Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

used vw tdi's - post dieselgate
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: used vw tdi's - post dieselgate Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
I would never own any water cooled VW. Honda and Toyota make a much better product. Get over your brand loyalty thing about VW's just because you own an old air-cooled VW. Ask a professional mechanic that works on all brands of cars any they will point you in the right direction.

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
X2 on that ^^^^^^^^ I’d have to go with consumer reports recommendations which are more closely aligned with real world conditions. You need to balance purchase price to frequency of repair to resale value. Put it all together and the VWs come out near the bottom. Honda,Toyota,Subaru, Lexus. Ck it out. As for asking a mechanic here about VW, the ones here seem to be brainwashed too.

Nope, I'll stick with the VW's
I have no problem putting people into Honda or Toyota, but honestly I think Consumer Reports is full of crap.
I read their recommendations, but never find the stuff they review in stores when I need to buy.
I will thank the folks that sued VW for Timing Chain & tensioner failures.
I got a nice $3100 check for my CC, which paid for a new convertible top on the 2005 New Beetle Convertible.
My timing chain didn’t fail, but we repair as a precaution. The CC got near a 100K it had an intermittent code on the DSG.
Never even bothered to look for the issue with the DSG, the wife wanted a new car, she picked out the VW Atlas, and that was it.
My 2001 V6 Passat with 179,000 miles is my commuter weapon of choice, and the Wife’s 2018 Atlas has had no issues in the first year we have had it.
After 44 years of driving only VW’s I know all the warts, horror stories, and such, and I just don’t care.
I’ve put people in Honda & Toyotas because I know they’ll get a reliable appliance, I’m just looking for more.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: used vw tdi's - post dieselgate Reply with quote

Last edited by tjet on Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: used vw tdi's - post dieselgate Reply with quote

I bought a CPO ‘14 Jetta SportWagen TDI back in February. Got it for $10.5k with 28,xxx on the odometer. I’ve put 10,000 miles on it and it’s been fantastic. We drive DC<->Cape Cod a lot and it’s awesome to fill up in DC and not have to put diesel in till we get to Hyannis, insane mileage.

I spoke to a friend who is a current mechanic at VW before I pulled the trigger. He said to stay away from the push button start and sun roof models and otherwise, they’re great cars.

I heard vw is auctioning the dieselgates back to the dealers 10-15 at a time. Since they all sat for a few years, they all get new batteries, brakes, and tires. They fix the cheat (modify the down pipe and add another o2 sensor). And warranty the emission control system for the life of the vehicle.

So far, I haven’t had any issues. It’s been a really good car. Great for the city and since I have to street park my cars, I can’t justify buying a new car or anything over $10k since some idiot will probably scratch the sides and bumpers while trying to parallel park their suburban.

Don - I forget, what’s your philosophy on oil changes? Vw recommends changing the oil on these TDIs every 10,000 miles.

Last edited by 60vwnewengland on Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PD41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: used vw tdi's - post dieselgate Reply with quote

I've had several TDI's. Got a 1996 Passat TDI now. Got it on eBay for $2500.
Paid $1100 to get it shipped from Florida to Los Angeles.

No smog on a 96 deisel in Cali.

Runs like a champ. The wagon holds 25 gallons.
Keeping it since they are so dependable and insane mileage.

DOES THE 96 - 97 PASSAT TDI WAGON HAVE THE MOST RANGE OF ANY CAR EVER ? THE GUY THAT HOLDS THE RECORD WENT 1400 MILES ON ONE TANK OF FUEL. I GET 800 + MILES AROUND TOWN WITH MY FOOT INTO IT !
PD41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: used vw tdi's - post dieselgate Reply with quote

TDIClub.com

Has all the info on VW TDI's
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: used vw tdi's - post dieselgate Reply with quote

60vwnewengland wrote:

I forget, what’s your philosophy on oil changes? Vw recommends changing the oil on these TDIs every 10,000 miles.

I would half that, or do 4k oil changes for a lot of reasons...one is no one checks their oil anymore...and at 10k you're low...for sure.

other reason is to spot any issues early on. I have seen too much preventable (expensive) damage due to extended oil changes.

use good filters. Chinese ones collapse, clog and literally fall apart. mann, mahle or VW only

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: used vw tdi's - post dieselgate Reply with quote

the regular sunroofs are fine, it's the panoramic sunroof that's the issue in the wagons. these have drains that need cleaned, and spider guards that clog and keep them from draining... I've seen people are getting those removed

the retractable sunshade on them is a problem too. Mine is sagging in my tiguan...

I'm ready to trade the tiguan in and get a sport wagon TDI for the mileage and being able to fit a bike in the back. only thing holding me back is nowing the resale value is zero and I will likely own the car the rest of my life lol
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: used vw tdi's - post dieselgate Reply with quote

Last edited by tjet on Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PD41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: used vw tdi's - post dieselgate Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

I would half that, or do 4k oil changes for a lot of reasons...one is no one checks their oil anymore...and at 10k you're low...for sure.

10,000 is fine. The TDI gurus on TDTclub.com have sent out many samples
for oil analysis and if you use the recommended synthetic oil and a quality filter 10k is no problem.

They have a sticky thread on this with lab results.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=154548
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: used vw tdi's - post dieselgate Reply with quote

PD41 wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

10,000 is fine. The TDI gurus on TDTclub.com have sent out many samples
for oil analysis and if you use the recommended synthetic oil and a quality filter 10k is no problem.

They have a sticky thread on this with lab results.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=154548

yup, just fine...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

what it's suppose to look like

but...to each their own...

no one will ever win the argument with me. filters plug, and bypass out of that valve on the oil filter housing (or pump depending on design) and you have unfiltered oil going thru your engine.

I can't tell you how many engines I have de-sludged from 2001 onward...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history

Last edited by skills@eurocarsplus on Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: used vw tdi's - post dieselgate Reply with quote

Last edited by tjet on Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: used vw tdi's - post dieselgate Reply with quote

There in no way on God's green earth you will ever convince me to leave that small of a quantity of oil in a diesel engine for that long! That oil would be thick and black like tar!
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: used vw tdi's - post dieselgate Reply with quote

Last edited by tjet on Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: used vw tdi's - post dieselgate Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
That's not syn oil deposits. Mine does not look like that. If it did, I would not recommend 10k oil changes

castrol synthetic. this was one of the last ones I did at the dealer before I left.

yes, synthetic turns to shit too.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: used vw tdi's - post dieselgate Reply with quote

Last edited by tjet on Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: used vw tdi's - post dieselgate Reply with quote

That's not the oil pan.
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: used vw tdi's - post dieselgate Reply with quote

useful thread modulo the usual bloviators

I still don't think the TDI is the car for him, although they look pretty darn tempting for me ... too bad I'm not in need of a car, I'd be shopping for one myself. Dan, you seemed to get a good deal on your, from what I could see the low mileage ones are north of 11k.

I'll add Subaru to the list, although I'm still sticking it next last in my list for him
1) Mazda 3
2) Honda fit
3) Toyota prius
4) Subaru impreza
5) Golf 2.5

The only reason I put the prius third is he wants something that feels a little sporty and the mazda3 and honda fit with manual transmission should feel 'sporty'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: used vw tdi's - post dieselgate Reply with quote

iamdonquixote wrote:
Dan, you seemed to get a good deal on your, from what I could see the low mileage ones are north of 11k.

Rob, I think so too. Plus I've never seen the brown color. I called it the Champagne edition dieselgate wagon... Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: used vw tdi's - post dieselgate Reply with quote

Chad1376 wrote:

I autocross with a guy who raced a Fit, along with this wife, for a number of years. Not only did were they able to drive it competitively (they're both good drivers), but as far as I know, they haven't had any issues with it. This is full redline shifts, hard braking, cornering on 3-wheels, spinning and thrashing the car. No issues. If it can put up with that, it should be super reliable as a retirees daily driver.

Wow-- and it hasn't decided to spit the #2 or #3 spark plug out of the cylinder head and through the coil pack yet?
Very common issue- niece's 2011 Fit decided to do it to her on the interstate at 2 in the morning. had to tow it to the shop and have a helicoil installed, then a couple months later another one came loose (luckily didn't blow this one completely out like the other.) I lock threaded those MFs back in, screw it.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: used vw tdi's - post dieselgate Reply with quote

I keep going back and forth on Subaru- I'd love to have an Outback but my budget would probably only allow me to buy one at least 7-8 years old, and then you get into the possible head gasket (definitely 00-10, maybe 11 and 12) and excessive oil consumption (13-16, resulting in class action lawsuit) issues. Plus, I want the stick shift and those stingy tightwads never offered the Outback in a 5 speed or more recent 6 speed manual with the H6, that chaps my hyde.
Still like to have one though.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: