. And eating ice cream in the summer causes polio.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Do not jack up the car to adjust valves? Reply with quote

Sometimes I jack the car up, sometimes I don't. It doesnt seem to matter. It's quicker not to get out the jack, but it's easier to work with the car lifted. It depends on which kind of lazy you want to be, but it doesn't matter.
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Do not jack up the car to adjust valves? Reply with quote

Buy a 2 post hoist. Easy for when you are getting older.

You can even have a seat to sit on and a tinny by your side.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Do not jack up the car to adjust valves? Reply with quote

I do whatever is easiest. If I have to jack the car I put supports under it along with the jack.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carsdlt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Do not jack up the car to adjust valves? Reply with quote

I jack up the car - lower both sides down on jack stands - remove rear wheels and go to work...change the oil, clean the screen, adjust the valves and rear brake shoes, check the clutch cable and visually look things over. Much easier to do with the back end up and wheels off.

"If it works, don't fix it....let it break on its own."
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Do not jack up the car to adjust valves? Reply with quote

40 years ago I made a grease pit in the garage, very handy for working under the car.
Can also jack up the car from the grease pit.

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Mercedes SLC 180 Roadster 2018
Murmsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Do not jack up the car to adjust valves? Reply with quote

Another idea on why.
Im not stickin more than my arm under a car on a jack! Just not a good idea.

ramps or jack stands before this old guys adjusts anything.

s
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Do not jack up the car to adjust valves? Reply with quote

I'll jack it up, but put a jackstand under the torsion tube, as well.
daveswoodcraft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Do not jack up the car to adjust valves? Reply with quote

Thanks everyone

It was just what I figured, I could not see a reason to not jack up the car to adjust the valves, but being totally new to bugs I thought maybe I was missing something. And I always chock the wheels and use jack stands if I jack up a car. Watched a friend of mine come very close to being crushed in the 70's just as I was driving into his driveway, I have never taken that chance.

Thanks again
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Do not jack up the car to adjust valves? Reply with quote

daveswoodcraft wrote:
Hi have read in a couple of places not to jack up the car when adjusting the valves, is this correct and what is the reasoning behind it if it is?

At 59 years old and not a small guy it would be some much easier to follow all normal safety precautions, jack the car up a little and have some room to maneuver a little.

Thanks
Dave

I suppose jacking the Bug say with nose down at to steep an angle could shift the oil level such that it could then flow thru the front most pushrod tubes, thus filling the head under the covers with oil such that oil may pour out when cover is removed.

I adjust them usually on level ground not jacked up, but have done it with the rear raised too, but not at to steep an angle. I am a bit of a midget so working room is a not a problem for me.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Do not jack up the car to adjust valves? Reply with quote

One comments related to jacking and the valve covers... but it is opposite of what you have read...
In the normal operation of the engine the crank shaft rotates CW (as seen from the rear of the car). This means the lower side of the crank slings oil to the left side of the engine. While running this can literally fill the left side rocker area with oil. After you shutdown the engine a few minutes are needed for the oil to flow back into the case. We are not talking a ton of oil, just a few ounces. But opening the right side valve cover almost never drips more than a few drops.
To avoid this you could lift the left rear side of the car and leave it higher than the right for a few minutes BEFORE you open the cover. This will allow the oil to drain back into the case reducing the dripping once you open the cover. When placing the car on jack stands (which I encourage)... jack the left side FIRST so the head can drain into the crankcase.

The only rule I strictly follow when it comes to adjusting the valves is only making valve gap measurements on a COLD engine (allowed to cool overnight COLD). I feel even starting the engine for 10sec to roll it forward 5ft would compromise the valve gap measurements.

If you have to move the car into a position where you can do the valve adjustments, do it the night before... or roll it in place by pushing. DO NOT start the engine to move it.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Do not jack up the car to adjust valves? Reply with quote

Make use of all of those mail order boxes that you recycle. Lay them down to catch any oil that drips.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: