Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I have until May
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
meatness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: I have until May Reply with quote

Another bug noob starting a project. Thank to all those who have taken the time to document builds and write how to's. This is going to be one of my main sources for information.

Picked up a clapped out 68 convertible that is going to be a surprise 50th birthday gift to my wife in May. I have a lot of work cut out for me and am in info gathering mode right now. I am going to start the tear down once I get a project that is sitting on my plate done, shouldn't be more than another couple of weeks.

Goal : Match my wife's described dream car, stay within budget and have a driving safe car with a solid body and paint by her birthday. Doesn't have to be perfect by then but has to be close.

One with the pics!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

Looks like the car's had a good life.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

May shouldn't be a problem... but what year? Razz
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

meatness wrote:
Another bug noob starting a project.
Picked up a clapped out 68 convertible that is going to be a surprise 50th birthday gift to my wife in May.

Did you remember to add 6 months on to your estimated finish date?

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

If you plan on having that done by May, then you're going to be putting in so many hours on it that it's no longer be a surprise, or she'll have divorced you because you have disappeared for the next 9 months or you have emptied the bank account by paying someone else to pound that thing out. Good luck.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Murmsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

whats your budget?
where is your skill level? What skills are you willing to learn?
How much daily time do you have?
Hows the engine? trans? brakes? How does it drive now?

s
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

Rethink your plan. It's a good car and an excellent candidate for a rebuild, but only the very experienced with ample time and money could get it done by May. If this is your first rebuild, then 2 years would be a better ETA.

Maybe give it to her for Christmas and then work on it together?
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
If you plan on having that done by May, then you're going to be putting in so many hours on it that it's no longer be a surprise, or she'll have divorced you because you have disappeared for the next 9 months or you have emptied the bank account by paying someone else to pound that thing out. Good luck.

This!!!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
Rethink your plan. It's a good car...

Not with that rotted reinforcement channel & sagging floor pan. The sagging floor pan suggests that the bottom of the heater channels are no longer intact.

The edge of the floor pan should not be visible below the reinforcement.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

If I had that kind of deadline I would replace the reinforment rails and throw a cheap paint job on it back to it's original color. DON'T STRIP THE CAR!

It will be fine for a sunday driver.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
meatness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

I hear you guys for sure. You all make a TON of sense and I am debating just telling her about it now and moving the project to my shop. However, even though I am a bug noob, I have built more than 30 cars and used to run a small race shop. That was a lifetime ago however and it is a different ball of wax to build something in a shop and to build something in your buddies driveway when you can sneak away or pretend you are helping someone out......

I may move forward with the build and see where I get by Christmas. I unfortunately won't be able to no strip the car, just isn't in my nature to half ass anything, especially a car build.

Also I have a bunch of support. My son works at a body shop, a good friend of mine is very knowledgeable on bugs, I have another friend that does custom interior that has offered to do the bug back to stock. I am thinking that using my support group this is maybe feasible.

Still have to get the international together though before I even start to take it apart and see how deep I really am.

Last edited by meatness on Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
N9PHW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

I guess I'll sign up since I'm already in on it...
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

Looking forward to see how it goes for you! Smile
Dal Churchill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

Surprises are nice, but maybe she'd want to be involved with the build in some way? I'd tell her about the project and make life easier on yourself.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

meatness wrote:

...a good friend of mine is very knowledgeable on bugs...

You should have gotten some input from your buddy before picking this thing up.

That car will NEVER get done with the “sneaking over to a buddy’s & working on it in his driveway.” approach.

You won't have the correct tool to do whatever job that you need to do, even though you know right where it is in your shop. The weather won't cooperate with your schedule. Your wife will start questioning why you spend more time at your "buddy's" house instead of with her. Once you start lying to her about what you're doing, no matter what your intentions are, you have broken her trust.

jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

I like Dal's idea. I'd tell her about it, and let her see the progress. Easier to 'sneak away' when she knows you're working on *her* car.

Smile
N9PHW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

I'm the friend... he is covered for tools between the two of us and his wife is used to him helping friends all the time, it's just the type of guy he is. Pieces of it can be done in his shop as she won't recognize parts/sub-assemblies individually. The key to this project will be finding the right balance. It won't be done but it can be far enough along. To be a great surprise.

Break it up into chunks, call in some favors, learn to embezzle money... it's all good Very Happy
meatness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

I told her about the bug. It wasn't going to work as she is the household accountant. She is excited and we will start the build as soon as I can get the international out of the shop.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

I was going to tell you to tell the wife that a customer wants you to restore their bug. But too late!

No big deal. You chose the best course. It will still be a surprise—if you don’t let her see it all the time you’re working on it. The “reveal” will be a great surprise.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
John Galt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

Hey I just wanted to offer some encouragement!

That look on your face says it all! You seem to know what you're getting into.

I agree May 2020 is ambitious, to say the least, but please keep us informed of your progress.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: