Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2088bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

I have never been the type of person to discourage anybody from enjoying their hobby but if you are thinking about building a street legal buggy of some sort give it a long hard think

the insurance part of it is going to be huge stumbling block and facility insurance is very expensive mine is costing almost $300 a month now for the months that I use it
so the( if there is a will there is a way) can turn out to become very costly
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

That is not my experiance at all here in Alberta. My insurance broker did not even require an inspection and the rate I pay for the Buggy is no more than a regular car. This Buggy however was first registered and insured in '76 and has been so off and on by different owners since. Maybe that makes a difference?
2088bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

we are talking about here in Ontario not your province

this is what is happening in Ontario consider yourself lucky to be where you are so if you moved here to Ontario and took up residence here then be aware Ontario does not allow out of province insurance on vehicles registered in this province and realize if you did move you would have to change to an Ontario drivers licence within 90 days of taking up permanent residence in Ontario

if your drivers licence changes your ownership/title changes as well

trust me I have tried the insure out of province thing that's a non starter as well

Last edited by 2088bob on Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
2088bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

on an aside if Lant would provide insurance for our cars you could do next to nothing with the car lant has way too many rules and restriction for all cars they insure so driving your car to work the odd day is out and if you did have a claim on the day you did drive it to work they would not pay

just saying

Nordic Insurance is my facility insurer
2088bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

just for those of you that don't quite believe what I said about out of province insurance for our cars please direct your attention here

https://www.ratelab.ca/can-i-have-auto-insurance-from-another-province/
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

My mistake! I thought I saw "Canada" in the title.
2088bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

and you are right you did if you read most of the entire thread there was a very heavy slant towards Ontario in fact someone suggested we make this a sticky dealing with insurance in Ontario each province has different regs and some of us such as yourself are lucky to live in provinces that have not tightened up the rules as much as others par example rules for road use of UTV' 's in northern Ontario is extremely lax

another example is the road worthiness of the t-rex 3 wheeler it was legal from its introduction in Quebec but has just recently become legal for use in Ontario

state of texas looks like it is trying to ban dune buggies period won't even let them title their cars

if I offended you I am truly sorry it was not meant that way please except my apology

I first insured my car in 1985 cost me $325 for the entire year now costs have risen to almost $300 dollars a month and there is absolutely no other insurance available except facility or better known as high risk insurance they have also made me bring the car for an appraisal every 2 years and at the time of appraisal the representative of the insurance company documents the car with a full set of pictures

I am 63 now and in over 34 years there has never been a claim on this car but the insurance company could care less
2088bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

AMAC1680 wrote:
I'd like to hear about anyone's experience when it came time to make a claim on any of these buggy policies. When I hear of fuzzy values put together by actuaries I wonder what happens at crunch time.

AMAC

yeah good luck with that like my buddy with car titled 1972 beetle they will not pay and have now brought him up on fraud charges
2088bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

PR_Buggy wrote:
MrFlew and 70' Airloom....

Did you two not see my post above regarding Allstate insurance? Give them a try. The last time I checked, they were still providing insurance. I have to wait until next June before my record clears. I'm also doing a rebuild so I have to wait anyway. With any luck, Allstate won't cover them anymore and I'll be screwed. Get on it NOW... Good luck.

allstate will no longer insure buggies either they are not even placing with facility
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

OPRN, don't you remember, Ontario IS Canada Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Here in Saskatchewan I have 3 buggies plated and insured including my Bonneville race car.

Life is good in the west Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

brad
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
oprn wrote:

OPRN, don't you remember, Ontario IS Canada Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

That was my first reaction too but I refrained from pushing the issue and he has apologized very nicely so... all is good! Very Happy Very Happy

I was thinking about this insurance in Ontario thing today and it struck me as very ironic that the province that pours salt and calcium chloride on the roads so heavily that most cars rot out structurally and are unsafe to drive in 3 to 5 years are worried about the safety of a few Buggies that are driven a few miles for pleasure on a nice summer day!
2088bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
slalombuggy wrote:
oprn wrote:

That was my first reaction too but I refrained from pushing the issue and he has apologized very nicely so... all is good! Very Happy Very Happy

I was thinking about this insurance in Ontario thing today and it struck me as very ironic that the province that pours salt and calcium chloride on the roads so heavily that most cars rot out structurally and are unsafe to drive in 3 to 5 years are worried about the safety of a few Buggies that are driven a few miles for pleasure on a nice summer day!

Boy! did you nail that one on the head and they are causing their own environmental disaster first with all the salt and salt brine they pouring on the roads and secondly from all the oil that drips off our street cars from the oil that we spray on them to keep them from rotting out
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

Not to mention the damage it causes to concrete driveways and garage floors! The city of Edmonton here had a 2 year test project using calcium chloride brine just like your cities do. They are now embroiled in a court battle with a citizen claiming damages to his garage floor. Thier defence is that he didn't clean his floor properly!

A co-worker of mine came from Ontario, told me he bought a new Ford station wagon for the family in the late '70s and in 8 months it had perforations in the body. At 3 years old you could almost peal the door skins up and crawl in without opening the doors!

May have been exaggerated but I got the picture!
Bluerail???
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

Thanks for having me, I bought a sand rail recently and didn’t know about the insurance problem. I tried all the usual routes and specialty companies, all a bust . I was given a number to a woman named Kim , facility insurance is for high risk drivers and vehicles. Short serial numbers are another problem ( different department) all this takes time !! From another agent I spoke to said any agent can apply for facility insurance, so it looks like some agents or companies don’t want to bother with facility insurance ( to much work or to difficult) my insurance request is still in process so we will see. See earlier comments for Kim’s information. ( remember that teacher at school that could literally listen to you and tell you are bulls itting them she is now an insurance agent)
Rmcintosh1977
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

Anyone with DUNE buggys out there having any luck with finding affordable insurance coverage in Ontario? Not too many posts talkng about this in the last couple years??????? What's everyone without insurance doing with their buggies?
syncrobuggy1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

There is an Ontario dune buggy Facebook group. Perhaps someone there could help?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: